Biden's presidency

ewsieg

34 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Thank you Brandon. The inflation numbers and gas prices are still a net negative for Democrats and the Biden Administration overall from a political perspective. But as gas prices continue to fall and if we can get another improved inflation number in September and October, right before people go to the polls or are actually voting, that will put a crimp in the Republican strategy and messaging.

There lot of work needs to be done between now and where we need to be overall. Inflation and the debate around it should have been the perfect time for Biden to take a bolder, more progressive approach as a Warren or Sanders would. Even if Warren and Sanders lost in the primary, their solutions to the long-term economic challenges we are facing are still generally the ones that would work best for people over the long term and reign in the corporate, oligarchic power that has taken control of our lives. We need to start having the real conversations about things like nationalizing healthcare, the energy industry and airlines. We need to discuss breaking up big corporate conglomerates, ending corporate monopoly power in a host of industries from banking to finance to food supply to healthcare. We need real federal price controls and mandates to protect consumers from corporate and business price gouging at the gas station, grocery store, doctors office, pharmacy, and so on. We need stricter regulatory measures across almost every industry to reign in the power of corporations and big business, ensuring everyday people get put first. We'll continue to struggle and suffer, facing economic shock after economic shock, as long as we have half baked measures that nibble around the edges and still let the capitalist system run roughshod over consumers, workers, families, etc.

For now though, this is good news for Brandon and his merry band of socalistas right before the midterms.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Thank you Brandon. The inflation numbers and gas prices are still a net negative for Democrats and the Biden Administration overall from a political perspective. But as gas prices continue to fall and if we can get another improved inflation number in September and October, right before people go to the polls or are actually voting, that will put a crimp in the Republican strategy and messaging.

There lot of work needs to be done between now and where we need to be overall. Inflation and the debate around it should have been the perfect time for Biden to take a bolder, more progressive approach as a Warren or Sanders would. Even if Warren and Sanders lost in the primary, their solutions to the long-term economic challenges we are facing are still generally the ones that would work best for people over the long term and reign in the corporate, oligarchic power that has taken control of our lives. We need to start having the real conversations about things like nationalizing healthcare, the energy industry and airlines. We need to discuss breaking up big corporate conglomerates, ending corporate monopoly power in a host of industries from banking to finance to food supply to healthcare. We need real federal price controls and mandates to protect consumers from corporate and business price gouging at the gas station, grocery store, doctors office, pharmacy, and so on. We need stricter regulatory measures across almost every industry to reign in the power of corporations and big business, ensuring everyday people get put first. We'll continue to struggle and suffer, facing economic shock after economic shock, as long as we have half baked measures that nibble around the edges and still let the capitalist system run roughshod over consumers, workers, families, etc.

For now though, this is good news for Brandon and his merry band of socalistas right before the midterms.

Just rename a post office for Bernie Sanders. That's all he's good for. 

I don't really understand calling it the Inflation Reduction Act when it likely will have no impact on inflation either positively or negatively. I would have signed the bill since I don't think it will make inflation worse and the R & D investments on climate tech are better than the status quo, but it could have used a different name.

I think the most disappointing part of Biden's presidency has been a lack of progress on immigration. But, that also seems like an area he hasn't evolved enough on, so maybe it is to be expected. As one example, the CHIPS + science bill is probably one of the better standalone bipartisan bills passed by Congress in awhile, but it won't mean as much if the US doesn't start taking in a lot more high skilled immigrants; particularly those in STEM fields.

Edited by Scottwood

55 minutes ago, Scottwood said:

I think the most disappointing part of Biden's presidency has been a lack of progress on immigration

Since Biden took office the Senate parliamentarian has repeated ruled that the Dems could not include major immigration reform in a reconciliation bill, and there is zero chance of getting any democratically crafted bill on immigration (or very much else) through the Senate on regular order so it's dead in the water. And politically, if you can't do anything it's doesn't help to talk about it and highlight your impotence - thus no current talk and no action. If you want immigration reform move to a state where you can vote for a democratic senator in a swing race....:classic_biggrin:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/586240-senate-parliamentarian-rejects-democrats-third-immigration-offer/

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The politics of this move give me a lot of anxiety (given how it will likely be used as a class warfare wedge), but I am amused that some of the loudest hollers on SM happen to be people who took PPP Loans lol

agreed.  I think politically it's a wash probably.  But I also think it aligns with them doing something that they think is right for the most part regardless of the politics.  If they wanted it to be political they would have had different thresholds I think.  

17 minutes ago, oblong said:

agreed.  I think politically it's a wash probably.  But I also think it aligns with them doing something that they think is right for the most part regardless of the politics.  If they wanted it to be political they would have had different thresholds I think.  

The debt forgiveness parts are admittedly tricky, but a lot of the additional proposals related to amounts owed relative to income and on interest seem like good things to me.

It would be nice if this were coupled with a discussion or legislation dealing with the actual cost of college though.