The pet peeve thread

6 hours ago, LaceyLou said:

I'm in an awkward generation that grew up to address people formally; your boss would never be Bob or Jane but Mr. Smith or Mrs. Jones, for example. For younger people, 'you're welcome' or even 'my pleasure' sound too formal and stiff, so they go with 'no problem' or 'yup,' which sounds rude to many people. FWIW, I always liked that a former neighbor of mine would respond with 'of course.'

I agree that “you’re welcome” feels stiff, and I usually end up saying “of course” or “sure thing” or “sure”. I would never say “no problem” because when I myself hear it, it frequently feels freighted with underlying feelings that are unspoken, and I don’t think I have it fully figured out. Maybe it’s because it implies that it would normally be considered a problem. In any event it usually makes me feel a little uneasy. I would bet that most of the time people don’t mean anything by it, and that they’re just delivering it by rote, which would mean they’re not engaging.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I agree that “you’re welcome” feels stiff, and I usually end up saying “of course” or “sure thing” or “sure”. I would never say “no problem” because when I myself hear it, it frequently feels freighted with underlying feelings that are unspoken, and I don’t think I have it fully figured out. Maybe it’s because it implies that it would normally be considered a problem. In any event it usually makes me feel a little uneasy. I would bet that most of the time people don’t mean anything by it, and that they’re just delivering it by rote, which would mean they’re not engaging.

The common Aussie expression is "No worries", with or without "mate." That seems to be gaining some traction in the US.

30 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The common Aussie expression is "No worries", with or without "mate." That seems to be gaining some traction in the US.

That's interesting. I often hear (and picked it up myself) 'no worries' as a response to an apology to assure others that no harm was done.

PDFs with tables of text that are somehow created so that (when copying/pasting) you have to select by column instead of by row. so I want to copy a row of "A1 B1 C1 D1 E1", but it ends up being copied and pasted as "A1 A2 A3 ... B1 B2 B3 ... [etc]", just in a single column—row-based format disappears once pasted. doesn't matter if I'm pasting as plain text or into a spreadsheet or what. (and I'm dealing with a lot more than 5 columns per row here.) there should be a special place in hell for people who set their PDFs up like that (or design the software that creates them that way or whatever the hell the deal is with these files I'm trying to work with). **** **** ****

Edited by Crazy Cat Gentleman

I know someone who's boyfriend is on Disability for PTSD because he got into a car accident 10 years ago.  

He still drives.   He goes fishing up north every weekend. 

He can't work a desk job?   

It just annoys me so much.    Dude can work - he's just a scammer.      And he's very anti-government .   You know the same government who pays him for doing nothing. 

I work my butt off.  Now, mind you, I love what I do, so I don't mind, but I don't have the luxury of going fishing every weekend.       This dude buys a $2000 fishing shanty for ice fishing.     How does he get $2K for that?     How does Dexter afford a house and a seaside apartment in Miami?     

Just got another "I have to leave early today because we're going up North........"   Third Friday in a row.      Dude has PTSD.    Hey, I got mugged in 1991, think I can claim PTSD? 

On 9/25/2024 at 1:58 PM, LaceyLou said:

Staying home while recovering from surgery is boring. 

Hope you have a quick recovery time… take care of yourself!

you could always make crank calls. You know, call stores, and ask if they have Prince Albert in a can ….and if they do it to let him out… OK that’s a really old one. Lol.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Hope you have a quick recovery time… take care of yourself!

you could always make crank calls. You know, call stores, and ask if they have Prince Albert in a can ….and if they do it to let him out… OK that’s a really old one. Lol.

LOL. Caller ID has made it hard to have fun with crank calls. How are we supposed to order 20 pizzas for our teachers???

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2024 at 1:58 PM, LaceyLou said:

Staying home while recovering from surgery is boring. 

It suuuuuccccckkkkkkks

Everyone says  "Hey , you get to relax"     NO !  IT'S NOT RELAXING TO THAVE NOTHING TO DO - IT'S TERRIFYING !

I mean, you've seen every episode of M*A*S*H   and my god, how many Medicare commercials do they run on daytime TV.    It was 10 weeks after my achilles surgery...............I couldn't wait to get back to the office. 

• Like 1