2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I have wondered about the Trayce Thompson situation because the whole thing was just so weird.

Released by the Padres on May 14, signed by the worst-hitting-team-in-baseball Tigers on May 19, killing it in Toledo for a month (.299/.352/.639 in 25 games ) after killing it in El Paso (.316/.385/.860 in 16 games), and instead of being promoted to Detroit, gets sold by the worst-hitting-team-in-baseball Tigers to the Dodgers on June 20, for whom he goes on to crush it for the rest of the season (.268/.364/.537 in 70 games).

It makes zero sense. What gave with that?

He definitely overachieved—maybe something clicked at age 31.  I would expect someone at his age and experience to rake at AAA, so don’t think the Tigers can be faulted for letting him go.  I’m not upset he’s not in the org, unless he has some sort of sustained, JD-type of career renaissance.

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

He definitely overachieved—maybe something clicked at age 31.  I would expect someone at his age and experience to rake at AAA, so don’t think the Tigers can be faulted for letting him go.  I’m not upset he’s not in the org, unless he has some sort of sustained, JD-type of career renaissance.

I don't care that he's not in the organization now, but god damn, man, he could have helped at the time when no one else was doing squat, 31 or not.

25 minutes ago, alex said:

I posted this also at that time last year. I think sometimes too many people get caught up (including management personnel) in age and to not waste ABs on anyone over 29-30. Clearly he would of been an upgrade over some players that we did play in the OF - and were not part of the future. Hey, he is a RH hitting OF lol.

We needed to see more of Willi Castro in CF! lol

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Why bring this up on January 9th?  We’ve already moved on from the previous front office.    

Because I felt like replying to someone else's post about Trayce Thompson. I'll bring it again in the future if I feel like it, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, alex said:

Mystery Solved !  (Not!!) 🤣

However, I do wish WCastro (and all of the boys) well !

I'm not sure when it was the same time you discussed it, but I do recall discussing Trayce around the time of the Yankees series where Willi royally ****ed up that play in CF.

I wish Willi well, but after the raft of injuries in the outfield, it never made sense to me that he kinda just got carte blanche as an outfield piece on the team. To Harris' credit, I believe that he will be quicker to move to alternative options than the previous administration 

On 1/8/2023 at 4:22 PM, mtutiger said:

He apparently was good buddies with Vest iirc. Not sure about the others, but I suspect he's a good presence

Trade away from depth at RP to try to fill holes elsewhere on the roster.  Backfill the RP with free agent signings and/or internal promotions.  I like it.

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Agree.  Plus we have enough potential “failed starters” in the org that might be better suited to pitching 1-2 innings at a time.

yeah - if the theory is that relievers are the most unpredictable players, then there is potential profit in trading them for more predictable players at other positions and backfilling with the unknown as some of them will turn out to be unpredictably good. 

That's the theory anyway. Harris is arranging for us to find out if it holds.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

So the Tigers just weren't accident prone enough under DD?    😉

Yes.  It's no mystery that it followed him to Boston.  My point is you don't build a bullpen in January.  You acquire guys and let it play out in the spring and april and may.  Guys surprise you and evolve.

On 1/7/2023 at 9:03 PM, Tigermojo said:

Fangraphs projects:

RF Meadows

SS Baez

CF Greene

2B Schoop

DH Carpenter

C Haase

3B Maton

1B Torkelson

LF Baddoo

Sands, Cabrera, Nevin, Vierling

Rogers, Kreidler, Malloy at AAA

Shouldn't Meadows DH to keep him healthy? I think Miggy might get squeezed out sooner rather than later at this rate.

Best defensive alignment is probably Tork-1B, Baez-2B, Maton-SS, Schoop-3B, Vierling in right.

On 1/8/2023 at 1:23 PM, 1984Echoes said:

I only vaguely remember omf and mattingly... I think they were not so active in later years?

But that's a good list:

JonBenke, Yoda, DaYooper, Shelton & Biggs were all pretty big contributors on Motown Sports...

I remember the good old days, a poster would do play by play. I joined in 2005...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Best defensive alignment is probably Tork-1B, Baez-2B, Maton-SS, Schoop-3B, Vierling in right.

I know Vierling's arm plays in RF, but his speed is very well suited to LF in Comerica.  I can't even remember where Meadows plays--does he have the arm to play in RF?  

I like the idea of Maton at SS (or someone else for that matter), but I doubt Hinch moves Baez from there.  It's one thing, potentially, if you sign someone like Correa, but I doubt Javy would be super receptive to move for Nick Maton.