2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

21 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

only Tiger fans would care about this. Our next fascination?:  Selections and appetizer recipes for everyone's Rule 5  party.

Because we wanna see a whole bunch of guys shit-canned! 😅

Looks like it might not happen all today.

BTW I have no interest in taking a flyer on yet another Rule 5 guy, but hey, if Scott Harris sees someone good slipping under everyone else's radar, then great.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Because we wanna see a whole bunch of guys shit-canned! 😅

Looks like it might not happen all today.

BTW I have no interest in taking a flyer on yet another Rule 5 guy, but hey, if Scott Harris sees someone good slipping under everyone else's radar, then great.

this should be a rich (relative, I know) crop of Rule 5 players given that the draft didn't happen last year, so this is essentially two years worth of potential players in the pool.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Perez. Lipcius. Very low K guys. P Meadows, moderately low K guy. Trend here.

All sub-20%. That's great if they hit the ball hard, too. That's a key to a low K rate being a plus—if they're soft or even medium hitters, all they're doing is making outs in the field instead of the plate.

Andre Lipcius also drew a metric ton of walks this year. Gotta like that!

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

this should be a rich (relative, I know) crop of Rule 5 players given that the draft didn't happen last year, so this is essentially two years worth of potential players in the pool.

Flip side: teams typically don't allow their best players to be exposed to the Rule 5 draft. There a lots of examples of good players chosen as a Rule 5 player, but for every one that turns out even as good as Baddoo (which ain't saying much at the moment), there are twenty who completely wash out. I just wouldn't want Harris to treat it like the numbers game Al Avila did.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I get an email from my washer when it's time for that....

(no kidding. Had the old washer 25 yrs. Nothing prepared me for a laundry appliance that spams me!)

Mine doesn't email me, but the app does light up when the washer or dryer is done. Thanks, LG!

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Not necessarily, as a lot of the stronger players from last year likely migrated to the major league roster. Teams still are keeping their strongest 40; I doubt there's a significant bump in available talent. If anything, it just made the roster crunch a bit harder for some teams; see the fire sale the Rays had today.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

If there's some crazy talented position player that slips through great...

Not counting on it though...

Plus we pick about 6th or so I believe...

Maybe a LH'ed reliever...

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I will be a little gobsmacked if Harold Castro and Kody Clemens have a role on this team next year. 

The way I see it, Harold, Willi and Kody are all vying for the same role as the super utility guy. Harold should be the first to go. Willi is more experience and polished, Kody is younger (but not much), cheaper, and has more power potential.  

I think they battle it out in the spring and if Kody can prove he can hit, he should have the inside track. Very big if there.

If you are going to release one of the two, I think Kody would have a better shot at making it through waivers and resigning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMU97 said:

The way I see it, Harold, Willi and Kody are all vying for the same role as the super utility guy. Harold should be the first to go. Willi is more experience and polished, Kody is younger (but not much), cheaper, and has more power potential.  

I think they battle it out in the spring and if Kody can prove he can hit, he should have the inside track. Very big if there.

If you are going to release one of the two, I think Kody would have a better shot at making it through waivers and resigning.

I'm more concerned with who is going to pitch the garbage innings if we get rid of both Harold and Kody.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Not as much activity yesterday as I hoped to see, but it is still only mid-November.

I will be a little gobsmacked if Harold Castro and Kody Clemens have a role on this team next year. 

For what it is worth, there are restrictions on DFA's. You can't just do it to get below 40 unless there is some reason or you are at a certain time. Yesterday was not such a time, but they can lop a few more off on non-tender day Friday without backfilling.

23 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

anyone wonder if Scott Harris is thinking, "what in the hell did I just get myself into"?  Or is he just a masochist?

Nah, one presumes he knew what he was getting into with this thing and that he's being well compensated for it.

Edited by mtutiger

28 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

anyone wonder if Scott Harris is thinking, "what in the hell did I just get myself into"?  Or is he just a masochist?

There was a subdued, nervous snicker when Scott was asked about what the Giants thought about the Tiger's farm system during his media introduction. Then there was even a more quickly subdued smile by Scott Harris himself. My take was that the Tigers have been the laughing stock of MLB for some time now. Harris knew coming in what he had to work with. His major surprise at this point is when he finds something in the organization that is useful.