Biden's presidency

ewsieg

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The bill provides tax credits for purchasing EV's, for transitioning from fossil fuels to renewable energy, to manufacturing solar panels and charging stations in the US. Manchin receives more from coal and oil industry than any other industry. His family owns a coal company in which Manchin receives large dividends but I'm sure Manchin is the great patriot looking out for his state. I'm sure he put this much scrutiny in the defense spending bill. Coal is a dying industry. West Virginia should embrace manufacturing clean energy than clinging to the past. 

All of this above is why when people say "Manchin has been negotiating in good faith and clear about what he wants all along" I call BS. Manchin has added things in the 11th hour, like inflation concerns, to what he has been negotiating for. Additionally, he claims that he has concerns about the deficit, all the while voting in favor of a deficit expanding $745 billion defense budget.

What I believe to be the real issue though, above all else, is what you said about Manchin's family and their financial interests in coal companies. Manchin is no less a grifter than Trump or his daughter Ivanka who caught getting applying for trademarks from the Chinese government for her clothing and shoe line while serving as a White House Aide to her father. Manchin's grift is to protect his, his son's and his families overall financial interests in the coal energy. It's a clear conflict of interest that he has with the climate and clean energy provisions in BBB and he's letting his financial itnerests take precedent over the good of the country. That to me is not negotiating in good faith and I think all of his other alleged objections are hypocritical and really just a bunch of bupkis. 

There are 100 Senators in Washington. Every single one is probably invested in this or that and has connections here and there. I don’t like it anymore than anyone else. 
Whatever Manchin’s motive is for objecting to the “as is” BBB, I am aligned with his perspective. There is so much wrong with this bill. 

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

There are 100 Senators in Washington. Every single one is probably invested in this or that and has connections here and there. I don’t like it anymore than anyone else. 
Whatever Manchin’s motive is for objecting to the “as is” BBB, I am aligned with his perspective. There is so much wrong with this bill. 

Will you be aligned with his perspective when he eventually supports a BBB bill?

The situation with Manchin is really similar to Bart Stupak during the Obamacare... conservatives loved him when his concerns on public funding for abortion put the bill in peril, only to harass him and make death threats after eventually supporting the bill once his concerns were allayed.

Similarly, conservatives like Manchin now, but will drop him like a hot rock when they eventually coalesce around a bill they can all agree on.

Edited by mtutiger

HuffPost-

Continuing the child tax credit for another year is a core part of the Build Back Better legislation that Democrats had hoped to pass by the end of the year. The policy has already cut child poverty by nearly 30%. 

Manchin’s private comments shocked several senators, who saw it as an unfair assault on his own constituents and those struggling to raise children in poverty.

Manchin has also told colleagues he believes that Americans would fraudulently use the proposed paid sick leave policy, specifically saying people would feign being sick and go on hunting trips, a source familiar with his comments told HuffPost.

End of Quote. Source: HUFFPOST

I would ask where the evidence is that provides documented proof that the child tax credit has reduced child poverty by 30%. Is that too much to ask?
Secondly, there is not the first quotation for any of the alleged comments attributed to Manchin regarding the misuse of child tax credit money. It’s the old he said/she said which requires zero proof. I noticed CNN and others are attacking his position on this also, no surprise. The above piece from HuffPost is nothing but a hit piece, plain and simple. 

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

HuffPost-

Continuing the child tax credit for another year is a core part of the Build Back Better legislation that Democrats had hoped to pass by the end of the year. The policy has already cut child poverty by nearly 30%. 

Manchin’s private comments shocked several senators, who saw it as an unfair assault on his own constituents and those struggling to raise children in poverty.

Manchin has also told colleagues he believes that Americans would fraudulently use the proposed paid sick leave policy, specifically saying people would feign being sick and go on hunting trips, a source familiar with his comments told HuffPost.

End of Quote. Source: HUFFPOST

I would ask where the evidence is that provides documented proof that the child tax credit has reduced child poverty by 30%. Is that too much to ask?
Secondly, there is not the first quotation for any of the alleged comments attributed to Manchin regarding the misuse of child tax credit money. It’s the old he said/she said which requires zero proof. I noticed CNN and others are attacking his position on this also, no surprise. The above piece from HuffPost is nothing but a hit piece, plain and simple. 

Here are some studies for you that shows the child tax credit encourages parents to work and boosted children out of poverty:

The child tax credit encourages parents to work, study finds (cnbc.com)

Child tax credit lifted 3 million kids from poverty in July (cnbc.com)

The new child tax credit does more than just cut poverty (brookings.edu)

An Expanded Child Tax Credit Would Reduce Poverty To Below 10 Percent In Nearly All States (forbes.com)

If Congress Fails to Act, Monthly Child Tax Credit Payments Will Stop, Child Poverty Reductions Will Be Lost | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (cbpp.org)

Now where are the studies that show parents would spend the money on drugs and go hunting? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Will you be aligned with his perspective when he eventually supports a BBB bill?

The situation with Manchin is really similar to Bart Stupak during the Obamacare... conservatives loved him when his concerns on public funding for abortion put the bill in peril, only to harass him and make death threats after eventually supporting the bill once his concerns were allayed.

Similarly, conservatives like Manchin now, but will drop him like a hot rock when they eventually coalesce around a bill they can all agree on.

You Nailed it.    Obamacare needed the cornhusker kickback.... we need the coalminer kickback

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

“Will you be aligned with his perspective when he eventually supports a BBB bill?”

As stated twice prior, I am opposed to the BBB. That won’t change. 

By all accounts, Manchin seems to still be open to a bill, just not as constructed by the House.

So if you are opposed to any BBB bill in any form, that would mean that you are not aligned with his perspective.

Edited by mtutiger

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

So if you are opposed to any BBB bill in any form, that would mean that you are not aligned with his perspective.

If he changes his current position, you are correct. Simple.

I am opposed to spending trillions of dollars right now for several reasons. One, it is not necessary to begin with. The economy is bouncing back and there aren’t enough workers to fill the jobs that are open now! Employers are offering bonuses and raises in many cases to existing workers and new hires. We are headlong into an inflation issue that doesn’t need more gas on the fire. Not sure why people don’t understand the inflation part of this equation. Even if the supply chains and the like are resolved, pouring money into the economy right now is absolutely going to put pressure on the inflation side of things. This will make mortgage rates move up, hurting the lower earners that  buy anything on credit, not the least of which might be a mortgage. It will be the folks with the least means that will suffer most with higher rates.
And a big thumbs down to a Federal Reserve that is behind the curve on this and doesn’t seem to be overly concerned. This bill is no more than a political power play that, as of now, doesn’t have the power to go through. I would love to see it fail, straight up. We are not in a crisis. It is ill advised. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

i would spend the money on drugs.  not hunting though, that's dumb.

22 minutes ago, 1776 said:

If he changes his current position, you are correct. Simple.

If you take him at face value, he wants to vote YES. Reports are that he even promoted an alternative bill (PreK for 10 Yrs, ACA Extension + climate) when he last met with the President.

If you don't agree with him there, I'd argue you probably don't hold the same position he does.

7 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

All of this above is why when people say "Manchin has been negotiating in good faith and clear about what he wants all along" I call BS. Manchin has added things in the 11th hour, like inflation concerns, to what he has been negotiating for. Additionally, he claims that he has concerns about the deficit, all the while voting in favor of a deficit expanding $745 billion defense budget.

What I believe to be the real issue though, above all else, is what you said about Manchin's family and their financial interests in coal companies. Manchin is no less a grifter than Trump or his daughter Ivanka who caught getting applying for trademarks from the Chinese government for her clothing and shoe line while serving as a White House Aide to her father. Manchin's grift is to protect his, his son's and his families overall financial interests in the coal energy. It's a clear conflict of interest that he has with the climate and clean energy provisions in BBB and he's letting his financial itnerests take precedent over the good of the country. That to me is not negotiating in good faith and I think all of his other alleged objections are hypocritical and really just a bunch of bupkis. 

Ding ding ding ding ding....

4 hours ago, pfife said:

One thing I love about this account is when they reset memory-holed things that were such a huge deal to the media but to no one else.   

The Harpers Letter....

So good.

There are a lot of examples of media navel gazing, but the Harper's Letter may be the best example. 

Normal people don't have time for that ****