Biden's presidency

ewsieg

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The debt forgiveness parts are admittedly tricky, but a lot of the additional proposals related to amounts owed relative to income and on interest seem like good things to me.

It would be nice if this were coupled with a discussion or legislation dealing with the actual cost of college though. 

Good luck gett Bernie Sanders or the squad to actually legislate something. All they do rile up their base to demand Biden cancel all debt.

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

More like they put out the grease fire in the kitchen. The kitchen is damaged but the whole house didn't burn down. They'll now need to repair the kitchen. 

If there's one criticism, it is that it largely doesn't fix the root cause going forward.

That said, for all the teeth gnashing from the Rs, I don't really take them seriously in terms of wanting to fix the problem tbh, given their hatred/demonization of higher ed.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

If there's one criticism, it is that it largely doesn't fix the root cause going forward.

That said, for all the teeth gnashing from the Rs, I don't really take them seriously in terms of wanting to fix the problem tbh, given their hatred/demonization of higher ed.

Thta’s because as far as Republican politicians are concerned the higher the ed, the fewer the votes. It’s gotta be why they keep trying to talk people into going to trade school instead of college.

(Actually, you can do both by going to Ferris State.)

I understand some resentment but I also can’t fully square up the idea that we shouldn’t help people today because we didn’t help their predecessors 20-30-40 years ago. 

I sense some “welfare queen” going on where they have created an extreme example as representative of those benefitting.  There’s always an anecdote to make a program look wasteful.  

The wife is really mad about the student loan thing.  But, obv...she's madder about Roe/Dobbs.

I'd say my attitude toward the loan thing is much more mellow.  I'm going to be paying all the kid's college with the money I spent 20 plus years saving for it.  I also spent nearly 25 years paying off my own student loans.  I'm just a mule for the system. 

31 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The wife is really mad about the student loan thing.  But, obv...she's madder about Roe/Dobbs.

I'd say my attitude toward the loan thing is much more mellow.  I'm going to be paying all the kid's college with the money I spent 20 plus years saving for it.  I also spent nearly 25 years paying off my own student loans.  I'm just a mule for the system. 

A bit in the same boat. We used stock options from the company my wife worked for to pay a good chunk of our son's tuition. Honestly, I'm not sure whether we would be financially today if we held on to the money. The stocks started to tank when the 2001 bubble broke and never did approach what they were worth prior to 2001. A little extra money would be nice but we'd probably blow it on something stupid like an RV

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

A bit in the same boat. We used stock options from the company my wife worked for to pay a good chunk of our son's tuition. Honestly, I'm not sure whether we would be financially today if we held on to the money. The stocks started to tank when the 2001 bubble broke and never did approach what they were worth prior to 2001. A little extra money would be nice but we'd probably blow it on something stupid like an RV

At the end of the road perhaps i’ll use a student loan to buy a boat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Mittens, who's a son of a governor and auto executive who went to Cranbrook and was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, has some thoughts.

And Mittens, who used religion to get out of the draft, harassed people who didn't serve in Vietnam and protested the Vietnam War, the one our government knew we couldn't win as early as 1965.    

11 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I know three people who did the RV thing an all of them sold after a year. 

52 minutes ago, oblong said:

I understand some resentment but I also can’t fully square up the idea that we shouldn’t help people today because we didn’t help their predecessors 20-30-40 years ago. 

Yeah... its not a slam dunk to do this tbh, but a big reason why we are here is a failure of public policy. And I'm old enough to remember the Chuck Grassleys of the world clapping like seals when the last administration ignited a public policy failure (ie. trade war) and responded by cutting government checks to farmers to fix the mess.

So, while I think there is a fair debate to be had on whether the policy is right or not, so many of those who oppose this are flaming hypocrites and will take any and all government money that heads their way in other instances. And I just don't have much patience for it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yeah... its not a slam dunk to do this tbh, but a big reason why we are here is a failure of public policy. And I'm old enough to remember the Chuck Grassleys of the world clapping like seals when the last administration ignited a public policy failure (ie. trade war) and responded by cutting government checks to farmers to fix the mess.

So, while I think there is a fair debate to be had on whether the policy is right or not, so many of those who oppose this are flaming hypocrites and will take any and all government money that heads their way in other instances. And I just don't have much patience for it.

And we borrowed money from China to pay the debt of the trade war with China.  Geniuses. 

But a lot aren’t.  It’s because they became teachers or social workers or some other important job that society decided should be low paying.  Every program is going to have people on the margins who either abused the system or are otherwise not the ideal representatives.