Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

if true that could/should invoke a Nato air response. That is an attack on all of Europe.

Not to mention it's a loser's strategy - why you make a mess that could cost billions to fix if you think you will be the paying the bills. Of course you can say that about Putin's whole campaign. Even if he wins, it's a huge loss.

I'm trying not to react too much not knowing what the actual risk level is... but Goddammit, a firefight at a nuclear power plant is pretty fricken concerning

42 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Now that Putin is attacking a nuclear power plant we can answer Sting's question about if the (or the one that matters) Russians love their children too.  Goddamn you vladdie.

Russians love their children too.

Vladdie just doesn't give a shit.

About anything.

Except power (and money).

At what point does everyone conclude that WWIII has already started?  This doesn’t end until Putin is eliminated.  He realizes there is no pulling back.

The Russian army isn’t especially formidable. Of course the big problem is the nukes. This is a tough one.  

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Now that Putin is attacking a nuclear power plant we can answer Sting's question about if the (or the one that matters) Russians love their children too.  Goddamn you vladdie.

The nuclear plant is burning per Ukraine sources. Zelenskey is asking for a cease fire. 

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Are we at risk of a nuclear meltdown. I know this won't be exactly like Chernobyl, but what risk is posed now of a radioactive leak or meltdown?

Per my friend who was a nuclear officer on a US Navy fast attack sub, he says the plant is not an RBMK reactor (like Chernobyl) but is closer to Fukishima.  He says that kind of plant has but one weak point.  So, I ask him "is the weak point that Russia is ruled by an asshole?"

He responds:  "So, two weak points.   Because that reactor type needs active cooling when its shut down hence diesel generators."  

That's all greek to me as a non-expert.  But you get the main point that its not a crazy precipice of danger.  Its the kind of danger that could grow if Putin decides to not call off his forces and they attack the cooling tower or something.  

36 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

While I don’t necessarily disagree that this would be a bad thing, it’s pretty reckless to tweet this. 

Graham is right in principle. Someone in Putin's dacha should step up and remove him from power. He's gone well past the point of return and completely crazy. A sitting US Senator should not be publicly suggesting that though. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Graham is right in principle. Someone in Putin's dacha should step up and remove him from power. He's gone well past the point of return and completely crazy. A sitting US Senator should not be publicly suggesting that though. 

Yup. If it happened, that would be fantastic. This is just likely going to be used as propaganda, however. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Per my friend who was a nuclear officer on a US Navy fast attack sub, he says the plant is not an RBMK reactor (like Chernobyl) but is closer to Fukishima.  He says that kind of plant has but one weak point.  So, I ask him "is the weak point that Russia is ruled by an asshole?"

He responds:  "So, two weak points.   Because that reactor type needs active cooling when its shut down hence diesel generators."  

That's all greek to me as a non-expert.  But you get the main point that its not a crazy precipice of danger.  Its the kind of danger that could grow if Putin decides to not call off his forces and they attack the cooling tower or something.  

If it's a western style water cooled reactor, and its undamaged and you just want to stop it - you drop in the control rods and the reactions die out, but after you do that you still have so much heat in the core you have to keep cooling for a long time or the fuel rods will still melt - thus you need to have power available for cooling (and intact cooling towers) for some extended time - probably a minimum of 12 hrs to maybe 24 or more.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Well, not just the cooling tower, but anything in the area.  I'm pretty sure Russia wasn't trying to hit Babyn Yar, but it was awfully close to that TV station they wanted to take out.