2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

While very true, they could use a bat of Brantley’s ilk in the lineup.  I’d be fine with him as the everyday LF/DH.  I wouldn’t consider Brantley a platoon player.  Maybe I’d bat him lower vs LHP, but I’d be comfortable with him in the lineup vs LHP.  The opposition is probably going to go to a RHP at some point during the game anyway.

As you mention the LHH heavy OF, and knowing Harris’ desire for a RHH OF, it’d be nice if they could find one that can handle all 3 OF spots.  Much easier said than done, but Greene and (squinting) Baddoo are the only CFs currently on the 40.  Granted, it’s only mid November, but there’s room for depth there.

I love Brantley as a player, but he had too much trouble staying on the field even when he was younger and now he's old.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Well, now this is ridiculous.  We haven't had a Tiger game thread to throw our anguish around in months.  The days are getting shorter.  The weather is getting colder.  Our families and friends are sick of the extra exposure to us that we would normally be devoting to the Tigers during the regular season.  Time to relax?  Balderdash.  Now is the time of our discontent.

Thanks for this reply. It immediately brought to mind the pamphlet "Common Sense" by Thomas Paine.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I love Brantley as a player, but he had too much trouble staying on the field even when he was younger and now he's old.

You know, I thought that, too.  But he had over 600 PAs in 2018 and 2019, over 500 PAs in 2021.  Injuries in 2022, fair to call those out.  

4 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

This is the point. I am pleased that decisions that should have been made, in some cases, years ago, are finally being made. The fastest way to make a mess of any organization is to delay or deny  making obvious decisions swiftly.The Tigers have raised delaying obvious decisions to an art form. Scott Harris is changing that and will change organizational culture for the better if this continues.  He is going to churn the utility grade players like they are butter, and very few (maybe only one?) will be on the roster by opening day.

There are plenty of Tiger fans and likely members of the Tigers organization proper that have been conditioned to accept players like the Castros to be average to better than average ball players, which they obviously are not. Certain notions such as these must be dispelled and exiled from Tigers Nation so that the real work of fixing this franchise can happen.

1000%. 

Candy is more of a 50/50 proposition and time will tell, but the definition of insanity is running the Castros out there over and over again and expecting different results. 

They may not be good next year, but it's not gonna be because of any moves they made yesterday. Time to move on and see if there are better options.

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I respectfully disagree.  There were zero surprises for me.  And I’ve been underwhelmed with his dumpster diving, including the OF he grabbed yesterday.  
I’m not concerned—as I outlined, nothing so far has been significant.  Now that the roster has been settled, we can start to evaluate moving forward.

I'm not complaining about the job Harris is doing so far, and I am definitely giving him a lot of rope, at least a couple years worth, in which he has to demonstrate some level of incompetence before I do start seriously complaining. I don't expect to see that—I'm just setting my personal benchmark for that kind of response.

That said, within a limited sense, I'm with you. So far it's been a lot of meh waiver pickups coupled with tenders and non-tenders everyone expected even during the season. Nothing on the roster front has surprised or delighted me just yet. In fact I'm a bit disappointed by the Cisnero tender, based on his advanced age, steadily declining strikeout rate, and sieve-like walk rate. OMMV.

Edited by chasfh

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I doubt there is any discussion about this, particularly with his hitting struggles and need to improve in that category, but man it would be nice if Torkelson could be slotted in at third base. Feels like that could open more possibilities, even if the options at 1B aren't too much better than 3B.

But not gonna happen and probably shouldnt.

It would be nice, but TORK!'s arm is way too weak for third. Heck, it's among the weakest of those at first, and they practically don't need an arm at all.

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It would be nice, but TORK!'s arm is way too weak for third. Heck, it's among the weakest of those at first, and they practically don't need an arm at all.

So if we have all these biomechanics gurus for pitching staffs would you suppose they could take a crack at helping an IF throw harder? I guess you hear about OF's working on their throwing but it's usually just about footwork and all, you just don't hear much about teams trying to coach non-pitchers to be able to throw harder. Seems curious to me.

Whatever, it would be nice it could happen because Spencer's glove looks fine.

Edited by gehringer_2

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

So if we have all these biomechanics gurus for pitching staffs would you suppose they could take a crack at helping an IF throw harder? I guess you hear about OF's working on their throwing but it's usually just about footwork and all, you just don't hear much about teams trying to coach non-pitchers to be able to throw harder. Seems curious to me.

Whatever, it would be nice it could happen because Spencer's glove looks fine.

Sure it could happen, but there is no way any amount of biomechanics gurury is going to hike TORK!’s 74mph average throw up to the MLB average of 85mph for third basemen.

Anyhow, was it you who came on board with me a week or so ago when I hypothesized that the Drivelining of pitching might be a key reason pitcher injuries have rocketed skyward? If infielders start doing those kinds of drills as well, we might see a rash of TJs among them, too. 

Edited by chasfh

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Baddoo’s average throwing speed is 84.7, which ranks 29th of 40 qualifying left fielders and sits comfortably below the big league average of 87.3. 

Not sure average throwing speed is the best measure, as on most throws there is not going to be a close play. That said in Baddoo's case it's irrelevant anyway because he can't hit his target whether he throws it hard or not.  Velo value is pretty much negated if the receiver has to move any distance away from the tag point to catch the ball.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Sure it could happen, but there is no way any amount of biomechanics gurury is going to hike TORK!’s 74mph average throw up to the MLB average of 85mph.

Besides, wasn’t it you who came on board with me a week or so ago when I hypothesized that the Drivelining of pitching might be a key reason pitcher injuries have rocketed skyward? If infielders start doing those kinds of drills as well, we might see a rash of TJs among them, too. 

could be, though an IF doesn't make a 100 throws in a game and is not trying to throw breaking balls. It's more a theoretical question though. Pitch coaching does seem to have helped pitchers pick up 3 maybe even in some cases 5 mph. That's not trivial even if it might be enough to help Torkelson in particular. Candelario's arm is no great shakes for a 3B - he could (have) benefit(ed) from little more zip. Looking back past Candy - Lugo et al were just fill-ins while Candelario was at 1st. Castellanos' glove problems were bad enough we never got around to worrying much about his arm which was decent in any case, and before that Cabrera and Inge both had plenty of arm, though Brandon's wasn't always accurate.

5 hours ago, casimir said:

... and knowing Harris’ desire for a RHH OF, it’d be nice if they could find one that can handle all 3 OF spots.  Much easier said than done, but Greene and (squinting) Baddoo are the only CFs currently on the 40.  Granted, it’s only mid November, but there’s room for depth there.

Too bad Derek Hill and Daz Cameron both flopped miserably...

(ducks after mentioning 2 former Tigers unmentionables...)

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not sure average throwing speed is the best measure, as on most throws there is not going to be a close play. That said in Baddoo's case it's irrelevant anyway because he can't hit his target whether he throws it hard or not.  Velo value is pretty much negated if the receiver has to move any distance away from the tag point to catch the ball.

Average throwing stepped does not include non-contesting throws such as tosses into the infield from after routine single. They separate out only to top x throws that have a play attached to them, and are calculated for a player only after an established minimum number of contestable throws for the position. Baddoo is still below average.

Be that as it may, to your point, Baddoo is also inconsistent and inaccurate, which we both agree to be true by applying the subjective, anecdotal eye test. Also, for what it’s worth, Statcast also says Baddoo has a bad jump and the routes he takes are also below average.

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

could be, though an IF doesn't make a 100 throws in a game and is not trying to throw breaking balls. It's more a theoretical question though. Pitch coaching does seem to have helped pitchers pick up 3 maybe even in some cases 5 mph. That's not trivial even if it might be enough to help Torkelson in particular. Candelario's arm is no great shakes for a 3B - he could (have) benefit(ed) from little more zip. Looking back past Candy - Lugo et al were just fill-ins while Candelario was at 1st. Castellanos' glove problems were bad enough we never got around to worrying much about his arm which was decent in any case, and before that Cabrera and Inge both had plenty of arm, though Brandon's wasn't always accurate.

An infielder doesn’t have to make 100 throws in a game for a 10mph deficit versus average to cost him more outs with late throws than an average infielder would yield over the course of a season.

One thing I would like Statcast to start tracking is accuracy of infield throws. Establish a “strike zone” for throws to first, a zone within which a first basemen can comfortably reach for a throw, versus having to stretch too far left or right, or leap way up, or have to come off the bag. Also, throws that make it all the way to first base in the air, or that bounce far enough in front of first so the ball is caught at a comfortable height, versus balls that bounce right at the feet of the first baseman. I assume they’re actively figuring that out, or maybe they already have and just don’t share it publicly at the moment.

Statcast could also measure how far in front of the bag a first baseman catches the throw. The longer he stretches, the more inches he shaves off the throw distance, the quicker he catches the ball, the more OAA made during the season. I gotta believe they are working on that one, too.

Edited by chasfh

Apropos of nothing, I compiled the list of Tigers non-tenders dating back to 1990. Data pre-1995 is spotty.

Year Player
2022 Jeimer Candelario
2022 Harold Castro
2022 Willi Castro
2022 Brendon Davis
2022 Miguel Diaz
2022 Kyle Funkhouser
2022 Michael Papierski
2021 Matthew Boyd
2021 Grayson Greiner
2018 Alex Wilson
2018 James McCann
2017 Bruce Rondon
2015 Neftali Feliz
2015 Al Alburquerque
2012 Daniel Schlereth
2011 Will Rhymes
2010 Zach Miner
2008 Aquilino Lopez
2007 Chad Durbin
2006 Alexis Gomez
2004 Eric Munson
2003 Ben Petrick
2003 Andy Van Hekken
2002 Robert Fick
2002 Julio Santana
2001 Deivi Cruz
1997 Bob Hamelin
1997 Fernando Hernandez
1994 Junior Felix
1994 Gene Harris
1994 Mike Gardiner
1994 Chad Kreuter
1993 Bob MacDonald
1993 Gary Thurman
1992 Mark Carreon
1991 Andy Allanson
1991 Johnny Paredes
1990 Lance McCullers

8 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Apropos of nothing, I compiled the list of Tigers non-tenders dating back to 1990. Data pre-1995 is spotty.

Year Player
2022 Jeimer Candelario
2022 Harold Castro
2022 Willi Castro
2022 Brendon Davis
2022 Miguel Diaz
2022 Kyle Funkhouser
2022 Michael Papierski
2021 Matthew Boyd
2021 Grayson Greiner
2018 Alex Wilson
2018 James McCann
2017 Bruce Rondon
2015 Neftali Feliz
2015 Al Alburquerque
2012 Daniel Schlereth
2011 Will Rhymes
2010 Zach Miner
2008 Aquilino Lopez
2007 Chad Durbin
2006 Alexis Gomez
2004 Eric Munson
2003 Ben Petrick
2003 Andy Van Hekken
2002 Robert Fick
2002 Julio Santana
2001 Deivi Cruz
1997 Bob Hamelin
1997 Fernando Hernandez
1994 Junior Felix
1994 Gene Harris
1994 Mike Gardiner
1994 Chad Kreuter
1993 Bob MacDonald
1993 Gary Thurman
1992 Mark Carreon
1991 Andy Allanson
1991 Johnny Paredes
1990 Lance McCullers

So, you’re saying we’ve never been hurt by this.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Year Player
2022 Jeimer Candelario
2022 Harold Castro
2022 Willi Castro
2022 Brendon Davis
2022 Miguel Diaz
2022 Kyle Funkhouser
2022 Michael Papierski
2021 Matthew Boyd
2021 Grayson Greiner
2018 Alex Wilson
2018 James McCann
2017 Bruce Rondon
2015 Neftali Feliz
2015 Al Alburquerque
2012 Daniel Schlereth
2011 Will Rhymes
2010 Zach Miner
2008 Aquilino Lopez
2007 Chad Durbin
2006 Alexis Gomez
2004 Eric Munson
2003 Ben Petrick
2003 Andy Van Hekken
2002 Robert Fick
2002 Julio Santana
2001 Deivi Cruz
1997 Bob Hamelin
1997 Fernando Hernandez
1994 Junior Felix
1994 Gene Harris
1994 Mike Gardiner
1994 Chad Kreuter
1993 Bob MacDonald
1993 Gary Thurman
1992 Mark Carreon
1991 Andy Allanson
1991 Johnny Paredes
1990 Lance McCullers

So in the last 33 years we’ve non-tendered 38 players.  7 (18 pct) of them were this year

Edited by 4hzglory

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Year Player
2022 Jeimer Candelario
2022 Harold Castro
2022 Willi Castro
2022 Brendon Davis
2022 Miguel Diaz
2022 Kyle Funkhouser
2022 Michael Papierski
2021 Matthew Boyd
2021 Grayson Greiner
2018 Alex Wilson
2018 James McCann
2017 Bruce Rondon
2015 Neftali Feliz
2015 Al Alburquerque
2012 Daniel Schlereth
2011 Will Rhymes
2010 Zach Miner
2008 Aquilino Lopez
2007 Chad Durbin
2006 Alexis Gomez
2004 Eric Munson
2003 Ben Petrick
2003 Andy Van Hekken
2002 Robert Fick
2002 Julio Santana
2001 Deivi Cruz
1997 Bob Hamelin
1997 Fernando Hernandez
1994 Junior Felix
1994 Gene Harris
1994 Mike Gardiner
1994 Chad Kreuter
1993 Bob MacDonald
1993 Gary Thurman
1992 Mark Carreon
1991 Andy Allanson
1991 Johnny Paredes
1990 Lance McCullers

Interesting. Any idea how this compares with other teams?