2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

i'd pay to watch miggy bat one more time.

and i agree with the posters who wrote that how you treat your icon players matters.  you signed him to that stupid deal and now you have to live with it.

besides, i'd rather see miggy bat and strike out than fawn all over the next mike laga and make excuses for the next five years when he cant hit.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'd pay to watch miggy bat one more time.

and i agree with the posters who wrote that how you treat your icon players matters.  you signed him to that stupid deal and now you have to live with it.

besides, i'd rather see miggy bat and strike out than fawn all over the next mike laga and make excuses for the next five years when he cant hit.

Does Tork = Laga in your example?   Asking for a friend.

40 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Does Tork = Laga in your example?   Asking for a friend.

i just picked mike laga out of my memory as a guy who had a lot of local hype.  it could have easily been chris pittaro, matt brunson, gabe alvarez, milt cuyler, gabe kapler, etc etc etc.

i have definitely not lost faith in tork but my expectations have been lowered.  every tigers prospect picked by the avila regime is suspect to me (except greene, i really like him).

that said, dont listen to me (not that you would), i dont follow the team like you guys do.  but it seems to my uneducated mind that i've seriously overrated the tigers' prospects for a while now.  fool me once, shame on you, fool me with ten beau burrows, shame on me.

you can be bitter and upset about miggy being on the team, but i dont see the point in getting upset because an all time great in his last season is supposedly preventing some average player or below average lottery ticket from getting at bats.

yes, i am old and crotchety and dont like "young people", why do you ask?

• Like 1

i remember stories about denny mcclain grooving a ball to an ancient mickey mantle who could barely hobble around the bases, much less play first base.  people still talk about it and write stories about it.  were people at the time clamoring for tony solaita or andy kosko and pissed the mick was blocking them?

i'll take the half chance of seeing miggy do something cool.  youre not going to tell your grandkids you saw willie castro hit a triple in a 6-2 loss in another meaningless september, but you might tell them about the time you saw the great cabrera hit one out just one last time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i remember stories about denny mcclain grooving a ball to an ancient mickey mantle who could barely hobble around the bases, much less play first base.  people still talk about it and write stories about it.  were people at the time clamoring for tony solaita or andy kosko and pissed the mick was blocking them?

Best part of that story is Joe Pepitone coming up after Mick and pointing out where he wanted the pitch and the pitch going right at his head and the entire Yankee bench laughing at him. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, buddha said:

i'll take the half chance of seeing miggy do something cool.  youre not going to tell your grandkids you saw willie castro hit a triple in a 6-2 loss in another meaningless september, but you might tell them about the time you saw the great cabrera hit one out just one last time.

I saw Miggy hit a HR last year and immediately got a little goose bumpy thinking "This could be his last HR here" or "I might have seen him hit the last HR in person".... things like that.

If the team were in contention and winning games mattered to get into the playoffs, then yes, you could argue it's better to put a less crappy guy in the lineup.  But he's not going to block anybody good with his at bats this season.

Miggy is the best position player many of us have ever see in a Tiger uniform.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oblong said:

I saw Miggy hit a HR last year and immediately got a little goose bumpy thinking "This could be his last HR here" or "I might have seen him hit the last HR in person".... things like that.

If the team were in contention and winning games mattered to get into the playoffs, then yes, you could argue it's better to put a less crappy guy in the lineup.  But he's not going to block anybody good with his at bats this season.

Miggy is the best position player many of us have ever see in a Tiger uniform.

here, here!  I'm also part of Team Miggy, for the reasons you list.  F the haters!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, buddha said:

you can be bitter and upset about miggy being on the team, but i dont see the point in getting upset because an all time great in his last season is supposedly preventing some average player or below average lottery ticket from getting at bats.

yes, i am old and crotchety and dont like "young people", why do you ask?

To be clear, I would prefer he just go out at this point. But there's no point in being bitter because he does have the contract and the new PBO has decided that he is willing to work with whatever constraints that come with carrying Miguel on the roster. As fans, that should be the beginning and end of it IMO....

Having said that, with this being his final season, I really hope he puts in the work over the offseason to try to maximize whatever he can bring to the team next year. It was really painful at times to watch him down the stretch last year and would like to see some magic one last time.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, buddha said:

I can see honoring him for the last couple years of his career, but Cabrera has been replacement level for SIX years.  Enough is enough.  Cabrera was the greatest Tigers hitter I have seen in my lifetime and there are a lot of great memories.  The last six years do not enhance that in any way.  If anything, they take away from the memories.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Miggy's not the first big star to play past his expiration date and he won't be the last. Willie McCovey, Stargell an a guy called Mays come to mind.

I don't know who he may be blocking at the moment, nut the team isn't going anywhere next year anyway. Let him have his farewell tour. And if the stars actually align he may surpass Paul Konerko numbers

I was piled on Twitter by a lot of the fanboy/fangirl for saying this last year, but an injury is the best case scenario for Cabrera.

I reject the notion that he isn't blocking anybody. There's an outfield glut building, and if things go well you need a spot in the lineup for Greene, Tork, Carpenter, Baddoo, and Meadows. If the player dev machine picks up and there is somebody OPS-ing 1000 in Toledo, it hurts to not be able to give that person a chance because you have a sub replacement every day DH standing in the way.

Oh yeah, the above happened with Carpenter this season, and he didn't get the chance until Cabrera was IL'ed.

Edited by Edman85
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2