Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

44 minutes ago, romad1 said:

This information is not confirmed but appears to be of a pattern. 

Two things:

1) I'm not certain if command vehicles are marked as such; but if so, easy targets for the Ukrainians (who can also hear Russian comm's and... get this, both read and translate/understand Russian...)

2) Is senior Russian military leadership at the front lines due to Putin's demand? Or because of current on-the-ground failures to-date? Or both? Regardless, it doesn't seem to be helping much...

58 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

While this seems very far away from happening, the fact that this is being reported this way on state TV is pretty telling. Things can’t be going well right now in Russia.  

The thing that I wonder is, on top of all the companies pulling out of Russia, what impacts Russia placing bans on popular apps/business (such as Instagram) will have on the population.

The Russian people must obviously notice when they pick up their phone and can no longer send, recieve or view content. Or that they cannot buy products from stores they are used to. When you really sit down and think about it, you realize how much of an impact just not having access can upend someone's life.

Propaganda can probably help ameliorate the effects, but I doubt it can wipe the effects away entirely.

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Two things:

1) I'm not certain if command vehicles are marked as such; but if so, easy targets for the Ukrainians (who can also hear Russian comm's and... get this, both read and translate/understand Russian...)

2) Is senior Russian military leadership at the front lines due to Putin's demand? Or because of current on-the-ground failures to-date? Or both? Regardless, it doesn't seem to be helping much...

Russia is not responding well to the hit and run tactics of the Yookies.  They sneak in and hit a vehicle and then bolt.  The russians can't radio in for tank or arty support in time.  Yookies will also jam the russian radios.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The thing that I wonder is, on top of all the companies pulling out of Russia, what impacts Russia placing bans on popular apps/business (such as Instagram) will have on the population.

The Russian people must obviously notice when they pick up their phone and no longer send, recieve or view content. Or that they cannot buy products from stores they are used to.

Propaganda can probably help ameliorate the effects, but I doubt it can wipe the effects away entirely.

For sure. While there is a certain segment that will believe the propaganda, I can see the younger generation especially seeing through this. Banning social media apps is a dead giveaway that something isn’t right. 

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Russia is not responding well to the hit and run tactics of the Yookies.  They sneak in and hit a vehicle and then bolt.  The russians can't radio in for tank or arty support in time.  Yookies will also jam the russian radios.  

I was talking about all the Generals or other senior commanders that the Ukrainians keep killing. How are they getting to them? Intelligence? Comm intercepts? Vehicle markings? Any of these 3 points to severe weaknesses on the Russian side in protecting their senior military leadership.

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The Russian people must obviously notice when they pick up their phone and can no longer send, recieve or view content. Or that they cannot buy products from stores they are used to. When you really sit down and think about it, you realize how much of an impact just not having access can upend someone's life.

propaganda works best when there is no competing narrative. Putin can control the media, but when the reality on the ground become contradictory to the propaganda,  public mood can shift to skepticism/rejection very fast.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I was talking about all the Generals or other senior commanders that the Ukrainians keep killing. How are they getting to them? Intelligence? Comm intercepts? Vehicle markings? Any of these 3 points to severe weaknesses on the Russian side in protecting their senior military leadership.

They are the invaded country.  They have sympathetic eyes and smart phones in almost all windows

13 minutes ago, romad1 said:

This point is worth coming back to - asymmetrical warfare was hard enough for the US to deal with when the opposition had Kalashnikovs and homemade IED's, but supplied the best of western technology and it's going to be (already is?) devastating/unbearable for the Russians.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

This point is worth coming back to - asymmetrical warfare was hard enough for the US to deal with when the opposition had Kalashnikovs and homemade IED's, but supplied the best of western technology and it's going to be (already is?) devastating/unbearable for the Russians.

The absolutely embarrassing battle drill of the Russian forces is a large part of their failure as well.  They gave the Ukrainian army breathing room by being shockingly inept. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

not confirmed

attack the bearers of bad news and for sure you will stop getting bad news. And the bonus is it's always good for your adversary to keep himself in the dark.

Just listened to Masha Gessen be depressing about Putin for an hour with Ezra Klein.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/11/opinion/ezra-klein-podcast-masha-gessen.html?searchResultPosition=2

Edited by gehringer_2

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

attack the bearers of bad news and for sure you will stop getting bad news. And the bonus is it's always good for your adversary to keep himself in the dark.

Just listened to Masha Gessen be depressing about Putin for an hour with Ezra Klein.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/11/opinion/ezra-klein-podcast-masha-gessen.html?searchResultPosition=2

those interviews are great 

This is all fun but I still have this feeling that there will be a major breakthrough by Russia. I’m not following it closely but could this be like D-Day where we are still in the “dying on the beach” scenario but eventually sheer numbers wins over?

3 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

For sure. While there is a certain segment that will believe the propaganda, I can see the younger generation especially seeing through this. Banning social media apps is a dead giveaway that something isn’t right. 

The age thing would seem to be big as it seems like convention wisdom that the younger generation does not watch their news as much as the older generations do

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

This is all fun but I still have this feeling that there will be a major breakthrough by Russia. I’m not following it closely but could this be like D-Day where we are still in the “dying on the beach” scenario but eventually sheer numbers wins over?

Morale matters a lot in war, and Ukraine is winning by a significant amount on that front. Both Russia and The West underestimated their desire to fight and die for their country while, on the flip side, it's not clear how many Russian soldiers knew of the objectives ahead of time or actually want to be in this conflict.

Until that changes, it seems hard to RUS to meet its objectives. I suspect that the carpet bombing and threats of chemical weapons are meant to try to cause cracks in morale. We will see

Edited by mtutiger

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

Depends. 

i think it’s much more like an Okinawa that isn’t an island and has two multi trillion dollar economies supporting its defenses.  

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Depends. 

i think it’s much more like an Okinawa that isn’t an island and has two multi trillion dollar economies supporting its defenses.  

And let's be honest: there are plenty of examples in history of a much larger military inserting itself into a conflict with a smaller country and not prevailing. Vietnam and Afghanistan (x2) are the ones that come to mind.

Russia definitely can still win the military conflict part of this war, but it wouldn't be unprecedented if they didn't.