2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

I'm not sure if they are just feeding a line of BS to Jason Beck, or if he is a complicit part of a propaganda machine, but the rationale they gave for dumping Reyes was they felt the outfield was overly dominated by left handed hitters and they wanted to bring in a righty. WHILE AT THE SAME TIME claiming that a motivator for letting Candy go, was that the infield was overly dominated by righties.

So it seems to me they are engineering excuses of convenience.   

Edited by Useful Idiot

8 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

I'm not sure if they are just feeding a line of BS to Jason Beck, or if he is a complicit part of a propaganda machine, but the rationale they gave for dumping Reyes was they felt the outfield was overly dominated by left handed hitters and they wanted to bring in a righty. WHILE AT THE SAME TIME claiming that a motivator for letting Candy go, was that the infield was overly dominated by righties.

I do admit I don't understand the concern over whether your R/L hitting balance resides in the OF or the IF. You are sending the same net number of RH vs LH batters to face the pitcher regardless of where they play defense. I suppose it goes back to the modern fixation of having Swiss Army Knife like flexibility to have a thousand different subsitition possibilities in a modern game where virtually no-one ever substitutes/pinch hits/platoons in practice at all.

Edited by gehringer_2

What do you folks think about Caven Biggio for 3B/2B  ? Seems blocked in Toronto. Young with MLB experience, Lefty, takes a walk,  started his career fast and has slowed but still worth 1 war and might improve with playing time.  Salary only 2.6 million next year and three more years on control. Might be available for the relievers we have. Maybe try to package him with Jansen for Catcher ?

59 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I do admit I don't understand the concern over whether your R/L hitting balance resides in the OF or the IF. You are sending the same net number of RH vs LH batters to face the pitcher regardless of where they play defense. I suppose it goes back to the modern fixation of having Swiss Army Knife like flexibility to have a thousand different subsitition possibilities in a modern game where virtually no-one ever substitutes/pinch hits/platoons in practice at all.

They want the flexibility of left/right matchups by position.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

They want the flexibility of left/right matchups by position.

exactly. But look at a modern box-score and tell me how many times the average manager makes a subsitution that matters in the modern game. Hardly worth the candle to worry about it.

It's one of those effects which are out in the decimal places of winning percentage compared just having better hitters playing anywhere.

Ironicallly, DD, the guy everyone cites as having the winning formulae, hardely cared a bit about handedness balance. We had a lot of massively right handed teams under his watch.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Useful Idiot said:

From the Tiger's website:

While the Tigers were cognizant that Candelario could turn it around in what looms as his final season before free agency, they didn’t want to buy into a rebound at arbitration-level prices. 

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/news/jeimer-candelario-non-tendered-by-tigers

Considering the off year Candy just had, I can't imagine that he'd have much leverage for raising his price.

It's (the braintrust's strategy)  obviously about "cheap and controllable" and anyone who thinks otherwise is smoking themselves.

If Harris signs any "ready for prime time" players, I'll be shocked. 

All it means is that the didn't think Candy was worth 7 mill., doesn't mean anything else regarding overall strategy.

1 hour ago, Useful Idiot said:

Then why did we sign Bligh Madris, LH hitting OF, after cutting Reyes?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

exactly. But look at a modern box-score and tell me how many times the average manager makes a subsitution that matters in the modern game. Hardly worth the candle to worry about it.

It's one of those effects which are out in the decimal places of winning percentage compared just having better hitters playing anywhere.

Ironicallly, DD, the guy everyone cites as having the winning formulae, hardely cared a bit about handedness balance. We had a lot of massively right handed teams under his watch.

Youre right, substitutions are fewer and farther between now. With the new 26/13 roster rule, which gives us four subs on the bench versus three or even two, we might start to see subbing pick up once teams figure out how to optimize staffing for it. Even so, I think it might be less about options for substitution and more about flexibility with the starting lineup. 

Edited by chasfh

2 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:
2 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Candelario likely dropped because of money.  Same with Reyes to some extent.  However, I think there is a pattern - Reyes, H. Castro and Willi Castro can not draw walks.  I am betting there will be more emphasis on on base skills going forward.  

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

What do you folks think about Caven Biggio for 3B/2B  ? Seems blocked in Toronto. Young with MLB experience, Lefty, takes a walk,  started his career fast and has slowed but still worth 1 war and might improve with playing time.  Salary only 2.6 million next year and three more years on control. Might be available for the relievers we have. Maybe try to package him with Jansen for Catcher ?

he would be a great fit for Tigers; I doubt Tor trades him away as they would become almost exclusively RH with position players; don't know if any Det OF interests Tor, but they clearly want a CF, and LH OF bats

Josh Smith and Ezekiel Duran of Tex are blocked by Simien, Seager and Jung; one or both would be a good pick up

4 hours ago, KL2 said:

Can we stop saying he was good. His ops in 2021 was below .800 

His WAR was almost 4.0, which also included good defense.  Now WAR is a flawed stat...unless it supports your argument.  

What is not being said enough is that Candelario was a negative on defense in 2022, and it usually doesn't get better as players age.  

I see the former clubhouse manager has a discrimination lawsuit against the Tigers.   I wonder if he was a source for the gambling element and Harris knew that while at his other teams.   That is the most charitable possible narrative for the Tiger's part of the situation.   I would otherwise hope that the Tigers knew he was intentionally feeding elbow strain-causing foods to the pitchers.

21 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I see the former clubhouse manager has a discrimination lawsuit against the Tigers.   I wonder if he was a source for the gambling element and Harris knew that while at his other teams.   That is the most charitable possible narrative for the Tiger's part of the situation.   I would otherwise hope that the Tigers knew he was intentionally feeding elbow strain-causing foods to the pitchers.

For clarification, the one filing the suit was fired after last season, prior to Harris.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2022/11/21/fired-clubhouse-manager-sues-tigers-alleging-racial-discrimination/69668393007/

10 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I think it is a definite idea worth looking at. However, Toronto is very RH right now - so they may need to make another move or two first...

Yes, both a C (Jansen?) and Biggio could make sense for a Detroit package that might include a RP+

Hoy Park, though not a big time prospect, yet still young, LH and can play around the INF was just designated by Pit yesterday. He has OBA skills (noted for working the count), some power and speed.

Wonder if they looked at Hunter Renfroe (Milw, RH OF power bat and decent D) before he was dealt to LAA? Seems may of been a possible Candy straight 1-1 deal for him as possible.

Edited by alex

55 minutes ago, romad1 said:

He was in the visitor's clubhouse, so that would have been good.

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

He was in the visitor's clubhouse, so that would have been good.

I remember back during the ugly Randy Smith era there were all sorts of weird little scandals involving the team.  Flight attendants dealing with obnoxious behavior and the like.  A tight ship doesn't generate leaks.  So, whatever the merits of this guy's case and I do not have DETNEWS sub so i'll rely on others to opine, its not great that this sort of thing happens.  

51 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I remember back during the ugly Randy Smith era there were all sorts of weird little scandals involving the team.  Flight attendants dealing with obnoxious behavior and the like.  A tight ship doesn't generate leaks.  So, whatever the merits of this guy's case and I do not have DETNEWS sub so i'll rely on others to opine, its not great that this sort of thing happens.  

After a poor survey of MLB clubs on facilities, he was fired in Oct 21 by Sam Menzin.  He's suing for racial and age discrimination.  He'd been with the team since the 80's.

They reference the Chris Bosio situation where another attendant made the claims and sued but no record of the lawsuit can be found by the reporter(s).

I'm sure a black person who has been with the same org for 33 years will have some juicy examples over that time.