2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

15 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I doubt there is much of a market for Soto. If we can get his walks down and find his slider then we can trade him for someone of value. I know captain obvious here but he lost 11 games last year and it was razor thin from being almost 20. Lots of his saves seemed to be like a Hitchcock thriller. Or maybe it just seems that way.  Yet a big lefty throwing 100 does seem tempting though 100 isn’t so rare these days.  If there is another deal similar to the Jimenez trade then I wouldn’t hesitate to make it. 

But Jiminez only had 1 year of team control. Soto should have more value because he's under team control for a couple/few years.

24 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But Jiminez only had 1 year of team control. Soto should have more value because he's under team control for a couple/few years.

Jimenez just had a better season than Soto.  I would also say he’s the better pitcher over their careers and would supply FIP, WHIP, BB/9, and SO/9 as the reasons.

Last year Joe was throwing a high quality, high spin fastball. I think his stuff was on a level with Soto's if not quite as dramatic to watch. Both guys have a track record of being erratic, Soto is under control for longer. Depending on which factors you like or believe in you could pick either of them as the better fpr success this year, but that only goes back to the question of whether dealing Jimenez was our choice or Atlanta's?

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Man, DFAing a player in the offseason with options remaining after offering arbitration, short of some legal mess or something precipitating it...

That's Roster Management Amateur Hour.

Have the Tigers and Soto exchanged numbers yet? I missed that. What are they offering Soto?

Edited by chasfh

8 hours ago, Toddwert said:

I guess I dont get all the Soto hate ...yeah he likes to walk batters and makes his appearences interesting  but whens the last time we had a closer who didnt do that?  he was 30 saves for 33 chances. I just think we have bigger problems then him

Even if he does have a knack for getting saves around his walks, what good is a closer if there are never any leads?  I say shop all relievers!

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting he be DFAed.  People have said to try to trade him.  If no one offers enough, then keep him.  

and again, what we don't know may be the difference in what the team does. We can see that last season Soto couldn't throw his slider for a strike. This is why he gave up so many walks but still managed a reasonable save success rate - he'd keep trying the slider, get behind, maybe walk a guy or two, then have to resort to all FBs and still get away with it because the FB is good. To me one interesting question is, was his problem mental or physical? For instance we don't know if he could spin that slider right on the corners in a bullpen but then froze up on it in games because of some confidence/psychological issue. If I'm a coach or GM, the difference between a guy needing the coaching to get his confidence up versus a guy being physically unable to so something and what his coaches thought they could do about either could make a difference in how I valued him.

Now this is all 100% hypothetical, I don't have a clue why Soto couldn't throw his slider last year - just noting how much information we may be missing compared to what the team sees. So as a fan you tend to give your team management the benefit of the doubt because of this kind of thing, until eventually too many decisions are proved to be wrong and your base assumption flips around to that they don't know WTF they are doing.....:classic_wink:

Edited by gehringer_2

34 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and again, what we don't know may be the difference in what the team does. We can see that last season Soto couldn't throw his slider for a strike. This is why he gave up so many walks but still managed a reasonable save success rate - he'd keep trying the slider, get behind, maybe walk a guy or two, then have to resort to all FBs and still get away with it because the FB is good. To me one interesting question is, was his problem mental or physical? For instance we don't know if he could spin that slider right on the corners in a bullpen but then froze up on it in games because of some confidence/psychological issue. If I'm a coach or GM, the difference between a guy needing the coaching to get his confidence up versus a guy being physically unable to so something and what his coaches thought they could do about either could make a difference in how I valued him.

Now this is all 100% hypothetical, I don't have a clue why Soto couldn't throw his slider last year - just noting how much information we may be missing compared to what the team sees. So as a fan you tend to give your team management the benefit of the doubt because of this kind of thing, until eventually too many decisions are proved to be wrong and your base assumption flips around to that they don't know WTF they are doing.....:classic_wink:

Soto’s lack of control goes beyond slider issues last season.  His history in the minors and majors is a 5 BB/9.  He’s just a wild pitcher.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not sure the dates line up. Spider tack was banned for the 21 season. Soto's slider was a plus pitch until '22.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/gregory-soto/19677/stats?position=P

Then perhaps not. 
I remember reading he said he knew what to do in the off season and major changes can’t take place during the season. Or something similar. But is that true ?

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

He was tendered a contract, thus offered arbitration.

How does it work to be tendered an actual contract, the signing of which I assume binds him, without being offered a specific salary? I’m interested in the technical aspect of that, because I would have assumed the contract comes after the terms have all been agreed to. Is it more a letter of intent that prevents him from seeking employment elsewhere before the arbitration process has been completed?