Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

There was an excellent opinion piece in the WSJ this past weekend. The opinion was provided by Robert Service, a leading historian of Russia. 
Service says, “The Russian invasion of Ukraine resulted from two immense strategic blunders. The first came on November 10, when the U.S. and Ukraine signed a Charter on Strategic Partnership, which asserted asserted America’s support for Kyiv’s right to pursue membership in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.” Mr. Service called it “the last straw.”

Mr. Service cites Putin’s underestimation of the West’s ability to respond as urgently and cohesively as it has as the second strategic blunder. He says that Putin had come to believe, “ that the West was a shambles, both politically and culturally.” He also stated that Putin saw saw Western leaders as of, “poor quality, and inexperienced in comparison to himself.”

——————

His points make it very clear why and when Putin decided to move…He  points out as well that Putin also saw the West more vulnerable without Merkel.
I guess Chancellor Scholz was the biggest surprise.

I keep seeing very humbling things like this. 

One of the nighttime shows on MSNBC or CNN has this couple on for interviews who are in Kyiv who were just married.  They charm of them in their BDUs preparing to fight to the absolute end together is very touching.   

4 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I just read that Biden is going to ban Russian oil. It’s the right move but get ready for $6 plus per gallon coming….

The impact of that will be negligible in America.

It's Europe that would get pounded by banning Russian oil/ gas. Which is why they can't do it yet. Probably not before the end of this year. Which means the U.S. banning Russian oil will have... minimal effect.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

... I guess Chancellor Scholz was the biggest surprise.

Yeah...

BIG surprise there... for everyone!

Putin. NATO. EU. Germany. Ukraine. USA.

No one expected Scholz to react this way... with Thor's Hammer! And he did.

Edited by 1984Echoes

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis (born in Ukraine) are sending (have $16 mill right now) a proposed $30 mill in donations to Ukraine; although I believe they are contributing $3 mill out of that total...

That's a BIG chunk of money from Leo himself. Damn! Good job!

8 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis (born in Ukraine) are sending (have $16 mill right now) a proposed $30 mill in donations to Ukraine; although I believe they are contributing $3 mill out of that total...

That's a BIG chunk of money from Leo himself. Damn! Good job!

Not quite oligarch wealth but they have a lot of cash. 

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

The impact of that will be negligible in America.

It's Europe that would get pounded by banning Russian oil/ gas. Which is why they can't do it yet. Probably not before the end of this year. Which means the U.S. banning Russian oil will have... minimal effect.

$4.25 a gallon already and diesel touching $5. Minimal more than THAT is still a big deal.