Biden's presidency

ewsieg

On 7/30/2022 at 9:01 AM, ewsieg said:

Trump's idea for a wall across the entire border was stupid, but more wall needs to be built.  Barriers absolutely deter folks.  They aren't foolproof, but they help redirect to areas that agents can concentrate on.  The agents themselves were begging for more wall.  But in an all or nothing world, everyone had to tote the party line and ignore the facts.

This is NOT a true statement.

YOU are ignoring the fact that bi-partisan legislation (that would be both Republicans AND Democrats... case 'ya didn't know) was sent to Trump for $25 BILLION in wall-funding. And some kind of amnesty for Dreamers. Which Steven Miller hated and therefore told Trump to shoot it down...

which he did.

Like MB said: Coulter whined and Trump folded... on a BI-PARTISAN $25 BILLION bill... like a cheap house of cards.

EDIT: Stephen, not Steven. Steven would tell me to go Fly Like an Eagle...

Edited by 1984Echoes

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the irony is that it may well have been the US withdrawal that led Zawahri to let his guard down enough to be hit.

Lets not go nuts.   We made a strategic trade on our resources which sucked from a enduring commitment to the Afghan people we tried to support for so long but was becoming more and more unsustainable.  So we traded the the asymmetric drain that was the perpetual search for Islamic democrats for the peer competitor struggle with China and the near-peer competitor struggle with Russia which involves defending actual democracies like Japan/Taiwan/Korea and emerging democracies like Ukraine. 

I'll make that trade but it sucks to lose Afg after that long war.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

So what’s the RWM spin here? “Brandon lamely trying to distract us from his failed energy policy leading to record gas prices and double-digit inflation with the pointless killing of a played-out nobody”?

got gas for $3.95 today.

(well I cheated a little, had some Kroger points)

14 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Lets not go nuts.   We made a strategic trade on our resources which sucked from a enduring commitment to the Afghan people we tried to support for so long but was becoming more and more unsustainable.  So we traded the the asymmetric drain that was the perpetual search for Islamic democrats for the peer competitor struggle with China and the near-peer competitor struggle with Russia which involves defending actual democracies like Japan/Taiwan/Korea and emerging democracies like Ukraine. 

I'll make that trade but it sucks to lose Afg after that long war.

bottom line though, ungovernable country proves ungovernable. No doubt Afg is tragic. Plenty of doubt we were ever actually going to change that. If there is a fault, it's not enough exit visas provided. If you can't make the country good enough for the people, at least let as many of the good people out as you can.

Edited by gehringer_2

Gas ranges from $3.56 to $4.09 in Tennessee. (there was one really cheap place just outside Sieverville/ Pigeon Forge... usually it was in the 3.89-4.09-ish range...).

And $3.89 to $4.19 in West Virginia. And about the same I think in Virginia and Maryland... But I was starting to lose track around that time...

And about $4.45-ish in PA, and $4.35-ish in NJ.

I learned all that yesterday.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

bottom line though, ungovernable country proves ungovernable. No doubt Afg is tragic. Plenty of doubt we were ever actually going to change that.

There was no doubt whatsoever we were never going to change that.

Too much corruption.

Too much Taliban.

And too many poppy fields...

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

This is NOT a true statement.

YOU are ignoring the fact that bi-partisan legislation (that would be both Republicans AND Democrats... case 'ya didn't know) was sent to Trump for $25 BILLION in wall-funding. And some kind of amnesty for Dreamers. Which Steven Miller hated and therefore told Trump to shoot it down...

which he did.

I'm confused as to why what I said what not true.  I didn't ignore anything.  You added more context in which i'm not disagreeing with.  In regards to what I said, I still hold firm to that though.  More wall is needed, that's been the case all along, Biden has now confirmed that.  End of Story.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

bottom line though, ungovernable country proves ungovernable. No doubt Afg is tragic. Plenty of doubt we were ever actually going to change that. If there is a fault, it's not enough exit visas provided. If you can't make the country good enough for the people, at least let as many of the good people out as you can.

Not disagreeing that it was ungovernable.  They who wanted democracy and the rule of law were drowned out by the superstitious, evil and the idiotic.

I was trying to make the point that they made the right choice in the end despite all the emotional sunk costs.

Edited by romad1

10 hours ago, romad1 said:

Not disagreeing that it was ungovernable.  They who wanted democracy and the rule of law were drowned out by the superstitious, evil and the idiotic.

I was trying to make the point that they made the right choice in the end despite all the emotional sunk costs.

Folks here have no idea what risks Afghans took working with us. I have heard through my community that 4-5 translators and U.s. gov't support units have been killed. Usually this results in a bloodline cleanse, can't remember the word they used to describe but it's not just the person but their whole family, inlaws, cousins, aunts/uncles etc all dead.    

6 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Folks here have no idea what risks Afghans took working with us. I have heard through my community that 4-5 translators and U.s. gov't support units have been killed. Usually this results in a bloodline cleanse, can't remember the word they used to describe but it's not just the person but their whole family, inlaws, cousins, aunts/uncles etc all dead.    

You have to dig in where you have the geography to do so.  If you can't hold the ground everywhere.  You have to hold it where you can.  

50 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Agreed, we as the U.S. have blood on our hands. 

I just looked up to see what the comparison was between the number of Vietnamese we took with us when that ended and the number of Afghans. Wiki says we evac'ed 140K Vietnamese in '75. WSJ this Jan claimed we've resettled  76,000 from Afghanistan (USDOS site says funding was authorized for up to 95000) , which is more than I would have guessed. But still, given that Vietnam's population then was about the same as Afg's now, that's a lower % of the total population  and given that we were in Afg a lot longer it also argues we did less. And it's not like with that number we had covered ourselves in glory getting out of 'Nam.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 8/1/2022 at 11:45 PM, romad1 said:

True statement.