Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

29 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Much more capable than non-f-35s of most any stripe (except F-22s)

funny how sometimes mundane engineering issues turn out to be some of the hardest - like heat. A big problem for jet powered STOLs is that they cook the runway - which of course is a really big issue for using them on aircraft carriers. e.g, I saw they are working on the next generation of the V-22 where only the rotors pivot and not the whole engine so the hot exhaust stays off the deck, but of course that's much more mechanical complexity than having the whole engine plus rotor rotate together as on the V22

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

So, in terms of capability.  F-22s which stopped being produced in when...2010 or so...are still better than ANYTHING else out there.   We aren't giving anyone those.  F-35s are produced in a bunch of variants.  I think they even have a variant for "austere" airfields.

they should give Northrup their shot a producing the F23

image.png

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Long thread, and I can’t confirm it’s all true, but it makes sense with all the issues the Russian military has been having. 

Sounds too familiar for comfort. Shrub should have had this guy in his ear instead of Rumsfeld and Cheney. Marx didn't have it quite right, history can repeat and both times it's still just tragedy.

Edited by gehringer_2

43 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

they should give Northrup a shot a producing the F23

The next aircraft is already on the drawing board.  A program for something like NGADF or some such acronym which will take all the good ideas from F-22 and F-23 and F-35 programs (and lessons learned) as well as some much more expensive things.  Most likely next trend is "buddy wingmen" who will be similar performance capable UAVs that will assist the fighter bomber with covering its 6 and delivering ordinance into air defenses. 

This is the 6th generation fighter.  F-22s and F-35s are 5th generation.  F-16 and Mig 29s are 4th. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Generation_Air_Dominance#:~:text=The Next Generation Air Dominance (NGAD) is the,to as the F-X or Penetrating Counter-Air (PCA).

Notable that Russia's 5th gen fighter has not been seen in the war. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-57

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Just think of the strange cognitive dissonance that must be dancing in Vladdy's hot little brain, who after spending his life critiquing US military misadventures, has fallen into making every mistake we ever did, and in spades.

Indeed. And frankly, many observers in America misread this as well. Its almost like people looked at the percentage of the population that speaks Russian or whether particular oblasts or cities voted for Yanukovych in 2010 and assumed that all of those folks would be fine with an all-out invasion.

It's more likely that Russian-speaking or Russian-leaning Ukrainians hold that position within the context of an independent, self-determined Ukraine... not under threat or realization of an actual invasion by Russians

Edited by mtutiger

Just now, mtutiger said:

Indeed. And frankly, observers in America misread this as well. Its almost like people looked at the percentage of the population speaks Russian or whether particular oblasts or cities voted for Yanukovych in 2010 and assumed that those folks would be fine with an all-out invasion.

It's more likely that Russian-speaking or Russian-leaning Ukrainians hold that position within the context of an independent, self-determined Ukraine... not under threat or realization of an actual invasion by Russians

I know some on this board who did.

5 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I know some on this board who did.

And that is fine. People are allowed to disagree or may see things differently. 

I would just suggest that the assumptions as such were a little too simplistic... arguably, they may play into Putin's line about Ukrainians lacking an identity which, as we are now learning, couldn't be further from the truth.

I'm not so sure Vlad sees what's happening as mistakes, just yet. The failures of the cannon fodder brigades he sent in as ground forces may be giving him the pretext he needs to go nuclear on Ukraine. I'm thinking he's relishing the idea so that he can join America in the drop-a-nuke-on-another-country club. After all, look how well America did after nuking Japan in 1945? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don't know. Who knows what that guy is thinking. But I wouldn't necessarily assume a conventional reaction by Putin to anything that's happened so far.

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

And that is fine. People are allowed to disagree or may see things differently. 

I would just suggest that the assumptions as such were a little too simplistic... arguably, they may play into Putin's line about Ukrainians lacking an identity which, as we are now learning, couldn't be further from the truth.

I know some professionals who got this wrong.  Totally wrong.  I had a laugh with the one guy I talk to the other day who had some experience with the Russian efforts in Eastern Europe.

Me: "I guess you had Zelensky wrong"

Him:  "Well you remember Winston Wolf's line from Pulp Fiction don't you?"

Looking at this.  I see infantry wrecking un-checked havoc on armor.   I see AR pattern rifles (with precision optics like any American can buy off the shelf or via Amazon) mixed with the AK pattern rifles and I see tactical gloves.  I also see helmets that look like the kind that US special operators wear.