Biden's presidency

ewsieg

19 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Not an expert by any means, but my understanding is that funding levels in the public university space, set by state governments, are a factor as well - states have, over time, generally reduced funding, which then gets passed onto the consumer (ie. kids and their parents).

Is this fair to say?

Very fair. When I started as a student at UM, the state made up something like 50% of the University's non-hospital budget. Today it is about 15%. Now that does sound pretty horrible, and it is, but you have to remember that huge research edifice didn't use to be there when state support was 50%, so it's not wholly an apples to apples comparison either.

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I was starting to look into this a little, wondering whether an increase in students receiving grants and scholarships might somewhat offset dramatic increases in tuition. But this web page says that only 7% of students do so, so obviously not.

I do notice on this page, however, that public grants and scholarships going to students at private colleges is substantially greater than those going to students at public colleges, and furthermore, the average grant/scholarship amount drop precipitously with family income at public schools, but not by nearly as much at private schools:

Scholarship Aid by Public and Private Schools on Education Data Initiative

This perplexes me. Can anyone with knowledge of this process help me understand why this is?

I guess it depends on what the terminology means - (what exactly does that 'and' connect?) Do scholarships in this definition include a college's own scholarship fund or only government supplied scholarships? Huge difference depending. I'm sure private schools provide incentive scholarship money to some students,  to 'legacies' for instance, that may not strictly need it. It may also be a bit of a misleading chart in terms that absolute number of dollars in each category is not given. That large red bar on the right may or may be any substantial number of dollars.

The system at public schools is based on the infamous 'FAFSA', which I think everyone uses, 2o on the public side there is some level of uniformity for aid criteria. I think many private schools also require families to submit 'FAFSA' but how they use it may be more variable.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I guess it depends on what the terminology means - (what exactly does that 'and' connect?) Do scholarships in this definition include a college's own scholarship fund or only government supplied scholarships? Huge difference depending. I'm sure private schools provide incentive scholarship money to some students,  to 'legacies' for instance, that may not strictly need it. It may also be a bit of a misleading chart in terms that absolute number of dollars in each category is not given. That large red bar on the right may or may be any substantial number of dollars.

I thought it was government-supplied scholarships since private scholarships have a separate section, plus the data is pretty exact regarding disbursement by income levels.

The point that there are differences between the PPP and this latest action is completely fair and shouldn't be ignored. I know PPP wasn't a true loan program and was more designed as a grant. And overall, the PPP was necessary, even if there was fraud.

Having said that, we also need to acknowledge that many of the politicians who are decrying this action as being a "handout" did, in fact, take handouts of their own with PPP and do when they take farm subsidies checks as well. And countless other programs. And while PPP did help a lot of businesses who needed it, let's not pretend that everyone who participated needed it either. 

How is it not hypocritical for them to protest this particular action? 

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

The point that there are differences between the PPP and this latest action is completely fair and shouldn't be ignored. I know PPP wasn't a true loan program and was more designed as a grant. And overall, the PPP was necessary, even if there was fraud.

Having said that, we also need to acknowledge that many of the politicians who are decrying this action as being a "handout" did, in fact, take handouts of their own with PPP and do when they take farm subsidies checks as well. And countless other programs. And while PPP did help a lot of businesses who needed it, let's not pretend that everyone who participated needed it either. 

How is it not hypocritical for them to protest this particular action? 

Totally. An analogy doesn’t have to be perfect to be valid. They accepted government money or help. 

also amused by some who think that blue collar workers don’t rack up student debt.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I imagine some bought and paid by big Pharma would say so

In regards to Oblong's question, you're right, they would say so.  But if instead of the government doing anything about the price, they just said they would pay it on behalf of the users for a year, Big Pharma would absolutely love that.  In fact, why just do it once, if the people like it, keep doing it.....even better.

16 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I didn't watch, but the optics of that primetime speech don't look good to me at all.

With Biden the general problem is that he's an old man trying to give a younger man's speeches. They need to get him to adopt a speaking style more fitting to his physical limitations. Slow it down, calm it down, keep the rhetorical peaks to fewer, which will make them more dramatic anyway. Reagan and Clinton showed you don't need to put out a lot of verbal tension energy to give an effective political speech.

And the backdrop didn't need to look like Christmas in September.....:classic_dry:

Edited by gehringer_2