2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

21 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t remember guys like Correa, Altuve, Springer or Bregman moving around much. Likely because they were good where they were.  I do think there is something to plugging holes with a lot of players to find out what is working, and agree that will happen this upcoming season.  Baez, Greene and Tork will likely not move around much, especially if they are performing. The rest of the starting lineup will be in flux.

Marwin Gonzalez and Jake Marisnick are who I am thinking of. Particularly Gonzalez, who would get 400+ ABs a season while not being tethered to any one position.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Defense is is a team effort, so it makes sense to have set positions,  I don't buy the idea that relievers need to have set roles or that batting orders need to stay the same. I think that's more ego than anything else.  

agree on relievers. Regardless of the inning or game situation it's the same batters with the same bats and you are going to get them out (or not!) the same way.

9 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I'm a big Akil Baddoo fan but Vierling seems like the perfect platoon for him. Good speed and defense with a much better arm. Both question marks for their offense which platooning might help.

I miss the days of platoons.  A 26-man roster and 13-pitcher limit might bring back some of that flexibility.  

43 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Who are the most notable missing from Motown Sports?

Benke and Yoda are the two that mostly pop up in my head...

Only because I attended a bowl game in the last week where my school was coached by Brian Brohm, there was a period in the mid-aughts where I got him confused with Brian Bluhm.

Yoda's still on Twitter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JackPine said:

What do you think is chaffin's asking price, 3/27? And what do you think he'll go for, 2/18? 

I would give Chafin his money...

Put one vet in the BP just to babysit the kids. And... Chafin is LH'ed, and GOOD, and limits walks/ controls the strike zone. He has to be the "perfect" guy to add to the BP at this point. 

Don't care about the money. Money's not an issue at all... and neither is the 2 OR 3 years.

One last point. He's a tradeable guy. If not this year (by Harris's choice, to keep him for his leadership), then next year (by... popular demand). For a decent haul I would think as well...

"Gy'ive thy'at man hees mon-ey."

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

I only vaguely remember omf and mattingly... I think they were not so active in later years?

But that's a good list:

JonBenke, Yoda, DaYooper, Shelton & Biggs were all pretty big contributors on Motown Sports...

I miss Cult of Pena—didn’t post a ton, but pretty witty and insightful when he did.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I doubt Chafin wants to be here—he doesn’t strike me as the type to opt-out as a ploy.  I don’t see him coming back.

That could be just a money ploy, and I wouldn't blame him for trying to cash in after a really nice year...

And if it's just money, give him the best offer and he'll come back to Detroit (IMO).

24 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

That could be just a money ploy, and I wouldn't blame him for trying to cash in after a really nice year...

And if it's just money, give him the best offer and he'll come back to Detroit (IMO).

That was my point—he doesn’t strike me as a guy who is angling for max value.  I think if he had wanted to stay, he would have—he could have always tried to negotiate an extension if getting paid was most important.  Kind of strikes me as the Bill Murray of baseball, who also famously doesn’t have an agent and just does what he wants to.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Marwin Gonzalez and Jake Marisnick are who I am thinking of. Particularly Gonzalez, who would get 400+ ABs a season while not being tethered to any one position.

A Gonzalez or Tony Phillips type of guy that can play 4 or 5 times a week at multiple positions is a nice player for any team to have on the roster.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I only vaguely remember omf and mattingly... I think they were not so active in later years?

But that's a good list:

JonBenke, Yoda, DaYooper, Shelton & Biggs were all pretty big contributors on Motown Sports...

Yooper and Shelton are in an OOTP league that all of the cool kids are in.   And me, too.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I doubt Chafin wants to be here—he doesn’t strike me as the type to opt-out as a ploy.  I don’t see him coming back.

Is Chafin a mentor type for younger pitchers?  He was a loose spirit and a fan favorite, but I’m not sure that’s necessarily the kind of veteran presence that leads a young bullpen.  Or maybe he could be, heck, what do I know?