Biden's presidency

ewsieg

24 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

This Biden oil plan

This is just there to get Manchin buy-on on the rest of the energy plan, and to be honest, I will say there is a good chance any out year expenditures on oil programs disappear should the Dems win a bigger majority.

...just sayin'

31 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

This likely was Biden's greatest week of his presidency despite his own administration bungling recession talk.

- CHIPS bill - Very popular bill gets passed, long term great play for our own national security.

- Inflation Reduction Act - I'd be interested in the back story on this and how much Biden and Schumer had a role in this.  Manchin seemed to 'get it' in terms of money being thrown into the economy and he took the brunt of the left's disdain, but regardless, if passed, Biden will get the credit.  So far everything i'm seeing with this bill is exactly what the majority of folks ask for, not a bunch of junk, just x, y, and z.  

- This Biden oil plan, initially I figured it was along the lines of what we've seen in the past with just selling some strategic reserves.  Since then i've heard and read a few things.  In short, i'm not sure how this will stimulate additional production, but at least he's trying something.  It definitely won't hurt.

- Jon Stewart takes his legitimate complaints on the burn bill to the right, even Newsmax.  That bill will be passed next week due to pressure, guarantee it.  You could argue the Inflation Reduction Act forced an error by the republicans on this one.  The Cruz fist bump will be part of every ad attack campaign for every election he's ever in again.

I agree.  I accused him of not doing anything and he’s stepped up and accomplished some nice things.   

If you can give me a definitive explanation on when a recession begins then maybe I’d criticize their response but the reality is that lots of smart people have very different answers to the question.    

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

If you can give me a definitive explanation on when a recession begins then maybe I’d criticize their response but the reality is that lots of smart people have very different answers to the question.    

My argument with Biden and his administration in regards to 'defining a recession' has more to do with the politics involved in it.  With more education/training, a more nuanced definition to anything is found.  In basic terms, two quarters of negative gdp has always been the standard.  I gave another definition I found earlier in this thread and we're in a recession based on that too.   I'm in a decent position where I have a decent job and my wife works too.  Still, our plan this year was to get a new car and when my car had some major issues, I ended up choosing to fix it.  Many families are just worried about that growing grocery and gas bill.

Right now the dems are pointing to low unemployment as proof as no recession, where under Trump low unemployment, with no inflation and a booming stock market apparently wasn't even proof of a good economy, but rather one only good for the upper class.   The economy is not in the dumps, but up until this week, the only plan was to let the Fed push us into a recession to slow inflation.  Not a great plan.  This week proved Biden is willing to make attempts to address it.  The president can only do so much, glad to see him trying now though.

23 minutes ago, pfife said:

I would like to believe the republicans will be pressured to pass the PACT bill but it would be the first time I've seen them be shamed into doing the right thing in a very very very very long time so I'm not holding my breath.

Stewart is playing this the right way and not just sitting on left wing media that would agree with him anyway.  You may very well be right though.

36 minutes ago, pfife said:

Cornin admits it didn't pass for reasons other than what's in the bill.  

Senators really are petulant children.   I truly hate all of these fuckers.

Taking legislation that helps our vets hostage because of Washington political inside baseball

There truly is no bottom with these clowns.