Biden's presidency

ewsieg

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

One thing is for sure: Biden is all in now. 

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Well, to me its 50/50 that we survive Trump and his MAGA scum. If we go down, Biden's going down fighting. Good for him.

On the one hand you can argue the conventional wisdom that you aren't going to win any votes calling voters bad names - but OTOH, there are going to be some people for whom being labeled 'proto-facists' by the President of the United States, may bring them up short enough to maybe give a second thought to what they doing - people for whom the office still demands a certain attention even if they are basically in political opposition. Or maybe not. But I think the idea that there is some kind of honey that is sweet enough to move the hardcore is probably a pipe dream, so all you can hope for is strategies that work at the margins.

In the Washington post today  - Micheal Gerson, onetime Bush operative and 'old school' conservative Christian, wrote an fairly incredible piece (in terms of being far longer and deeper than any typical opinion piece) which was in part political analysis, in part religious history lesson, but much more an impassioned religious sermon imploring - in fact challenging - anyone who calls themselves Christian to re-examine how anything they claim as 'Christian' faith can be squared with today's Trump Republican party. Can't say I have ever seen anything quite like that in my years of watching US politics and media. (It hit a nerve somewhere, I've never seen a Post column pull >6500 comments in less than 24hrs!)

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

On the one hand you can argue the conventional wisdom that you aren't going to win any votes calling voters bad names - but OTOH, there are going to be some people for whom being labeled 'proto-facists' by the President of the United States, may bring them up short enough to maybe give a second thought to what they doing - people for whom the office still demands a certain attention even if they are basically in political opposition. Or maybe not. But I think the idea that there is some kind of honey that is sweet enough to move the hardcore is probably a pipe dream, so all you can hope for is strategies that work at the margins.

What I think is being lost here in some of the interpretations of this speech is that the hardcore MAGA crowd (which, btw, isn't half the country when you look at the surveys, more like 30-35%) isn't really the intended audience. It's intended for the other 65-70% who, despite maybe having policy differences (perhaps even massive ones) don't like the politics that the MAGA crowd advances and wants to move on from it. This is a big reason why it isn't "Deplorables" imo... Biden did go to great lengths to distinguish who exactly he was talking to and how it didn't include mainstream Rs.

My biggest problem with it was that he transitioned some into stumping in the second half and talking about political accomplishments. Would have preferred he left that out to focus on the broader topic.

• Like 1

Somehow a fellow Purdue fan thinks I'm still on his team and was blowing up my phone to vent about Biden instead of the football game last night and sent me some pic of Biden last night with swastikas all over.

Pretty much calling him a fascist. 

Quick J6 nazi Google search couldn't find any, but I thought there were. I was going to present a counter.

12 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Somehow a fellow Purdue fan thinks I'm still on his team and was blowing up my phone to vent about Biden instead of the football game last night and sent me some pic of Biden last night with swastikas all over.

Pretty unsurprising reaction.

But again, the party is nominating and running many candidates that are, at best, unclear as to whether they would respect the popular outcome of elections. Michigan, PA, Arizona all have slates of these candidates. I have little problem with calling that out at all.

What I took from last night is that it's time to stop walking on eggshells about it and just be honest that this is what is happening. The cries of politics are inevitable, but even then, how do you avoid politics when anti-democratic ideology overtakes much of one of the two parties? It's inherently political at this point, for better or worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Quick J6 nazi Google search couldn't find any, but I thought there were. I was going to present a counter.

MTG tweeted out one that fits your description.    Biden had a Hitler stache in the photo as well.

That is how she uses her official congressperson account.

Don't forget the j6 dude wearing camp auschwitz shirt.

Edited by pfife

MAGA people are gone and lost in the Trump vortex of lies, conspiracies, and hatred of their fellow Americans. There are recent articles that they can be moved off Trump, but from personal experience, I can say it is exhausting to move them an inch away from Dear Leader.

To me there are some "reachable" groups for Joe

• 1. Progressives. Yeah, I'm not giving you what you want to the DEGREE you want, but please vote for us over the people who will not just give you zero, but take away more.
  • 2. Normal Dems. You gotta vote. Gotta turn out. Need to vote.
  • 3. Disgusted/exhausted GOPers. Do the right thing, vote for us.
  • 4. Disgusted/exhausted independents. Do the right thing, vote for us.
  • 5. "Both sides are the same" idiots who vote. They are not the same, and even if you cannot see it for some reason, I am giving you the reason to vote for us.

Not including non-voters. Huge number of people never vote. Sleepy Joe is never going to motivate them, and I doubt that even Dark Brandon can motivate them.

(Now I see this was stated earlier and better)

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

What I think is being lost here in some of the interpretations of this speech is that the hardcore MAGA crowd (which, btw, isn't half the country when you look at the surveys, more like 30-35%) isn't really the intended audience. It's intended for the other 65-70% who, despite maybe having policy differences (perhaps even massive ones) don't like the politics that the MAGA crowd advances and wants to move on from it. This is a big reason why it isn't "Deplorables" imo... Biden did go to great lengths to distinguish who exactly he was talking to and how it didn't include mainstream Rs.

My biggest problem with it was that he transitioned some into stumping in the second half and talking about political accomplishments. Would have preferred he left that out to focus on the broader topic.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pfife said:

MTG tweeted out one that fits your description.    Biden had a Hitler stache in the photo as well.

That is how she uses her official congressperson account.

Don't forget the j6 dude wearing camp auschwitz shirt.

Don't forget Andrew Torba saying Jews have no place in the conservative movement and Doug Mastriano still accepting his money and support.

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I was busy last night and didn't get to see the speech. This morning all I see is right wing pictures of this. Where was the speech at? I mean alot of my brothers in the military are seeing this as the start of something big, like the shoe has dropped. Dangerous times ahead.....

FbnqAJUWAAAuk_A.jpg

I think we all knew that once Joe crossed this Rubicon, it was going to be an inflection point for the red hats: either they see it as a call to arms and coordinate attacks, or they just lip off like they're going to and then get their bluff called.

Personally, I think the truth is in the middle: I doubt we will see full-scale militia attacks on gatherings in cities, college campuses, music festivals, tech companies, etc., in which they slaughter hundreds or thousands of people at a time. But I bet we do see a rise in lone wolf attacks in which dozens are murdered in an attempt to defend Trump's besmirched honor. We may even see two- or three-person coordinated attacks.

Point is, if the choice is ignore Trump and let him do whatever he wants in the hopes he merely gets thwarted at the ballot box in a free and fair election at the risk that they just steal elections and destroy democracy completely in a bid for one-party control, which that might happen; or mobilize an effort to both discredit him and hold him accountable for his crimes at the risk of murderous uprisings that might not happen after all, I think we have to choose the latter and hope for the best. Preserving democracy is worth that risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I was busy last night and didn't get to see the speech. This morning all I see is right wing pictures of this. Where was the speech at? I mean alot of my brothers in the military are seeing this as the start of something big, like the shoe has dropped. Dangerous times ahead.....

Anyone that is clutching their pearls about that speech last night needs to take a hard look in the mirror. He was clearly talking only about the hard core MAGA crowd. If someone feels threatened by that, then they can go f@&k themselves (to borrow a phrase from the Red Hats).

6 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Anyone that is clutching their pearls about that speech last night needs to take a hard look in the mirror. He was clearly talking only about the hard core MAGA crowd. If someone feels threatened by that, then they can go f@&k themselves (to borrow a phrase from the Red Hats).

Fuck yeah!  Preach it, brother.  Fuck those people with different opinions.