2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I wonder if Ausmus might not make a decent GM

If I had to guess he'd be good at everything execpt making trades - and that just because his up tight personality might make make him a poor negotiator -- but IDK. He seemed like a decent guy - just wasn't cut out for the job when he was here.

27 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I wonder if Ausmus might not make a decent GM. Obviously he wasn't a great manager, but GM is obviously a very different position to that of the guy on the field.  He was always supposed to have good baseball smarts, what's he?  Maybe it just didn't translate well on the field.

That said I don't think he has real extensive experience in the front office.  I'd be a little reluctant to hand him the keys with out more of a track record.

According to wikipedia:
2011-2013: "field executive" for Padres
2018: Special Assistant to general manager for the Angels

Maybe? 

I think the bigger thing is that taking his managerial career along with comparing his front office experience to Dana Brown, it just makes it an incredibly easy decision (and one they ultimately made the right decision on)

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Almost would have rather seen Meadows Jr. get an invite lol

Parker? He's on the 40 man and doesn't need one.

I don't mind the Davis signing. In terms of controlling the zone, he does that. Similar to Vierling, a right handed counterpart to the Meadows/Baddoo/Carpenter crew at least is a complement.

I noticed Andy Ibanez on Team Cuba for the WBC. So he will be out of camp from roughly March 1 until Cuba is done.

Should be plenty of infield/dh at bats to go around, assuming Baez, Schoop, and Cabrera are playing as well.

Cuba and Netherlands (Schoop) are in the pool in Taiwan (Please call it Taiwan. Chinese Taipei nomenclature is Chinese propaganda), so that is a bit of extra travel time/adjustment.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I noticed Andy Ibanez on Team Cuba for the WBC. So he will be out of camp from roughly March 1 until Cuba is done.

Should be plenty of infield/dh at bats to go around, assuming Baez, Schoop, and Cabrera are playing as well.

Cuba and Netherlands (Schoop) are in the pool in Taiwan (Please call it Taiwan. Chinese Taipei nomenclature is Chinese propaganda), so that is a bit of extra travel time/adjustment.

Hope Schoop got his Taiwan 🇹🇼 visa in time. Or should I say Formosa since he his playing for the Netherlands and the Dutch were the first western explorers to land there and called it Formosa which means Beautiful Island 🏝 which it is indeed. 

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Someone is all in a dither and is clutching his pearls about the new direction ...

Interestingly, the tease on McCosky's Google page reads in a rather more alarmist manner than the actual tweet does, although the article does run along the same alarmist lines as this:

image.png.431643bca9c95b81dec74499e4851125.png

I wonder what the technical reason is behind that?

Edited by chasfh

Re:McCosky story:

You notice that the success he pointed to was Fulmer - a pitcher. It's a whole different mental approach for a pitcher than a hitter. A pitcher is an initiator. He controls the action - he has time to deliberate - to bring his thoughts about what he wants to do to some kind of closure, then make his pitch. Hitting is purely reactive, once a pitch is coming you have to be 100% on pure reaction and the 'mental/muscle memory' of what your body knows how to do. Any thought process a hitter attemps once a pitch is released dooms him. Hitters are going to be far more affected by potential mental overloading than pitchers and if teams don't recognize that difference and tailor their approach for hitting and pitching differently, they are going to fail.

Edited by gehringer_2