2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

I'm encouraged to hear Harris say he's open to trading prospects--this is what a team in our situation should be looking at to accelerate our road to respectability.  The period where we were dealing veterans went poorly--while that could be blamed on Avila, I think the rule that the team who gets the best player almost always wins the trade is valid.

Given the fragility of young pitchers, I'd rather we look to move guys like Madden and Flores to try and get some lineup mainstays (i.e, the aforementioned Danny Jansen).  Heck, even Jobe in the right deal.

Instead of receiving Daz Cameron's and Isaac Paredes', let's move our equivalents to get players with a track record.

27 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

https://motorcitybengals.com/2022/11/08/rumor-blue-jays-looking-to-trade-catcher-could-detroit-tigers-be-a-suitor/

I definitely see a fit here, possibly long term with Jansen behind the plate. Tigers would have to trade either Soto (preferred) or Jiminez plus a decent prospect like Wenceel to get this done.

it is probably not realistic, but what about Moreno instead? Jays need to make some trades and sign some free agents to keep pace in AL East. They are weighed down by $40M in contracts to Ryu (out for much of 2023 after TJ) and Kikuchi (awful).

Not sure if Harris was with SF when they did this NBA style trade, flipping PTBNL for prospect WIll Wilson from the LAA for taking Cozart's bad contract

So Lange and Soto for Moreno and Kikuchi.

11 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I'm encouraged to hear Harris say he's open to trading prospects--this is what a team in our situation should be looking at to accelerate our road to respectability.  The period where we were dealing veterans went poorly--while that could be blamed on Avila, I think the rule that the team who gets the best player almost always wins the trade is valid.

Given the fragility of young pitchers, I'd rather we look to move guys like Madden and Flores to try and get some lineup mainstays (i.e, the aforementioned Danny Jansen).  Heck, even Jobe in the right deal.

Instead of receiving Daz Cameron's and Isaac Paredes', let's move our equivalents to get players with a track record.

Why move the two pitchers with the best stuff in the system? Makes no sense to me. Those are guys  we need more of.

1 minute ago, RatkoVarda said:

it is probably not realistic, but what about Moreno instead? Jays need to make some trades and sign some free agents to keep pace in AL East. They are weighed down by $40M in contracts to Ryu (out for much of 2023 after TJ) and Kikuchi (awful).

Not sure if Harris was with SF when they did this NBA style trade, flipping PTBNL for prospect WIll Wilson from the LAA for taking Cozart's bad contract

So Lange and Soto for Moreno and Kikuchi.

Moreno is not going to be traded. Would have to give up Riley in that deal, which is a non-starter for me.

6 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Why move the two pitchers with the best stuff in the system? Makes no sense to me. Those are guys  we need more of.

For starters cause pitchers are ticking time bombs for another is that you have to give something of value to get something. Sure it would be nice to trade all our mediocre 40 grade prospects for a proven commodity but that's not realistic. To get a good to great young veteran its going to take a premium prospect.

• Thanks 1

You couldve legit handed somebody that knew nothing about baseball the list of players in each teams system that was available to us in each trade, then told them to randomly pick names from that list and I can almost guarantee we wouldve ended up getting a better return on the trades than Avila got. 

• Haha 1

This is off topic.  I tried to find a general thread to put it in but couldn't find one. Simple question. I'm using this for my class as school.  Question; what is the diameter of the cork in the center of a baseball?  I have searched, but can't find that information, and I don't have one to cut apart.  Thanks in advance.

32 minutes ago, Screwball said:

This is off topic.  I tried to find a general thread to put it in but couldn't find one. Simple question. I'm using this for my class as school.  Question; what is the diameter of the cork in the center of a baseball?  I have searched, but can't find that information, and I don't have one to cut apart.  Thanks in advance.

check this out SB, looks like has a description in detail:

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-1/Baseball.html#:~:text=An official Major League baseball,the course of a season.

I don't know who runs this site or if they know what they are talking about but they seem to think they do...

The pill consists of a sphere, measuring 13/16 of an inch (2.06 centimeters) in diameter, made of a cork and rubber composition material. This sphere is encased in two layers of rubber, a black inner layer and a red outer layer. The inner layer is made up of two hemispheric shells of black rubber that are joined by red rubber washers. The entire pill measures 4-⅛ inches (10.47 centimeters) in circumference.

Read more: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-1/Baseball.html#ixzz7kCSCAjb1

41 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

check this out SB, looks like has a description in detail:

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-1/Baseball.html#:~:text=An official Major League baseball,the course of a season.

I don't know who runs this site or if they know what they are talking about but they seem to think they do...

The math check out.  Thanks.

BASEBALL.JPG.c0bb4d3b70538904df7a9356feddcb17.JPG

14 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

Cruzer you know your stuff... Yet, the problem with Ps is that they are IMHO 'very' volatile. Gone are the days of 3 (even 2) SPs pitching with 200 innings (maybe even 175) on a staff.

Not long ago Boyd, Fullmer and Norris were envisioned to create a strong front 3 of the Tiger SP staff... Just recentley Mize, Skubal and Manning... You get the idea, and this goes for all teams.

Of course this goes for position players as well (but maybe not to that extent because of injuries) - but if there is a chance to get an elite position prospect or two they might wish to consider it... I remember AA saying at one time other teams were calling on Boyd, Fullmer and Norris and he called them 'Gold'  - perhaps calling a trio of SPs untouchable is more 'Fool's Gold' ?

15 minutes ago, alex said:

I remember AA saying at one time other teams were calling on Boyd, Fullmer and Norris and he called them 'Gold'  - perhaps calling a trio of SPs untouchable is more 'Fool's Gold' ?

“These are the new front three of our rotation. These are Boyd, Fulmer, and Norris. To you, these are gold; you do not get these. Because to trade them to you would be throwing them away. Unless you give me Gleyber Torres, Alex Bergman, Javier Baez, Mike Trout, Yordan Alvarez, Joe Mixon, Giannis Antepekepekepestanstan, and the #1 line of the Tampa Bay Lightning.”

image.jpeg.b97c4857cd8c4fdade09b58edc0f8d81.jpeg

Edited by chasfh

12 minutes ago, alex said:

Cruzer you know your stuff... Yet, the problem with Ps is that they are IMHO 'very' volatile. Gone are the days of 3 (even 2) SPs pitching with 200 innings (maybe even 175) on a staff.

Not long ago Boyd, Fullmer and Norris were envisioned to create a strong front 3 of the Tiger SP staff... Just recentley Mize, Skubal and Manning... You get the idea, and this goes for all teams.

Of course this goes for position players as well (but maybe not to that extent because of injuries) - but if there is a chance to get an elite position prospect or two they might wish to consider it... I remember AA saying at one time other teams were calling on Boyd, Fullmer and Norris and he called them 'Gold'  - perhaps calling a trio of SPs untouchable is more 'Fool's Gold' ?

Pitching IS volatile, on the other hand, you gotta have it and to have it, you have to gamble on it.

38 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Pitching IS volatile, on the other hand, you gotta have it and to have it, you have to gamble on it.

Agreed, you have to have it (pitching). I was thinking more along the lines 'if' a premium position prospect is available, and you have several P prospects, it might be an idea to package 'one' of them if that prospect is obtainable.

In the end (another big inning :), all is a gamble. All any exec can do is to be open minded, have a strong staff behind them (data, analytics, eyeball test, history, etc.) and hope the dice rolls (and BB gods) favor your actions - more often that not 😉 😕 🌌

1 hour ago, alex said:

Thank you, you are correct, they are volatile. That's why you need to have outstanding pitching depth, especially in the minors. The Tigers right now have decent pitching depth, but it needs to improve. If the Tigers trade pitchers, they will probably trade someone on the major league roster who is arbitration eligible or close to it. That usually works out well for the parent club, it gives them roster flexibility and payroll flexibility.

Edited by Cruzer1

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

I think we are moving past the era in which pitching is a gamble. I'm pretty sure what the Houston Astros and Los Angeles Dodgers are doing with their pitching is not gambling.

11 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Harris I hope will be heartless when it comes to trades and releases.

Daz and Perez were kept around in a desperate attempt to move the JV trade from an F- to a solid F.

Early on I had checked in a couple of times on what F. Perez was doing in rookie league and it didn't look like much but I lost track. I assume in the end he showed nothing otherwise we probably would have heard about it. It was nice he could finally throw again but he needed to show something more than just health at this point.