NL Central - Chicago, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Milwaukee,

NL South - Atlanta, Charlotte,  Miami, Washington

NL West - Arizona, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco 

18 vs. your own division = 54
6 vs. your league teams  = 72
6 vs. Interleague Buddy Team =  6
6 games vs. 5 Other Interleague Teams (rotation every 3 years) = 30

Total = 162

Playoffs.   All division winners and two wild cards.   Best two records get a bye week. 

Wild Card Round - Best of 3.   
Divisional Round - Best of 5    
League Championship - Best of 7  
World Series - Best of 7            

Interleague Buddy System,  A home and home series ever year for...........

Baltimore - Washington
Boston - Philadelphia 
NY Yankees - NY Mets  
Toronto - Montreal 

White Sox - Cubs    
Cleveland - Cincinnati
Detroit - Pittsburgh
Minnesota - Milwaukee   

Houston - Miami  
Kansas City - St. Louis
Nashville - Charlotte
Texas - Atlanta

Colorado - Arizona
Las Vegas - San Francisco
Angels - Dodgers
Seattle - San Diego

10 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I have better ones:

National League:

Frigidaire Division

Cubs, White Sox, Brewers, Twins

Border Patrol Division

San Diego, Arizona, Houston, Texas

California Dreamin' Division

Dodgers, A's, Giants, Angels (guess which state...?)

Grunge (or Grody, or Nirvana) Division

Mariners, Rockies, Royals, Cardinals

American League:

Patriots Division

Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Phillies

In or Near Canada Division

Tigers, Guardians, Blue Jays, Reds

Appalachia EW Division

Pirates, Orioles, Nationals, Nashville (expansion team)

Hurricane Alley Division

Marlins, Rays, Braves, Charlotte (expansion team)

Sorry, better divisions would involve 8 team divisions.

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I want eight-team divisions.  Make the division titles mean something.  There are going to be a million wildcards anyway, so they don't have to pretend small divisions make it more competitive.  

Yes, agree.  I think the risk with fewer teams per division is having a team with a losing record win a division.  It happens in football every couple of seasons and it just seems ridiculous to reward a losing record with a playoff berth.

I think Bowden's 8 division setup can easily be condensed to a 4 team setup by combining his divisions together.  He has them set up well geographically.

LAA, LAD, SD, SF, OAK, SEA, AZ, CO

HOU, TX, KC, SL, CHC, CWS, MN, (MIL)

That's an easy two divisions in the west to set up.  I have Milwaukee in parentheses because they could move to the east divisions if an expansion team happens to be placed somewhere in the west.  Maybe that means Colorado moves out of the Pacific time zone based division to the more Mountain/Central based one.

NYY, NYM, BOS, PHI, WAS, BAL, PIT, (Charlotte)

DET, CLE, CIN, TOR, TB, MIA, ATL, (Nashville)

There's probably some give and take with the two eastern based divisions.  Nashville seems like the top of the expansion picks right now.  Charlotte seems to be have been up there for a while.  I wouldn't think MLB would want the two expansion teams in the same division.  Maybe there is some sincerity to returning to Montreal, but that's probably debatable.  That might create a desire to place Toronto and Montreal together.

Expansion seems like nothing more than pure speculation.  MLB needs to wait for the Athletics and Rays to get their stadium situations figured out.  I wouldn't be surprised to see geographical realignment, but it might be easier for MLB to implement that with expansion.

7 hours ago, casimir said:

Yes, agree.  I think the risk with fewer teams per division is having a team with a losing record win a division.  It happens in football every couple of seasons and it just seems ridiculous to reward a losing record with a playoff berth.

I think Bowden's 8 division setup can easily be condensed to a 4 team setup by combining his divisions together.  He has them set up well geographically.

LAA, LAD, SD, SF, OAK, SEA, AZ, CO

HOU, TX, KC, SL, CHC, CWS, MN, (MIL)

That's an easy two divisions in the west to set up.  I have Milwaukee in parentheses because they could move to the east divisions if an expansion team happens to be placed somewhere in the west.  Maybe that means Colorado moves out of the Pacific time zone based division to the more Mountain/Central based one.

NYY, NYM, BOS, PHI, WAS, BAL, PIT, (Charlotte)

DET, CLE, CIN, TOR, TB, MIA, ATL, (Nashville)

There's probably some give and take with the two eastern based divisions.  Nashville seems like the top of the expansion picks right now.  Charlotte seems to be have been up there for a while.  I wouldn't think MLB would want the two expansion teams in the same division.  Maybe there is some sincerity to returning to Montreal, but that's probably debatable.  That might create a desire to place Toronto and Montreal together.

Expansion seems like nothing more than pure speculation.  MLB needs to wait for the Athletics and Rays to get their stadium situations figured out.  I wouldn't be surprised to see geographical realignment, but it might be easier for MLB to implement that with expansion.

Four-team divisions are not all bad though.  When the Tigers win their division in 2027 with an 83-79 record, we'll all be strutting around like we're something special and getting a feeling of immense pride when they put up the AL Central champions banner in Comerica.  

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Four-team divisions are not all bad though.  When the Tigers win their division in 2027 with an 83-79 record, we'll all be strutting around like we're something special and getting a feeling of immense pride when they put up the AL Central champions banner in Comerica.  

Thankfully they haven't gone the division championship banner route.

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Said everything is going well but won't give a timetable on a return. It does sound like he plans to be return sometime this year but thats something that I think people were expecting anyway. 

Is it? Given how Matthew Boyd went with the same surgery, I've had my expectations tempered on any return prior to at least September.

33 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Is it? Given how Matthew Boyd went with the same surgery, I've had my expectations tempered on any return prior to at least September.

I thought it was but maybe that was just me. I thought the consensus at the time was that he'd be back sometime by the break. 

In the article it says "what would you to say to somebody that said you were going to miss the entire year?" to which Skubal replied "Id call that person a liar."

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Beck with his starting line-up forecasts has Baddoo competing for platoon time in *right* field. That would be daylight madness with his arm.

Just because Meadows played left for the Rays doesn't mean he should be playing at CoPa. He should probably be DH most of the time. I think Baddoo/Vierling LF, Meadows/Cabrera DH and Carpenter/ Meadows RF makes the most sense. I know Hinch will mix and match a lot more than that though.

5 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Just because Meadows played left for the Rays doesn't mean he should be playing at CoPa. He should probably be DH most of the time. I think Baddoo/Vierling LF, Meadows/Cabrera DH and Carpenter/ Meadows RF makes the most sense. I know Hinch will mix and match a lot more than that though.

Roster wise, I'm not sure they have the flexibility to carry both Baddoo and Carpenter at the same time, which complicates matters some. Hypothetically:

C Haase

1B Torkelson

2B Schoop

SS Baez

3B Maton

LF Meadows

CF Greene

RF Baddoo

DH Cabrera

BENCH

C Sands or Rogers

IF Nevin or Hernandez

OF Vierling

That's 13, and Vierling seems like a lock given the fact that he bats right handed in an outfield full of lefties. 

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Roster wise, I'm not sure they have the flexibility to carry both Baddoo and Carpenter at the same time, which complicates matters some. Hypothetically:

C Haase

1B Torkelson

2B Schoop

SS Baez

3B Maton

LF Meadows

CF Greene

RF Baddoo

DH Cabrera

BENCH

C Sands or Rogers

IF Nevin or Hernandez

OF Vierling

That's 13, and Vierling seems like a lock given the fact that he bats right handed in an outfield full of lefties. 

That's 12

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

/...sigh.../ The board is already too resigned to another disaster season.

However, It won't be premature if he stays on schedule.

I don't know.  The past few seasons have really not been kind to Tiger pitching health.  They did make a significant hire this offseason which, sure, it'd be nice to assume that this won't be an ongoing issue.  But I'm cautious with pitchers in general and I'm not sure the Tigers are so deep in players to risk bringing anyone back ahead of schedule.