2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

With the exception of CF, it looks like all they're going to do is slap the yellow line on the wall at the new height. I'm not sure what else they could even do, except maybe adjust the pads down to wall height so that a ball has to clearly hit the concrete behind it to be a HR. If it's just the line, that will mean a marked increase in replay reviews for HR/no HR, along with the "placing of runners" shenanigans that comes along with that.

4 minutes ago, clark1mt said:

With the exception of CF, it looks like all they're going to do is slap the yellow line on the wall at the new height. I'm not sure what else they could even do, except maybe adjust the pads down to wall height so that a ball has to clearly hit the concrete behind it to be a HR. If it's just the line, that will mean a marked increase in replay reviews for HR/no HR, along with the "placing of runners" shenanigans that comes along with that.

Well that would be poor. I assumed they would actually lower it structurally. Should have figured they'd do it on the cheap!

A couple of points from the press release., (Slowest loading site in the world wide web, almost AOL dialup speed)

The foundation of the entire outfield wall will be reconstructed with material and padding that enhances player safety. 

One could assume they would rebuild the wall. But why start in the dead of winter?

I also found this interesting..

As part of the extensive research in planning these changes, highly accurate laser measurements were taken of the outfield wall. As a result, though the actual distance won’t change, the left field corner will be re-labeled from 345 to 342. The center field distance will be reduced 10 feet to 412, as the existing wall was measured at 422. 

So, we've been lied to for 20 plus years?

Edited by CMRivdogs

I would have just kept the Comerica dimensions the same. A smart GM can use somewhat unusual dimensions to his advantage in building a team and Harris has said something to that effect. The changes don't seem big enough to dramatically change results though, so it's probably not a big deal.  

18 minutes ago, clark1mt said:

I really don't like the yellow line thing.  

I like it because it seems to reserve status as still being a deep park but not to the extreme.  I still maintain that it affects the home team psychologically.  Visiting players not so much because they know they'll be in a new park in a few days. I think this will alleviate that.

9 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

A couple of points from the press release., (Slowest loading site in the world wide web, almost AOL dialup speed)

One could assume they would rebuild the wall. But why start in the dead of winter?

You were lied to for longer than that at old Tiger stadium. The CF fence there was only 420, not 440 as it was marked. CF hadn't been 440 since they moved the fence in front of the flag pole, which was maybe 35 yrs before it closed in 1999.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Well that would be poor. I assumed they would actually lower it structurally. Should have figured they'd do it on the cheap!

They could lower it structurally, but if they're planning on keeping the distances for RF and R-CF, then there's really no good way to do that short of pulling out the front row or two of seats which come down right to the vertical plane of the wall.

So what they could do is actually bring in the whole thing by a foot or two and fill it in with flowers or something like they do at Nationals Park or Target Field. That would also probably go towards the "player safety" thing that was mentioned above by building a wall with a bit more "give".

https://www.retrosheet.org/ballparks/NatsParkFeatures.htm

18 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

You've been lied to your whole life.  The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can move forward.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

You were lied to for longer than that at old Tiger stadium. The CF fence there was only 420, not 440 as it was marked. CF hadn't been 440 since they moved the fence in front of the flag pole, which was maybe 35 yrs before it closed in 1999.

We didn't move to Detroit until late 2000. Until then I pretty much followed the National League mostly due to regional connections. 

I hope they make it visually appealing, the thought of keeping the RCF wall the same as it is now but just slapping a yellow line half way up it is not what I have in mind when it comes to appearance. Same with CF, I guess it's only an 8ft difference so it may not be that noticeable but I hope they put some shrubbery or something there instead of just having a gap from the wall to where the shrubs and fountains are at now.  

27 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I'm old now. My new motto has been never trust anyone under 90

I just turned 58.   All I can say is that most of everything is bullshit, but what the hell, I know this now, so I am not gonna let it break my stride.     

I just wanted to find a way, any way, to reference Matthew Wilder on this board and now my work is done. 

• Like 1