Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

52 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This is the kind of thing I was alluding to in my post speculating what might happen next if ground invasion starts faltering, or gets too bogged down.

The Russians are working on a lot of new tech things that will not advance without direct intervention of China.  if China helps them it will mean China is violating the sanctions regime and will trigger some things against China that Wal-Mart, GM, Ford (is Ford still heavily in china?) and the rest of the Global Economy won't like.

39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m not sure how much we should take the word of a considered work of fiction, although I would agree that special forces are likely to be trained in that kind of fake accent subterfuge. I could see that being applied to the situation mtutiger brought up, the Russians who were undercover as Ukrainian police at the checkpoint.

I tend to believe that’s a minute percentage of the total armed force. The subsequent post suggesting Russian army regulars might be stealing clothes from houses to go undercover and cause mayhem among the civilians got me thinking about whether the average Russian could pull off a local Ukrainian accent without any special training. Unless they’ve all been special-trained in faking accents as part of their regular training the past few years. That’s possible, I suppose.

Sorry if my comment was confusing, I didn't mean we should take the book as fact. I was using it as an example in case you read it or wanted to.  It was known the Soviets were running schools for KGB in the 60's through the 90's, and maybe earlier, to train people to blend into society of other countries.       

42 minutes ago, Archie said:

Sorry if my comment was confusing, I didn't mean we should take the book as fact. I was using it as an example in case you read it or wanted to.  It was known the Soviets were running schools for KGB in the 60's through the 90's, and maybe earlier, to train people to blend into society of other countries.       

No need for apologies, I was simply building on your comment.

France intercepted a Russia-bound cargo ship in the English channel early Saturday on suspicion it is subject to new European Union sanctions against Russia for invading Ukraine.

French authorities said they were checking whether the 400-foot commercial vessel, named the Baltic Leader, is owned by a Russian entity on the EU sanctions list. The boat, which was carrying vehicles, is now docked in the French port of Boulogne-sur-Mer, where it is being inspected, a French official said, adding that its crew was being cooperative.

The U.S. put a boat of the same name on the U.S. sanctions list for belonging to Promsvyazbank, a state-owned bank focusing on Russia’s defense sector that is also on the EU sanctions list.

-WSJ

32 minutes ago, romad1 said:

HOLY CRAP..  RT is still on my Directv.   Wut the awctual fwuck!

The only argument I could see is that it may lead Russia to take western outlets off their air (ie. BBC). Which may not be a trade worth making considering how few people actually watch RT in America.

Idk tho