2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

3 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Based on his sudden drop in velocity and K's, and his age, and his recent history, and his general inability to stay on the field even before 2022, I'd say for worse.

The other guys are right—it isn’t $60 million, it’s $49 million.

Otherwise, this. His ability to get whiffs took a dramatic drop. This is a tough era to morph into a pitch-to-contact guy, and he ain’t getting any younger.

Not that this applies to ERod, since he's not a very effective PTC guy, but the modest positive pitch-to-contact movement in the MLB towards sinkers and away from sliders (which I assume would be marginally better on pitcher's arms) in 2021 - 2022 is going to take a beating in 2023 with the banning of the shift.

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The other guys are right—it isn’t $60 million, it’s $49 million.

Otherwise, this. His ability to get whiffs took a dramatic drop. This is a tough era to morph into a pitch-to-contact guy, and he ain’t getting any younger.

No argument that loss of FB velo is always a big red flag. Whether we want to take any solace in  the fact that his best fastball velo - which was even poorer on his return, was trending slightly upward  through the end of the season remains another one of those open questions.

image.png.c488f2c1a45eadd2febba38d7e63ddf6.png

Edited by gehringer_2

About the only positive thing Eduardo has maintained is the ability to induce soft contact, and even that devolved from elite level to merely above average. Practically everything else on the Savant card is blue. It’s a bad sign, but I suppose that in the spirit of “anything is possible” … 🤞

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/10/dipoto-mariners-to-pursue-shortstops-willing-to-play-second-base.html

Perhaps Harris should have a conversation with DiPoto about a SS who might be better suited for 2B.  I don't know what Seattle might have that the Tigers would be interested in

Pass on selling low on Baez.

Selling low is part of what wrecked our system in the first place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/10/dipoto-mariners-to-pursue-shortstops-willing-to-play-second-base.html

Perhaps Harris should have a conversation with DiPoto about a SS who might be better suited for 2B.  I don't know what Seattle might have that the Tigers would be interested in

Sounds like another contestant in the Correa sweepstakes 

4 minutes ago, KL2 said:

They're payroll is gonna blow past this year with just filling the roster out. Not sure they are gonna surpass 200 million. 

If they need to unload a salary, the Tigers could take on that Rodriguez contract.  Of course, it depends upon the prospects that the Mariners would attach to the deal, too.

22 minutes ago, casimir said:

If they need to unload a salary, the Tigers could take on that Rodriguez contract.  Of course, it depends upon the prospects that the Mariners would attach to the deal, too.

I like to aim lower. Their third baseman and backup catcher seem OK. Maybe we could add them. Anyone know who they are. Did we give them away for nothing? 

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

link to Tiger only chat; basically rehash of what we geniuses already discuss here

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/10/offseason-chat-detroit-tigers.html

The comments about veterans on short term deals largely fits where I would expect them to go this offseason.

In general, philosophically it lines up with what the Giants would have done and his mantra about wanting Detroit to be a place where players come to get better (although coaching / analytics need to be upgraded to ever make that a selling point)

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

If you think he's going to add big ticket free agents, I think you'll be disappointed. He said he was going to focus on adding young talent, and I believe that's what he will do.

In his sit down with Dickerson, he pretty much talked about all the same kinds of things Avila used to - building a productive organization from the inside out. So I get the idea that that part is coming from Ilitch, which would make sense as that is what he says in public as well. So that would lead one to believe that the big part of the early effort is going to be organizational overhaul and that if a big signing comes it will have to be more a matter of luck than the focus of immediate strategy.

4 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

link to Tiger only chat; basically rehash of what we geniuses already discuss here

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/10/offseason-chat-detroit-tigers.html

Suggestions for Hunter Renfroe and Trey Mancini.  Renfroe has been mentioned here before.

Another suggestion to bring back Barnhart.  Washington Tennessee Florida, man.