Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

FTR, i wouldn't mind seizing yachts owned by oligarchs who are tied to the ongoing conflict.  Keep it legal.  

Absolutely, you don't need to sabotage any property that is not inside your own jurisdiction.  Just confiscate, permanently, assets that are within your own territory and sell them.  I would imagine that most of the Mayfair neighbourhood in London would be for sale, and Chelsea FC as mentioned above is another good example.

21 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

These would be more war crimes. 

No doubt that Putin and the Ruskies are committing war crimes.  Big question is what is going to be done about it?  Nothing will be.  If it goes to the UN, China and Russia won't approve any punishment or even an admonishment.  If US or NATO strikes back in retailiation we will be in a nuclear war. The time to stop Putin was before this even started.  We were way to weak to do that and Putin took advantage of it.

31 minutes ago, Archie said:

No doubt that Putin and the Ruskies are committing war crimes.  Big question is what is going to be done about it?  Nothing will be.  If it goes to the UN, China and Russia won't approve any punishment or even an admonishment.  If US or NATO strikes back in retailiation we will be in a nuclear war. The time to stop Putin was before this even started.  We were way to weak to do that and Putin took advantage of it.

Here’s the $64 question: what could we have done to effectively stop it, put Putin in his place, and entirely avoid war?

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Here’s the $64 question: what could we have done to effectively stop it, put Putin in his place, and entirely avoid war?

We need a strong leader and someone who instills fear in our enemies.  Biden is not that person.  The world sees how weak he is and knows he's not playing with a full deck.  Harris isn't effected by dementia but shes a moron who has no business in that position.  It doesn't matter if they're Dem or Rep, strength and and the ability to instill fear is something any POTUS needs. We're in a very bad place right now.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

We need a strong leader and someone who instills fear in our enemies.  Biden is not that person.  The world sees how weak he is and knows he's not playing with a full deck.  Harris isn't effected by dementia but shes a moron who has no business in that position.  It doesn't matter if they're Dem or Rep, strength and and the ability to instill fear is something any POTUS needs. We're in a very bad place right now.

Every time you mention dementia, you know you lose any credibility in what you say, right?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Archie said:

Vladimir Putin was always going to to do this. This was aspirational for him. By all accounts, one thing we can take him at his word on is that he sees the fall of the USSR as a cataclysmic event and that, at 71 years old and reports that maybe he's not in the best of health, he sees restoring Russia to it's previous glory as part of his lasting legacy.

Not everything that happens in the world or every decision a world leader makes revolves around domestic American politics. 

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, buddha said:

why would nato moving against ukraine cause china to move against taiwan?  because the us would be too occupied in europe to fight?

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

In a word, yes. That would be my concern. 

Just my guess, but the hotter it gets in Europe I think the more China will disengage.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Just my guess, but the hotter it gets in Europe I think the more China will disengage.

They haven't "broken" with Russia, but I am honestly surprised at how tepid their engagement with Russia is right now, tbh. I would have expected them to be a more closer partner.

12 minutes ago, Archie said:

Please answer the question. What could have been to effectively stop Putin and avoid war entirely?

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Please answer the question. What could have been to effectively stop Putin and avoid war entirely?

And please be concrete.... no platitudes about "projecting strength", actual concrete actions that would have effectively stopped Putin and avoided this war.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1