2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

Why would anyone be upset by Reyes getting axed?

Career offensive WAR after five seasons .7 WAR

Career defensive WAR after five seasons -.6 WAR

2022 salary $1,400,000

What we are discussing here is an overpaid  AAA player being sold to the fan base as a bona fide major league player. Kudos to Scott Harris for doing what should have been done 2 years ago.

21 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

The Victor Reyes saga is exactly what has been one of the major problems with the Tigers. AA held on  to subpar players and sold them as legit. My sincere hope is that the oversupply of these not even league average players are cleaned out immediately.

I think you get your wish—I believe players need to be added to the 40 man today, which might impact the Castro Bros and others.  Will be interested in what they do with Tyler Alexander—he must be on the bubble.

30 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think you get your wish—I believe players need to be added to the 40 man today, which might impact the Castro Bros and others.  Will be interested in what they do with Tyler Alexander—he must be on the bubble.

I was just coming in to post that today should be a wild day.

Tyler and Harold will be gone; Willi stays.

I think arbitration has to be offered on the 18th(?) so if Harris plans on not offering to some players wouldn't they just be dropped today ? Is there a reason for keeping a player under contract today and taking a spot to then drop them 3 days later ? Is it just 3 days to trade said player or open more spots for rule 5 additions ?

It seems like these two dates should be combined to the same deadline. What am I missing ?

The year is 2030, we are in our 15th year of the "rebuild" but finally after 12 offseasons of adding 20lbs of muscles Victor Reyes now looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger develops his power and hits 20 home runs. We still lose a 100 games of course but somewhere Avila is sitting in his rocking chair with a smile saying to himself "that's my boy!" 

• Haha 1

I count six guys I think get added.

Perez, Bergner, Gipson-Long, Meadows, Lipcius, Olson

I wouldn't rule out a trade with a team that has a roster crunch. That is a good arbitrage opportunity.

As for the chopping block?

Miguel Diaz, Michael Papierski, Kyle Funkhouser, Jose Cisnero, Harold Castro, Sean Guenther, Brendon Davis, Kody Clemens, Zach Short, Andy Ibanez are all possibilities. And if you want to non-tender Jeimer, you can DFA him today and non-tender Friday.

Edited by Edman85

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

It is like reverse Christmas - getting rid of sooooo much garbage. 

33 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Tyler Alexander is still on the Tigers 40 man roster by the end of the month. There are lots of others who should be above him on the chopping block.

Alexander can't strike guys out, doesn't walk few enough guys to support that, gives up contact that's routinely is too hard, has no killer out pitch, ultimately gives up too many runs, and he's going to be 29 next All-Star break. His Statcast card is awash in blue. It should be the end of the line for him here, just going off Scott Harris's big three goals, all of which Alexander fails.

The only thing he's got going for him is he's left-handed. I know we need pitching depth, as does every team, but even if we want to keep him as minor-league depth going forward. we should not be wasting a 40-man slot on him. Particularly if Harris determines that there was something to post-May 8 2021 after all, and we decide we can try to compete for the weak division. Tyler Alexander has no business on a playoff team.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Boo!

Boo Willi, I assume? He was a win-positive player last year and could serve as a multi-positional depth piece. He was even average in outfield defense, not below average, by multiple measures, despite the moaning and groaning we did about him early in the year. And he's defense-positive at 2B.

Willi's not a playoff team player as currently constructed, either, but he is also not the dead loss Harold and Victor are. I think he gets one more chance to prove he can come close to 2020 once again.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Alexander can't strike guys out, doesn't walk few enough guys to support that, gives up contact that's routinely is too hard, has no killer out pitch, ultimately gives up too many runs, and he's going to be 29 next All-Star break. His Statcast card is awash in blue. It should be the end of the line for him here, just going off Scott Harris's big three goals, all of which Alexander fails.

The only thing he's got going for him is he's left-handed. I know we need pitching depth, as does every team, but even if we want to keep him as minor-league depth going forward. we should not be wasting a 40-man slot on him. Particularly if Harris determines that there was something to post-May 8 2021 after all, and we decide we can try to compete for the weak division. Tyler Alexander has no business on a playoff team.

He's decent fit for long relief if they need someone there when all else is said and done. 1st time through the order in relief last season his OPS against was 639. That's looks like his best use case if they keep him.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, a lot of it will be determined on Harris' philosophy.  He may stay if only he feels he cannot fill his roster spot with someone else.  But there's going to be so many players available soon, that it might not make a difference.  If a player doesn't fit in what Harris is trying to build, he'll be gone.  

Alexander's strikeout numbers were way down in 2022 and he isn't young enough for the "potential" label.  That might be enough to see him go.  

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Boo Willi, I assume? He was a win-positive player last year and could serve as a multi-positional depth piece. He was even average in outfield defense, not below average,

I will admit his OF play improved from where it started the season, and his IF arm does buy him some saber love as an OF. But he's still a 631 OPS against RH starters. As a 6 position utility guy you could sell me, but not so much as strictly a 4th OF.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

He's decent fit for long relief if they need someone there when all else is said and done. 1st time through the order in relief last season his OPS against was 639. That's looks like his best use case if they keep him.

That .639 OPS first time through the order is only for relief appearances, as you say, and covers just 72 PA. The year before it was .731 in 157 PA; in 2020 it was .891 in 93 PA. I'm not sure he can claim it as a permanent skill just yet.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I will admit his OF play improved from where it started the season, and his IF arm does buy him some saber love as an OF. But he's still a 631 OPS against RH starters. As a 6 position utility guy you could sell me, but not so much as strictly a 4th OF.

If Willi Castro gets slotted into fourth outfielder slot without showing some astounding improvement in Lakeland, then something has gone terribly wrong on the player acquisition front.

I agree with you, six-position utility guy is his best chance to fashion any kind of career.

35 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Alexander was pitching through injury much of this year and his stuff plays up in the pen. His arb salary doesn't project to be significantly more than the minimum. There are a lot of guys who are a lot more worthy of being dropped than "Todd."

Did I call him “Todd”? I don’t recall that, but if so, then my mistake. I think you know I meant Tyler.

Will they keep him on the 40-man in the hopes that he can progress from injured among-the-worst pitchers in baseball to a healthy merely below average pitcher? I don’t know, maybe. I guess there’s value in that for the long/mop-up guy in your pen. I might be more in line with that thinking if he were turning 25 next year rather than 29.

28 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Did I call him “Todd”? I don’t recall that, but if so, then my mistake. I think you know I meant Tyler.

Will they keep him on the 40-man in the hopes that he can progress from injured among-the-worst pitchers in baseball to a healthy merely below average pitcher? I don’t know, maybe. I guess there’s value in that for the long/mop-up guy in your pen. I might be more in line with that thinking if he were turning 25 next year rather than 29.

Todd is his nickname, and is one of my favorite of all time.

factoring in to these decisions around Tyler, Willi, Harold, etc... is less about their contributions, but instead that they are taking up a 40 man roster spot, making other prospects vulnerable in the Rule 5.  Ultimately, we might end up picking up players of their ilk later on, but we should not put any prospects at risk for players who are easily replaceable.

Edited by Tenacious D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1