The pet peeve thread

On 6/20/2024 at 6:21 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

What's it gonna take to end Boeing?         How many dangerous mistakes are going to be allowed?   How is this allowed to keep happening? 

The media has done a poor job explaining this.  These astronauts are not in any danger above what’s normal.  The reason for the delays is due to things they want to check out in the service module, which burns up in the atmosphere so this is their only chance to learn.   They could return right now if required. But that analysis and other ISS objectives has moved the optimal return window.  

Al Michaels allowing an A.I  version of his voice to do Olympic recaps.    WRONG MOVE AL.      If you can't cut it yourself anymore, just walk away, retire.    If you don't have that kind of energy let an up and comer do it.    Opening a door here that is going to cost a lot of people their jobs and I don't want to hear the whole  "this is going to happen anyway",  well maybe so, but the people who already had their careers and are riding off into the sunset shouldn't be the one stabbing the next generations in the back.      Losing all respect for Al over this.   This will start something terrible.    The Uncanny Valley.   It's like using Audrey Hepburn's computer re-generated likeness for a chocolate ad 20 years after her death.  Not only is it morally wrong, but it's creepy.   

• Like 1

The people who designed the construction on Southfield near 94 need to be found, lined up against the wall and shot.   

JUST CLOSE THE WHOLE ****ING FREEWAY !

Remember what they did on 96 about 15 years ago?   Closed it from Telegraph to Newburg............tore it out, rebuilt it from scratch, had the actual makeshift concrete plants ON SITE and got it done a month early and it's still in fantastic shape.    

What they are doing on Southfield is a crime.    It's so poorly planned and they won't even fix it right, they'll be back out there in 3 years. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

We’ve been doing a bit of traveling lately and I’m finding that obtaining a luggage cart is getting more and more challenging as folks have become too lazy to return them to their proper location.

I’m thinking hotels need to go the Aldi route or even something similar to what they do (or used to do at DTW). Install a machine that requires a deposit for the cart, you get your money back when it’s returned. No change, they have it at the check in desk for folks who at least stay in some of the longer term places need laundry quarters.

if you’re staying at a “boutique” hotel you should expect to pay a bit extra for the cart.

There was a time I moonlighted at the car/cab desk at Metro. Down time we would wander the parking decks looking for loose carts. The extra change for the deposit added up to a nice chunk of change.

On 7/2/2024 at 6:32 PM, LaceyLou said:

Generation wars. Boomers vs. Millenials. Millenials vs. Gen Z. Gen X vs. whoever. 

Sigh.

Is it Gen X versus anyone anymore? All we ever hear about are the boomers and millennials and Gen Z. I don't hear boo about Xers, in any way. Talk about a silent generation ... 😏

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is it Gen X versus anyone anymore? All we ever hear about are the boomers and millennials and Gen Z. I don't hear boo about Xers, in any way. Talk about a silent generation ... 😏

Evidently Gen X is being called out as the 'worst generation.' This of course is nothing new. 

Other times we get lumped in with Boomers, even though the first batch of Gen X was partly known for being born in a time when there weren't as many babies being born. Isn't that the exact opposite of what 'boomers' were named for?

3 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I serve with a bunch of older millennials and they have a lot to say about Gen Z. I think every generation does it. 

The older generations bitch about the younger generations because the older generations are old and cranky while the younger generations are young and stupid.

• Like 1

I saw a tweet that talked about how Gen X identifies so much with Boomers in one sense.  We were the latchkey generation, children of divorce, etc.  So we were home alone a lot.  We had 3-4 TV channels. Reruns were huge.  So we grew up watching the 50s and 60s on TV, at least how they represented it, but we also saw the modern 70s and 80s.  To us women and moms were both June Cleaver and Rhoda.  Later generations didn't have that cultural link to the one above them like we did.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I saw a tweet that talked about how Gen X identifies so much with Boomers in one sense.  We were the latchkey generation, children of divorce, etc.  So we were home alone a lot.  We had 3-4 TV channels. Reruns were huge.  So we grew up watching the 50s and 60s on TV, at least how they represented it, but we also saw the modern 70s and 80s.  To us women and moms were both June Cleaver and Rhoda.  Later generations didn't have that cultural link to the one above them like we did.

I think you guys were the last generation that got to actually make up their own fun.  Pickup sports games for example. Or even things like bike riding and skateboarding. Seems like everything after that had to be strictly organized.

But, what do I know. I'm a boomer

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oblong said:

I am definitionally a boomer, but I am X-adjacent. The youngest boomers born after 1960 have nothing to do culturally with the oldest boomers born in the 40s, in almost any sense.

They determined a long time ago that Baby Boomers were born 1946 through 1964, which makes sense if you look at birth rate, but culturally speaking, I think Gen X starts in 1961.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I am definitionally a boomer, but I am X-adjacent. The youngest boomers born after 1960 have nothing to do culturally with the oldest boomers born in the 40s, in almost any sense.

They determined a long time ago that Baby Boomers were born 1946 through 1964, which makes sense if you look at birth rate, but culturally speaking, I think Gen X starts in 1961.

There is also a big cultural break within the boomers somewhere around 52/53. Maybe driven by the difference between being at higher risk of the draft, and also being more at the cutting cultural edge. If you were born in say '51, your might have been able to be sheltered from Rock'n'Roll and the cultural shifts somewhat - esp if you had conservative parents. By a few years later the older generation had lost the rear-guard action to hold back youth culture primacy. In my experience that older end of the cohort also became more politically conservative than the rest.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

There is also a big cultural break within the boomers somewhere around 52/53. Maybe driven by the difference between being at higher risk of the draft, and also being more at the cutting cultural edge. If you were born in say '51, your might have been able to be sheltered from Rock'n'Roll and the cultural shifts somewhat - esp if you had conservative parents. By a few years later the older generation had lost the rear-guard action to hold back youth culture primacy. In my experience that older end of the cohort also became more politically conservative than the rest.

I can see there being a break, although I don't know if '51 is it. You would have been 12 or 13 when the Beatles came here, which was prime Beatlemania age, and in high school in the 1965 to 1970 range, and a lot of cultural changes happened during the period that high schoolers would have a hard time avoiding.

I would pin the break closer to '47 or '48. You might have liked Elvis OK, especially after Ed Sullivan convinced your folks that he was a fine conservative mama's boy, but you might have been a tad too old for the Beatles and the changes all that wrought.

• Like 1

Interesting. I wonder if having older siblings (in my case, the oldest is 17 years older than I am) has an impact on most people. I was definitely influenced by their taste in music-so I like a lot of stuff from the 60s and 70s. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, casimir said:

The older generations bitch about the younger generations because the older generations are old and cranky while the younger generations are young and stupid.

True, I definitely remember a lot of complaints about our "uncool" parents. Of course, now I remember them as doing a lot of decidedly cool things when they were younger, making US the ones that are dweebs. 😉

16 hours ago, LaceyLou said:

Interesting. I wonder if having older siblings (in my case, the oldest is 17 years older than I am) has an impact on most people. I was definitely influenced by their taste in music-so I like a lot of stuff from the 60s and 70s. 

I think this is probably right. My four-year-older brother heavily influenced 11-year-old me to discover Jethro Tull and Alice Cooper and Cream, none of which I would have discovered on my own.

I am of the impression that there are a lot of kids, meaning millennials and Gen Z, who like certain kinds of classic rock because their parents would play it. When I say “a lot” I don’t mean the majority, of course, but a certainly a far higher percentage of them like that than kids of my generation who liked big band swing music, which was basically zero. I would guess probably because classic rock sounds way closer in basic style to today’s pop music than swing ever did or could to 70s pop music.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1