Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

I have been more than a little emotional these last few nights seeing the spirit in the Ukrainians.  It reminds me of watching The Battle of Britain with my son when he was very small and explaining to him that his English relatives were fighting for the very existence of Democracy. 

Imagine you were given this decision in your life.  Stay and fight monstrous evil for your country.   And evil is happening to them.  This won't end without unimaginable suffering. 

My son is now 18 and intently interested in what is happening.   As a parent this is really challenging.  I can tell him how I know the US and NATO air forces would clean every clock in Russia if they created a no-fly zone but then we would risk nuclear war. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

HO LEE CRAP

I should be happy he said anything but when I hear "There's no room in the GOP for [insert whatever shitty thing GOP is doing]" I automatically think.... There's definitely room in the GOP for [insert whatever shitty thing GOP is doing]

14 hours ago, smr-nj said:

If he doesn’t mention him by name… and he won’t….. it’s basically meaningless.

I agree, although in Pence’s defense, he will be expelled from party-backed public speaking engagements if he does drop the T-bomb during these. So this might be as much as he can say at all.

Having some awareness of the crap on these trains.  They are scraping the bottom of the barrel.  Russia has more human resources to send at Ukraine but the people of Russia are awakening to the idea that they have an Afghanistan on their hands in which there are 40M mujaheddin armed with the most effective western weapons.

Suppose Putin announces that he will agree to peace talks immediately only if Trump is involved in the talks as a lead representative on the Allied side, or else Russia continues to shell Ukrainian civilians with promises to up the ante to missiles and nukes. That’s a condition that would sorely tempt the Allies to agree to the demand, just to stop the killing. Putin’s goal would be to strengthen Trump’s position here at home to assure his election in 2024, after which Trump could create the conditions necessary for Putin to get Russia back up to better than previous full strengthen. That would be the plan, anyway.

God, what a revolting idea.

13 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Random thought: watching Ukraine's government run laps around the vaunted Russian disinformation machine makes me wonder how effective they really were.

Discuss 

I think the difference is that Russia’s disinformation machine thrives in conditions of peace, during which their target market is not attuned to it. Disinformation is at its most insidious when it works on a mind at rest. A mind heightened by crisis is far less likely to fall for the bullshit.

13 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Still doesn't excuse him from standing by looking at he who will not be named adoringly for 3 years and 11 months or so. If Pence is indeed running I may need to stock up on popcorn.

Pence was willfully ignorant of Trump’s worst impulses and behaviors, hoping against hope he could be talked into the mainstream Republican fold. All the mainstream Republicans were equally willfully ignorant, with the same hopes. Pence was in the position of not being able to publicly abandon that hope at any point because of his unique position, which I think is why he stayed silent until well after the end.

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Suppose Putin announces that he will agree to peace talks immediately only if Trump is involved in the talks as a lead representative on the Allied side, or else Russia continues to shell Ukrainian civilians with promises to up the ante to missiles and nukes. That’s a condition that would sorely tempt the Allies to agree to the demand, just to stop the killing. Putin’s goal would be to strengthen Trump’s position here at home to assure his election in 2024, after which Trump could create the conditions necessary for Putin to get Russia back up to better than previous full strengthen. That would be the plan, anyway.

God, what a revolting idea.

not likely but definitely nauseating

Random thought: watching Ukraine's government run laps around the vaunted Russian disinformation machine makes me wonder how effective they really were.

Discuss 

What if it's that there are people in the US that wanted to believe it but in Ukraine they don't?   

Discuss 

Deff a different invasion approach to modern armies. Look at Iraq/Afghan, we ran with "Shock and Awe" stikes for a long time before ground troops were deployed. Russia is taking the WWII warfare approch leaving their ass wide open with these columns of armor and no air support. If the U.S. were allowed in from the begining no way they would advance in this manner. Putin of course knows this so I think he was just arrogant and thought Ukraine would roll over. 

They can't be reporting back sunshine in roses. The misinformation machine has to running in overtime to keep Russians feeling this is moral and right.

Edited by Tigeraholic1