2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think we are moving past the era in which pitching is a gamble. I'm pretty sure what the Houston Astros and Los Angeles Dodgers are doing with their pitching is not gambling.

Pitcher health will always be a very noisy variable to try to get a handle on, but the smell test certainly argues the Tigers have actually have been doing something wrong in the last few years. I hope that is the exact thinking behind bringing a PH.D kinesiologist on board.

I've long wondered about the risk that the current ability to completely characterize pitch physics could easily lead to pitchers being taught how to spin the ball more than their physiology can actually support. Or the short version - maybe Fetter has been too good at his job.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Pitcher health will always be a very noisy variable to try to get a handle on, but the smell test certainly argues the Tigers have actually have been doing something wrong in the last few years. I hope that is the exact thinking behind bringing a PH.D kinesiologist on board.

Gambling on pitchers—and position players—is what we are used to seeing. Basically every trade Al Avila made was a gamble, mainly on athleticism. Draft an athlete and make him into a ballplayer. That's fine in 1997. In 2017, that's asinine. I will expect a lot a lot less gambling out of Scott Harris.

Money is obviously number 1 but he has specifically stated that 300 wins is important to him so I think that is going to be a huge factor on where he goes. 

As others have brought up here he may just take 1 year contracts from here on out so he can pick wherever he wants to play each year.

It would be a risk potentially leaving money on the table by turning down a multi year deal but between the fortune he has already made and his self confidence I think that is the route he is going to go. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Draft an athlete and make him into a ballplayer. 

I don't know if I necessarily agree with the characterization of Tiger drafts in general, but I absolutely agree that atheticism is close to zero indication of whether a player is going to be able to hit. The minors are littered with great athletes that can't hit and the majors are full of great hitters who can barely hold down their defensive responsibilities or are DH's before they are 28. And Micheal Jordan says 'Hi' BTW.

Edited by gehringer_2

19 hours ago, ben9753 said:

Had two of the greatest pitchers of the generation leave at the height of their abilities and got basically nothing. 

Didn't think any FO would ever match the 60's Mets for losing a potential dynasty in pitching (Seaver, Ryan), but the Tigers did it.

Edited by gehringer_2

A lot of talk, understandably, about sourcing player upgrades through trades and free agency.  I’m also interested, though, in what Harris is going to implement to improve player development in both the minors and big league level.  When you think of guys like Santana, Pacheco, Keith, Campos, Meadows, etc., can we see some of them take big strides and unlock some of their potential?  Will he be making outside hires to address this?

8 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

A lot of talk, understandably, about sourcing player upgrades through trades and free agency.  I’m also interested, though, in what Harris is going to implement to improve player development in both the minors and big league level.  When you think of guys like Santana, Pacheco, Keith, Campos, Meadows, etc., can we see some of them take big strides and unlock some of their potential?  Will he be making outside hires to address this?

I would set Keith aside from the rest. He's pretty safe because of his approach and power, and ability to hit.

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Was thinking more along the lines of his defense, once they settle on a position for him.

He played 13 games at 2b, and 27 games at third. I think you'll see just about every prospect for the Tigers get cross trained at more than one position from now on.

15 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

He played 13 games at 2b, and 27 games at third. I think you'll see just about every prospect for the Tigers get cross trained at more than one position from now on.

Probably.  Just want them to be at least capable wherever they are playing.  I suspect he’ll spend more time at 3B, given the organizational need.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

He's opting out because he sees it as his duty to maximize his value for everyone else.  He comes from a union family. that's important to him.

I expect him to stay in Houston or sign with LA.

I hope he signs with the Yankees so I don’t feel like I’m supposed to root for him anymore. 😏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know if I necessarily agree with the characterization of Tiger drafts in general, but I absolutely agree that atheticism is close to zero indication of whether a player is going to be able to hit. The minors are littered with great athletes that can't hit and the majors are full of great hitters who can barely hold down their defensive responsibilities or are DH's before they are 28. And Micheal Jordan says 'Hi' BTW.

I don’t mean just the drafts. We were talking about trades, so I also mean the trades, as well as AFA signings and Rule 5 drafts. Anything in which acquiring prospects is concerned. I just said “draft” as a catch-all for player acquisition. And Avila is on record as valuing athleticism at the top of the Verlander trade statement.