2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The reason they're probably not going to play TORK! at third base is because he was terrible at it when they tried him there.

The suggestion wasn't to make him a regular 3b, but that it would have been a piece of the flexibility they would probably like to have to bring in another 1b/DH bat. The thing is Tork is only half of the equation though, Cabrera is the other half that pretty much leaves the option moot.

Just now, Tiger337 said:

Leave Torkelson at first base.  He needs to concentrate of learning to hit MLB pitching, not learning how to play 3B better.    

IDK, I suppose there may some guys too fragile (Castellanos?) but I have a hard time believing that in the main, a professional athlete is incapable of processing hitting and fielding instruction simulaneously.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

The suggestion wasn't to make him a regular 3b, but that it would have been a piece of the flexibility they would probably like to have to bring in another 1b/DH bat. The thing is Tork is only half of the equation though, Cabrera is the other half that pretty much leaves the option moot.

Distinct possibility that Tork might need to play at Toledo next season.

5 hours ago, casimir said:

Yeah, if 3B hadn't been shut down completely for Torkelson, I'd say go with he at 3B and Hosmer at 1B for next season.  If Torkelson plays well at 3B, that's a bonus going forward.  His future is based off of the bat, so if that fails, 3B or 1B doesn't matter.

The last time Cabrera was our 3rd baseman, he won the Triple Crown...just sayin'....🤣🤣

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Just as an aside...

Wasn't it 10 years $295 mill? I thought he was trying to keep under a $30 mill AAV if I remember correctly. 

My memory sucks though... but I thought it was $295 mill?

Maybe, but it doesn't matter. Either way, Correa was never taking the Tigers' offer, and the Tigers either knew that going in, or were too incompetent to realize it. Given the personnel of the time, it's 50-50 either way.

In any event, Correa's deal was not for not 2-something, but for 350. That's the amount he is guaranteed, so it's the only number that matters. AAV or not, he got all the money he wanted and then some. I think there's a good chance he won't even play the last couple or three years of the deal.

35 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It does happen. Taken together '21 and '22 could be taken to predict either that the Tigers will be terrible because 21 was all outliers, or they will bounce back big time because '22 was all outliers ---- or anything in between.                                                                                                            Skulbal might be back in June, might not be back at all, etc. But despite not being able to predict what our up and down holdover players do, we can hold Harris to a standard where more minor league players keep improving their skills (and TBF some of that did happen last season - Lipcius, Perez, Meadows, Keith, etc) and the trade moves made at MLB level actually do improve the overal future WAR in the org even if in small doses.

I do think, on the board, we probably do slightly underrate the possibility of a bounce back or much better offensive production than 2022. Austin Meadows is a great example... he was a complete non-entity last year and if he does come back and be productive, it's almost serves as a free agent signing of its own and would provide something the team didn't have at all last year.

Other individual players could play better than in 2022 as well, such as Schoop or Baddoo or others. Rogers could come in and produce as well. They could make a few signings, etc.

Really, what will make or break this team offensively (ie, whether they can hang around league average or end up much worse) will be Greene and Tork, and whether both of them really take that next step forward. I feel decent about Greene, Tork is harder to feel confident in.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

TORK! had never played third base before we drafted him. The very idea of him playing third was an Avila regime wishcast in the first place. He was so awful there that even the Avila people gave up on it despite they're having to brook the embarrassment it brought them.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

TORK! had never played third base before we drafted him. The very idea of him playing third was an Avila regime wishcast in the first place. He was so awful there that even the Avila people gave up on it despite they're having to brook the embarrassment it brought them.

true, but by the same token, virtually no player starts in the minors able to hit MLB pitching either. If you arrive there with no capability to get better, you are already toast.  It's a place to learn to get better - nothing wrong with trying to expand a guy's skillset.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

true, but by the same token, virtually no player starts in the minors able to hit MLB pitching either. If you arrive there with no capability to get better, you are already toast.  It's a place to learn to get better - nothing wrong with trying to expand a guy's skillset.

True. And they did try.

Edited by chasfh

5 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't think we NEED to trade away Soto or Lange or Eduardo...

However...

If it's "an offer we can't refuse", then I'm on board.

Oh sure, if there’s anything this team needs, it’s to keep that over 5.0 BB/9 from Soto.  That’s certainly a benefit to any bullpen.

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

Oh sure, if there’s anything this team needs, it’s to keep that over 5.0 BB/9 from Soto.  That’s certainly a benefit to any bullpen.

I don't mind trading one of Soto and Jimenez, but sending both out is probably inadvisable. I  want a deep BP on this team even if it's going to lose 100 games, just so Hinch has no excuse for over extending young starters.

5 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

The last time Cabrera was our 3rd baseman, he won the Triple Crown...just sayin'....🤣🤣

Put him there in spring training, he’ll be hurt before Opening Day, and then there’s a roster spot to play with.

Why do I have to come up with all of the good ideas?

• Haha 1

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

I don't mind trading one of Soto and Jimenez, but sending both out is probably inadvisable. I  want a deep BP on this team even if it's going to lose 100 games, just so Hinch has no excuse for over extending young starters.

I just don’t see the value in Soto.  A RP that erratic is worthless.

45 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

All Relievers are replaceable on a 100-loss team.  Sure, keep him if nobody offers anything of value, but they should certainly be listening to offers.  It's not like Soto is great.  He just has somehow gotten him self labeled as "proven closer".  

23 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

All Relievers are replaceable

after watching this team though most of the new century I'm unable to be sanguine about that. When you have guys that get outs, even if they make it too exciting it's easy to forget what it was like when you didn't. It's only been a short number of years from when the refrain "but there's no-one he could have brought in" was seen almost everyday here after a starter was left in well into a shelling.

I doubt there is much of a market for Soto. If we can get his walks down and find his slider then we can trade him for someone of value. I know captain obvious here but he lost 11 games last year and it was razor thin from being almost 20. Lots of his saves seemed to be like a Hitchcock thriller. Or maybe it just seems that way.  Yet a big lefty throwing 100 does seem tempting though 100 isn’t so rare these days.  If there is another deal similar to the Jimenez trade then I wouldn’t hesitate to make it.