2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Harris being pretty conservative about keeping arms. Soto, Jiménez, Rony García and even Cisnero appear to be back (as per Petzold). Bryan Garcia and Funkhouser the only notable exits from the pitching ranks other than Chafin, who made his own choice.

You can never have enough arms especially if your planning on trading out your bullpen. 

17 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Welker seems interesting...

Welker suffers from former Rockies hitting prospectitis.

That is to say a lot of people overrate those types, perhaps because there's some fantasy twist to prospect analysis.

He also had a PED suspension this year. His good seasons are all in massive hitter's parks/leagues. To me, Vosler is the more intriguing of their non-tendered 3B.

Edited by Edman85

20 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Welker suffers from former Rockies hitting prospectitis.

That is to say a lot of people overrate those types, perhaps because there's some fantasy twist to prospect analysis.

He also had a PED suspension this year. His good seasons are all in massive hitter's parks/leagues. To me, Vosler is the more intriguing of their non-tendered 3B.

Vosler definitely looks useful

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I think this is right. The reality is that had he been tendered, he would have been earning way more than he was justified based on his performance last year. Even harder to countenance given how subpar he looked in the field as well.

I get that he may be projected by models to perform better in 2023 and that the options in free agency aren't great, but I dont blame the Tigers in the least for not just settling on overpaying Candelario out of fear of the unknown. Especially if Harris feels that he isn't a guy for the long term.

It wouldn't bother me if the Tigers sign him back at a lower contract, say $4-ish (+/-) mill...

I don't consider that a problem with spending money on him (the tender versus non-tender) but rather management putting a dollar value on a player and sticking to it.

I'm probably a little more Chicken Little on that and would be more afraid of leaving a hole there than overpaying Candy for 1 year... I would have tendered him. But I'm not going to squawk pending: Getting Candy back at a lower cost, OR finding a better solution some way, somehow....

I'll wait to see what Harris comes up with...

2 hours ago, alex said:

Looking at some of the non-tenders, LAD Edwin Rios, 3B-1B, LH, age 28 might be worth a gamble.

He was pretty steady in the minors, has some pop and a 'Corner Inf. that bats LH' which SHarris had mentioned... 🤔

That's a guy I could take a chance on...

Even if he just ends up as a placeholder or backup for those spots...

ESPN has Jose Abreu projected at 2 years, 46 million.  I think that's probably light but some team is going to get a steal with Abreu because of his age.  I would be ecstatic to get him on a two year deal.  

Edited by Hart

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Gonna miss the Castro Bros.  They were rascals.

The 40-man is depressing:

01A413C1-DF3B-4252-9A4F-1D1D4937A3F3.png

Not sure why Cisnero was kept.  Seems a waste of a roster spot.  I would’ve placed more value on Candelario and CastroW than Cisnero.  But I’m an idiot, so there’s that.

Short seems an odd keep, too.

Edited by casimir

15 minutes ago, Hart said:

New article on Bogaerts defense from fangraphs.  My dream scenario would be sign Bogaerts for second base and move Schoop to third as a one year stop gap till Colt Keith is ready.  

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/xander-bogaerts-defensive-bogeyman/

I think this last season has been an example why you shouldnt wait around for a prospect to be "ready"  

• Like 1

It is simply time to relax. Think of it like we are watching a long epic movie. To me it is like I am watching the movie, "The Longest Day" and we are only say, 10 minutes into a movie that runs 2 hours and 58 minutes. A lot of time is left in this offseason. So far, every move that has been made is correct in my book.

12 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

It is simply time to relax. Think of it like we are watching a long epic movie. To me it is like I am watching the movie, "The Longest Day" and we are only say, 10 minutes into a movie that runs 2 hours and 58 minutes. A lot of time is left in this offseason. So far, every move that has been made is correct in my book.

All he’s done is clear some spots and pick up a few lottery tickets.  The cuts were almost administrative—they were very obvious.  Not excited about any of the minor league acquisitions he’s made.

I agree he is just getting started, but I can’t get excited or give him credit for anything yet—moving forward is where things should get interesting.

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

The cuts were almost administrative—they were very obvious.

I wouldnt call the cuts yesterday obvious, fwiw. At least on here given the back and forth discussion about whether it was better to keep Candy or not.

What I do think we can conclude so far is that the new guy isn't gonna just fall back on doing the safe thing... it would have been easy and safe (and frankly, the Avila move) to bring back Candy and at least one of the Castros rather than risk having to fill in their spots with someone else.

Our expectations as fans should evolve accordingly.

• Like 1