Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

3 hours ago, casimir said:

My wife's uncle's husband is from the Kyiv area.  He has been in the US for probably around 25 years.  He still has family around Kyiv, and he has been able to maintain communication so far despite some of the damage that they've had around them.

My buddy's wife is from Kherson.

Kherson controls the water supply into Crimea and is a heavy target by Russian forces. Kherson is on the west side of the Dnieper River. Ukrainian forces have so far held off Russian attackers from being able to get over the bridge from the Crimean side (east) of the Dnieper to the Kherson side.

The Royal Welsh nee' Welch was the unit of Robert Graves of excellent WWI memoir Goodbye to all of that and a bunch of other literary stuff but I don't know because i didn't read it.

Glad to see other heavy units moving in besides ours. 

Edited by romad1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, oblong said:

What would be so bad if other countries just snuck in some pilots and planes and shot up those convoys?  Who would have to know?  Just deny it.  “Wasn’t us?”  Why can’t it be done now?  They have equipment. 

I've been fever dreaming this would happen for the past couple of hours...

39 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This is a good reality check. Still a lot on the line going forward 

on the other hand, in comparison to other recent conflicts where the Russians stumbled and eventually reset, they were not facing an adversary with a $20 trillion economic resupply line (and that's just the EU, $40 trillion if you count the US). The Russians will not be able to wear down the Ukrainians resource wise if they maintain a will to fight and supply lines can be kept open - the latter being the big question of course.

I wonder to what degree this understanding by the Russian General staff has argued against them fighting the more all out war that Putin may want and that is now predicted to be next. If they start killing a lot of civilians, political pressure in Europe will become untenable and it will draw that much more Euro military resource into the battle, whether official - or as Rob notes - possibly unofficial.

If you 'sell' a blue and yellow Predator to Ukraine and fly it from inside the border, no-one will be able to prove it was a CIA team in Poland doing the piloting... and so on.

Edited by gehringer_2

58 minutes ago, oblong said:

What would be so bad if other countries just snuck in some pilots and planes and shot up those convoys?  Who would have to know?  Just deny it.  “Wasn’t us?”  Why can’t it be done now?  They have equipment. 

Even if it wasn't us, he will still use it as justification. I mean he said Ukraine is run by Nazis.

9 minutes ago, romad1 said:

RT is still on Directv.  WTF AT&T

Yeah - they are little behind the curve. BP and Shell out, Microsoft moved within hours to shut down a Russian hack a couple of days ago, Facebook closing the checkbook for Russian sites, Google controlling map data, Finland talking about NATO, Germans writing $100 billion checks, Switzerland (!) freezing assets.  I'm sure in his wildest dreams Putin never anticipated the length and breadth of the opposition he was going to galvanize. How long can it be before Xi sees which way the commercial wind is blowing and throws him overboard as well?

Edited by gehringer_2