2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, Useful Idiot said:

Javy Baez 2022

LOL "We've got to master the strike zone"...well, at least Harris has been paying attention, I'll give him credit for that.

Which...

Does NOT change the FACT that Baez put up 2.6 WAR in 2022. His career WAR? 25.9. It doesn't matter how many swings and misses you want to show, or how ridiculous he looks trying to hit those sliders... he provides value at a high level. A higher level than Neifi Perez could ever dream of. What a completely ridiculous comparison. More ridiculous than Baez swinging at a slider.

Neifi's CAREER WAR? 2.6.

Edited by 1984Echoes

12 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which...

Does NOT change the FACT that Baez put up 2.6 WAR in 2022.

Regrettable that WAR does not have a designated  slot on the  scoreboard?

Just think about how MUCH MORE  USEFUL El Mago could be if he'd learn a little plate discipline?  I mean it's only obvious to every pitcher that faces him,  down and away makes him your fool.

As for the Neifi Perez comparison..it was a metaphor. It's comical that you guys think you can dredge up some stat and turn my attention...it was a metaphor ferchrisakes.   

And Baez will continue to amuse me so long as he continues chasing those low ones, regardless of who's "hero" he might otherwise be.

Edited by Useful Idiot

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which...

A higher level than Neifi Perez could ever dream of. What a completely ridiculous comparison. More ridiculous than Baez swinging at a slider

Baez in 2022 also had an on base percentage 11 points lower than Victor Reyes, while committing a career high in errors, the total of which was 6 times higher than Neifi Perez committed during his entire tenure as a Tiger.

Know what that proves?   Any fool can cherry-pick stats  .   spacer.png

Edited by Useful Idiot
  • Haha 1

25 out of 25 baseball fans, experts, mavens, coaches, executives, owners, managers, accountants etc...would pick Javier Baez over Neifi Perez.  Is Javier Baez perfect?  By no means.  Is there empirical data that suggests he was the least of issues in 2021? also yes

Edited by Shinzaki
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m not sure what Baez would need to do to get the stink of 2022 off of him for a team to take on the remainder of his contract.  He’s ours, for better or worse.

The opt out possibility makes trading for him a bit trickier, too.  I don’t really see him, elsewhere  this season.  But who knows, maybe San Diego find themselves in a pinch for a SS?

• Haha 1

Keep Baez and wait for the turnaround that is coming in 2023. After which he will opt out and if he doesn't the 4/93 remaining will be reasonable.  Careful what you wish for. If one War equals 8 million then he only needs to add one war of production to last years numbers to meet his salary.Seems likely to me and he is an exciting player. I'm looking forward to watching him play in 2023 warts and all