2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

My 2023 Detroit Tigers Goals 

-Bounce-back seasons for Baez, ERod, Meadows and Turnbull

-Greene and Tork make significant progress from their disastrous debuts.

-Skubal is able to pitch at some point.

-Manning and Wentz stay healthy all season and have productive seasons.

-Soto establishes some trade value and is dealt at the deadline for a good prospect(s).

-Malloy and Wenceel rake at Toledo and are called up at some point.

-Jake Rogers earns the majority of playing time at C.

-We find out what we have in Baddoo, Carpenter and Kreidler and are willing to move on depending on their performance (I’m not counting on any of them).

-Draft the best position player available with our 3rd pick.

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

The Tigers had everything go wrong last year and still won 66 games, so I don't think they'll lose 60

That's my point.

And they won 77 the year before when everything went right (including the glue, rubber bands, and paper clips that worked in 2021 but failed in 2022), and went out and brought in 3 higher level players (Eduardo/ Baez/ Meadows) that all under-performed each in their own way last year...

I think if they just fix their broken bats and arms and yes, '22 rookies,  (I believe not only Tork! but also Greene can do significantly better)... that they really aren't that far from hitting .500. '22 absolutely everything went wrong and they won 66... 

I'm going to stick to my usual optimism and state, even this early in the game, that we get those 81 wins.

When we read our New Year’s predictions from last year at dinner today I predicted that the Tigers would win at least 86 games in 2022. Out of my 12 predictions the only one I got right was predicting that Keith Richards would still be alive which is sort of like cheating because we all know he’s deathless. 

• Like 1

I like how GM's seem to be judged by the masses. In the offseason, it is how much payroll you add. During the season when games are actually being played, it's for signing those minor league free agents that busted out, or player development turning that role 40 player into a 3-4 win player. And, more and more, having that starting rotation stay healthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It's always been a big thing, but more so now.  You can never ever have too much starting pitching!

I'm thinking along the line of what the Tigers might be in the process of starting to do (if some of the recent hirings mean what they might) which would be a serious effort to develop a quantitative understanding of the drivers of pitching arm injuries. For a long time now there have been theories and speculations and various teams have had different approaches (more and less long toss etc, pitching per inning limits, per game limits, per yr limits) and of course Pedro famously pegged Mize for TJ for his inverted 'W',  but no-one has ever had much science or data to back it up. To me 'next big thing' means teams going down the path of finally footing the bill for working up some pitching health science

Edited by gehringer_2