Biden's presidency

ewsieg

18 minutes ago, pfife said:

I did see that Sinema may not be onboard now.   The fun never ends.

Just sickening that 1-2 fucking people can hold the entire country hostage. I will be donating money the next time Sinema is up for election to whoever her primary opponent is. Hopefully it's someone decent like Ruben Gallego.

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Very interesting to see the $50B semiconductor bill.  Been on vacation and not watching news as closely.   

Huge win.  Hope we have time before the invasion of Taiwan causes a huge calamity. 

It is great news. The chip shortage has been a major problem in the Auto Industry for the past 3-4 years I certainley wish they could have gotten in front of it sooner.

It was stupid of the Biden Administration to pick a fight on this.  Especially when it spent so long arguing that Inflation was going to be short lived.  

Another definition:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/26/heres-how-to-know-if-were-in-a-recession-and-its-not-what-you-think.html#:~:text=Officially%2C the NBER defines recession,activity%2C as a primary barometer.

Officially, the NBER defines recession as “a significant decline in economic activity that is spread across the economy and lasts more than a few months.”

By this one as well, we're in a recession.  Absolutely the least impacting recession of my lifetime, but a recession nonetheless.  Guess we'll see how the next year or two plays out.  

You guys have short memories.  Remember when all we heard about from democrats and some peeps here about how the "Trump" wall was a waste of money, its racist and it doesn't work?  I guess not. 

Years ago Biden, Schumer and a lot of other dems said we need a wall built.  When Trump does it they are against it. This is a big part of the problem in politics today and its hurting our country.  When one side does something good the other side will condemn it just because the idea came from the other side.  Now that Biden is constructing some of the wall its OK. I'm glad they are doing it and should put up as much as possible.  There are a lot of security issues on the southern border and it needs to be secured. 

21 minutes ago, Archie said:

Years ago Biden, Schumer and a lot of other dems said we need a wall built.  When Trump does it they are against it.

mostly because it was throw back tech. Border control had been moving toward surveillance based detection in place of harder barriers because it's more cost effective. The barriers don't stop people for long, it's agents that stop people, and to stop them you have to find them so you need agents and vision, and such an expensive yet still permeable barrier just diverts dollars better spent on the vision and apprehension side. That's why people closer to the problem though it was a bad idea.

Edited by gehringer_2

32 minutes ago, Archie said:

You guys have short memories.  Remember when all we heard about from democrats and some peeps here about how the "Trump" wall was a waste of money, its racist and it doesn't work?  I guess not.

Trump's wall is a waste of money, and it won't work. I won't bother explaining it any further, since you don't do nuance, anyway.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

mostly because it was throw back tech. Border control had been moving toward surveillance based detection in place of harder barriers because it's more cost effective. The barriers don't stop people for long, it's agents that stop people, and to stop them you have to find them so you need agents and vision, and such an expensive yet still permeable barrier just diverts dollars better spent on the vision and apprehension side. That's why people closer to the problem though it was a bad idea.

Trump's idea for a wall across the entire border was stupid, but more wall needs to be built.  Barriers absolutely deter folks.  They aren't foolproof, but they help redirect to areas that agents can concentrate on.  The agents themselves were begging for more wall.  But in an all or nothing world, everyone had to tote the party line and ignore the facts.

This likely was Biden's greatest week of his presidency despite his own administration bungling recession talk.

- CHIPS bill - Very popular bill gets passed, long term great play for our own national security.

- Inflation Reduction Act - I'd be interested in the back story on this and how much Biden and Schumer had a role in this.  Manchin seemed to 'get it' in terms of money being thrown into the economy and he took the brunt of the left's disdain, but regardless, if passed, Biden will get the credit.  So far everything i'm seeing with this bill is exactly what the majority of folks ask for, not a bunch of junk, just x, y, and z.  

- This Biden oil plan, initially I figured it was along the lines of what we've seen in the past with just selling some strategic reserves.  Since then i've heard and read a few things.  In short, i'm not sure how this will stimulate additional production, but at least he's trying something.  It definitely won't hurt.

- Jon Stewart takes his legitimate complaints on the burn bill to the right, even Newsmax.  That bill will be passed next week due to pressure, guarantee it.  You could argue the Inflation Reduction Act forced an error by the republicans on this one.  The Cruz fist bump will be part of every ad attack campaign for every election he's ever in again.