2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

30 minutes ago, buddha said:

there isnt another free agent third baseman who could give you candy's production?  

It's slim pickings.

Third Basemen

Ehire Adrianza (33)
Hanser Alberto (30)
Willians Astudillo (31)
Johan Camargo (29)
Charlie Culberson (34)
Brandon Drury (30)
Matt Duffy (32)
Maikel Franco (30)
Phil Gosselin (34)
Josh Harrison (35)
Evan Longoria (37)
Jace Peterson (33)
Donovan Solano (35)
Justin Turner (38)
Jonathan Villar (32)

9 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

It's slim pickings.

Third Basemen

Ehire Adrianza (33)
Hanser Alberto (30)
Willians Astudillo (31)
Johan Camargo (29)
Charlie Culberson (34)
Brandon Drury (30)
Matt Duffy (32)
Maikel Franco (30)
Phil Gosselin (34)
Josh Harrison (35)
Evan Longoria (37)
Jace Peterson (33)
Donovan Solano (35)
Justin Turner (38)
Jonathan Villar (32)

Astudillo could at least replace Tucker in the bullpen.  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by gehringer_2

56 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

It's slim pickings.

Third Basemen

Ehire Adrianza (33)
Hanser Alberto (30)
Willians Astudillo (31)
Johan Camargo (29)
Charlie Culberson (34)
Brandon Drury (30)
Matt Duffy (32)
Maikel Franco (30)
Phil Gosselin (34)
Josh Harrison (35)
Evan Longoria (37)
Jace Peterson (33)
Donovan Solano (35)
Justin Turner (38)
Jonathan Villar (32)

All would be 1-2 year stopgaps, along with Candy.  I think I’d prefer Longoria or Turner for one season—they’d be more interesting and hopefully could instill a sense of winning with our younger guys.

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

All would be 1-2 year stopgaps, along with Candy.  I think I’d prefer Longoria or Turner for one season—they’d be more interesting and hopefully could instill a sense of winning with our younger guys.

I would think with the dearth of 3Bdudes available, Longoria and Turner should be able to find a better (winning) situation elsewhere.  On the other hand, Kenny Rogers pitched in more World Series games for the Tigers than my pre2006 logic would have thought, so what do I know?

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

It's slim pickings.

Third Basemen

Ehire Adrianza (33)
Hanser Alberto (30)
Willians Astudillo (31)
Johan Camargo (29)
Charlie Culberson (34)
Brandon Drury (30)
Matt Duffy (32)
Maikel Franco (30)
Phil Gosselin (34)
Josh Harrison (35)
Evan Longoria (37)
Jace Peterson (33)
Donovan Solano (35)
Justin Turner (38)
Jonathan Villar (32)

i might take slim pickes  over candy.  he's probably better at hitting lefties.

I don't understand why people are so down on Candelario.  He was good in 2017, then got injured, was good in 2020-2021 and then bad in 2022. He seemsd like a good bounce back candidate to me.  I wish they had someone better, but I don't see him as someone that HAS to be replaced yet.    

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't understand why people are so down on Candelario.  He was good in 2017, then got injured, was good in 2020-2021 and then bad in 2022. He seemsd like a good bounce back candidate to me.  I wish they had someone better, but I don't see him as someone that HAS to be replaced yet.    

I can understand going either way on Candelario.  Same for CastroW, same for Alexander.  

32 minutes ago, casimir said:

I can understand going either way on Candelario.  Same for CastroW, same for Alexander.  

I would look at them differently though.

Candy is a FA after 2023 I believe so he's a 1-year stopgap to see where Keith will be by the middle/ end of next year. He's also a comeback candidate that was good in 2021, and may have some trade value at the deadline if he can get back on track. He does have a proven history, even if that history is spotty. Also it's a weak market for his position so maybe the short-term solution is to gamble on all of the above as there's no really apparent "better option".

Willi I'd have to look at as a potential development "project". If the team believes his glove and/ or bat can "develop" then hold onto him. If they believe he is easily replaceable, or for whatever reason he just doesn't get it or won't be able to improve, then move on. I think this is simply a player evaluation/ decision rather than all the raft of issues surrounding 3B.

Alexander has proven himself a useful lefty with weak peripherals. If I find someone better, I move him out. Otherwise, if a 40-man spot is not needed, I hold on just until...

47 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't understand why people are so down on Candelario.  He was good in 2017, then got injured, was good in 2020-2021 and then bad in 2022. He seems like a good bounce back candidate to me.  I wish they had someone better, but I don't see him as someone that HAS to be replaced yet.    

Which is exactly where I am at with him...

55 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He seemsd like a good bounce back candidate to me.  

This is the key. I 'm more skeptical, but I'll be happy to be wrong. There are enough positions in need of upgrading that they could do a lot of work toward being a better team without ever getting to 3rd base, which is also OK I suppose.

37 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I would look at them differently though.

Candy is a FA after 2023 I believe so he's a 1-year stopgap to see where Keith will be by the middle/ end of next year. He's also a comeback candidate that was good in 2021, and may have some trade value at the deadline if he can get back on track. He does have a proven history, even if that history is spotty. Also it's a weak market for his position so maybe the short-term solution is to gamble on all of the above as there's no really apparent "better option".

Willi I'd have to look at as a potential development "project". If the team believes his glove and/ or bat can "develop" then hold onto him. If they believe he is easily replaceable, or for whatever reason he just doesn't get it or won't be able to improve, then move on. I think this is simply a player evaluation/ decision rather than all the raft of issues surrounding 3B.

Alexander has proven himself a useful lefty with weak peripherals. If I find someone better, I move him out. Otherwise, if a 40-man spot is not needed, I hold on just until...

We know what they’ve shown, and given other options, I can see the rationale to keep them.

We know what they’ve shown, and the front office might see other players to pursue and/or they simply don’t think these players will be worth retaining.

I guess we’ll find out sometime today which way the wind is blowing.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I would argue good.

But the point is more cost. Would we be better getting his same production for fraction of the cost and using the extra money elsewhere? 

1 minute ago, KL2 said:

I would argue good.

But the point is more cost. Would we be better getting his same production for fraction of the cost and using the extra money elsewhere? 

Well, there isn’t any reason to toss money at FA 3Bdudes.

Gio Urshela was traded today.  That’s another 3Bdude off of the (trade) market.