2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, alex said:

I think it is a definite idea worth looking at. However, Toronto is very RH right now - so they may need to make another move or two first...

Yes, both a C (Jansen?) and Biggio could make sense for a Detroit package that might include a RP+

Hoy Park, though not a big time prospect, yet still young, LH and can play around the INF was just designated by Pit yesterday. He has OBA skills (noted for working the count), some power and speed.

Wonder if they looked at Hunter Renfroe (Milw, RH OF power bat and decent D) before he was dealt to LAA? Seems may of been a possible Candy straight 1-1 deal for him as possible.

Hoy Park is interesting, but would hope they would do a little more than that to fix their hole at 3B

I’ll be fine letting Jeimer go if Harris can replace him with a third baseman who will be at least as good. People think that should be a piece of cake and that really, Candy sucks anyway so just about anyone will do, but I don’t think it will be as easy as all that. But, if Harris can pull it off, in whatever manner he can manage to, then Jeimer who.

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, oblong said:

After a poor survey of MLB clubs on facilities, he was fired in Oct 21 by Sam Menzin.  He's suing for racial and age discrimination.  He'd been with the team since the 80's.

They reference the Chris Bosio situation where another attendant made the claims and sued but no record of the lawsuit can be found by the reporter(s).

I'm sure a black person who has been with the same org for 33 years will have some juicy examples over that time.

or its a money grab by someone who wasnt doing the job well.

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

or its a money grab by someone who wasnt doing the job well.

Possibly.  I wasn't commenting on the merits of it, just summarizing the article for Romad.  But independent of that I think my point is true about what minorities have experienced the last 35-40 years even after all the progress we've made.

34 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Lipcius cannot hit velocity? i think that might be a problem

Ding ding ding ding... Also hinted Parker Meadows has similar issues and points to data that's been provided to them that isn't public.

That supercedes fluffy video clips tweeted out for engagement.

Edited by Edman85

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Ding ding ding ding... Also hinted Parker Meadows has similar issues and points to data that's been provided to them that isn't public.

That supercedes fluffy video clips tweeted out for engagement.

curious they would bother puttting Parker on the 40 if he can't hit the FB. Have to assume they think they can shorten him to the ball enough to change that. Good luck if that's the case.

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

curious they would bother puttting Parker on the 40 if he can't hit the FB. Have to assume they think they can shorten him to the ball enough to change that. Good luck if that's the case.

Let's see what the score says:

Tork! can't hit the FB.

Parker can't hit the FB.

Jace Jung can't hit the FB.

Lupicus can't hit the FB?

What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

Tork! can't hit the FB.

Parker can't hit the FB.

the problem was recently removed from the organization.  hopefully the new person hired has a solution.

anything we get from avila's drafts is a bonus because i dont expect any of them to be all stars, much less serious contributors.

except greene, he seems like the real deal.  im having serious doubts about tork! but his pre draft status makes me think he must be fixable.

39 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

curious they would bother puttting Parker on the 40 if he can't hit the FB. 

You add a player like him even if there are issues with the hit tool because he goes plus on literally every other tool in the scouting report. The reward is too significant to ignore in this case, particularly when you can very easily create 40-man space to accommodate him.

27 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Our secret weapons against junk ball pitchers.

I think oddly enough there is something to that. DD brought in players almost exclusively based on ability to hit the FB and the Tigers were uniquely vulnerable to junk ball pitchers to the point it was a running joke here. Like in a lot of areas, it seems Al Avila reacted too far in the opposite direction with his preferences. I would think the most reliable team is the one with at least some hitters that are going to be successful against whatever pitcher you have to face. Obviously you want the best hitters in general, but in the real world where you can't have that, I still wouldn't want a team where all the players profile with the same weakness whether it be the FB or off-speed.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, HeyAbbott said:

Tork! can't hit the FB.

Parker can't hit the FB.

Oh for heavens sake, many prospects struggle with premium velocity as they rise, you struggle with what you haven't consistently faced before. The question is, do you adapt?

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Hoy Park is interesting, but would hope they would do a little more than that to fix their hole at 3B

I agree and think they will get someone more 'settling' for the position along with another versatile type (like Hoy Park perhaps) that could also be a platoon type (depth option) to go with say A.Ibanez.

IMHO, there is going to be more changes to not only the MLB roster but also the AAA-depth area.

16 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Then why did we sign Bligh Madris, LH hitting OF, after cutting Reyes?

Noticed that, and I was thinking the exact same thing!!

I believe that Scott Harris puts as much forethought into his rationale as a cheating spouse put's into their alibi.

Write that one down, I might  want to take credit for it later.  :classic_ninja:

3 hours ago, buddha said:

the problem was recently removed from the organization.  hopefully the new person hired has a solution.

anything we get from avila's drafts is a bonus because i dont expect any of them to be all stars, much less serious contributors.

except greene, he seems like the real deal.  im having serious doubts about tork! but his pre draft status makes me think he must be fixable.

I not worried about Torkelson.  Last season was awful, it was awful for a lot of Tiger hitters.  Maybe its coincidence, maybe it was something in the water.  He was at the top of everyone's draft boards, he's put up some good numbers in the minors.  Flush last season, look forward to next season.

18 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I do admit I don't understand the concern over whether your R/L hitting balance resides in the OF or the IF. You are sending the same net number of RH vs LH batters to face the pitcher regardless of where they play defense. 

You and I on the same page here. He's just making up alibis to cover his imperative to make changes. Like I said in another post, his reasoning is like the alibis dreamed up by a cheating spouse.

Edited by Useful Idiot

4 hours ago, microline133 said:

You add a player like him even if there are issues with the hit tool because he goes plus on literally every other tool in the scouting report. The reward is too significant to ignore in this case, particularly when you can very easily create 40-man space to accommodate him.

I don't know if you would know this...

But before 2022, how close was the Tigers Org to giving up on Parker? Any idea on their thinking?

4 hours ago, buddha said:

I think Jung might be a sample size issue. Tork! I am extremely worried about.

3 hours ago, Longgone said:

Oh for heavens sake, many prospects struggle with premium velocity as they rise, you struggle with what you haven't consistently faced before. The question is, do you adapt?

I think this is part of the difficulty with moving hitters through the minors. I think brain research argues that the windows on adaptability progressively close off every year older we get. That argues that there is biological pressure to move guys as quickly *as possible*. The trick is that for every player there is a fast which is too fast.