2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

8 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

Any interest in Josh Bell? I would really like to see the Tigers sign Jose Abreu away from the White Sox, however I believe Abreu’s contract demands could be very pricey for Scott Harris.

Neither seem like a fit despite their offense being welcomed.  I think its reasonable to assume both Bell and Abreu are going to get multiseason deals.  Torkelson is the 1Bman of the future.  They have Cabrera on the books next season as the DH, although its highly questionable how much he plays.  So, 1B & DH are probably kind of filled for next season unless Harris has Torkelson at Toledo to start the season and/or he's ready to move on from Cabrera.

Now, who knows, maybe Harris decides to strip the place down to the foundation and completely overhaul things.  Maybe he has no problem writing off Cabrera's contract and he can convince Ilitch of it.  Harris has no prior allegiance to Cabrera, so that's possible if not likely.  Maybe he thinks he can move Torkelson's prospect status to another team that isn't shaken by a poor rookie campaign.  Seems highly doubtful, but you never know.

Here's what we know about Harris.  We know what he's said in his pressers, we know what team's he's been associated with and what those teams did.  We don't know how much of that translates exactly into what he sees and what he can accomplish this offseason.  The unknown is a major factor for the Tigers this offseason, and I think that makes things pretty interesting.

Now maybe this offseason becomes less about player acquisition and more about getting the front office, specifically evaluation and development systems, into what he wants it to be.  There have been some of those moves already.  So, that might make for what fans consider a lackluster offseason, but I don't think it would necessarily be a wasted offseason.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, casimir said:

Now maybe this offseason becomes less about player acquisition and more about getting the front office, specifically evaluation and development systems, into what he wants it to be.  There have been some of those moves already.  So, that might make for what fans consider a lackluster offseason, but I don't think it would necessarily be a wasted offseason.

While this seems like a reasonable approach, I'm going to guess (though it's only that)  that ownership is pushing for results on the field because the "trust me, we are fixing the machine but it's not really going to be working until the day after tomorrow" was more or less what we got from Avila for the last 5 yrs, and it did finally get Al fired.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, casimir said:

Neither seem like a fit despite their offense being welcomed.  I think its reasonable to assume both Bell and Abreu are going to get multiseason deals.  Torkelson is the 1Bman of the future.  They have Cabrera on the books next season as the DH, although its highly questionable how much he plays.  So, 1B & DH are probably kind of filled for next season unless Harris has Torkelson at Toledo to start the season and/or he's ready to move on from Cabrera.

Now, who knows, maybe Harris decides to strip the place down to the foundation and completely overhaul things.  Maybe he has no problem writing off Cabrera's contract and he can convince Ilitch of it.  Harris has no prior allegiance to Cabrera, so that's possible if not likely.  Maybe he thinks he can move Torkelson's prospect status to another team that isn't shaken by a poor rookie campaign.  Seems highly doubtful, but you never know.

Here's what we know about Harris.  We know what he's said in his pressers, we know what team's he's been associated with and what those teams did.  We don't know how much of that translates exactly into what he sees and what he can accomplish this offseason.  The unknown is a major factor for the Tigers this offseason, and I think that makes things pretty interesting.

What Harris has repeatedly stressed is that his focus will be on accumulating young talent and development. This wouldn't preclude prime contracts to aging players on the downside of their careers, but I doubt it. I think he will look for ascending players, player who could rebound from injury or poor performance, or players he could flip.

15 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I could see Powers as Tigers GM—would be a promotion.

People wondering who the add to protect from Rule 5 from Reese Olson, Austin Bergner, Wenceel Perez, Parker Meadows and Andre Lipcius.   Like they don't have 5 cuts they can make.  Lemme give you 5 names -  Willi Castro, Zach Short, Brendon Davis, Mike Papierski and Sean Guenther.     There you go.  You could probably get most of them back with minor league contracts.   Plus they don't have to keep Andy Ibanez or Kody Clemens.    Wouldn't be shocked if they just cut Kyle Funkhouser too.  

When you win 66 games, cuts like this shouldn't be very difficult.  

What are we trading for Danny Jansen, anyway?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Hey, Miguel, you look like your back hurts.  Want a 60 day rest? 

With free agency just beginning it seems relievers might be the hot commodity and it makes sense if starters are now indeed only good for 5 innings. Why pay big $$ for starting pitching if they are maxing out at 150 innings. So hopefully this means Harris can turn Soto-Jimenez-Lange etc into a good position player. 

No team can build a winner by following one or two methods. That's why Avila failed. You can't just develop kids into stars and fill the gaps with free agents. The Tigers will have to take a chance on an aging veteran and make some trades and pick up some bounce back candidates. Maybe take a risk on someone coming back from an injury and trade for a bad contract to get someone good included in the package.

Harris said they will make a lot of moves because that is what he should be doing every year. He can't rely on a 20 year old pitcher taking over a rotation spot or that new free agent to stay healthy and productive. It's a competition of 40 players against other teams and it should be a competition between the Tigers' 40 players as well. Nobody on this team should feel comfortable, not even Javy Baez or Miguel Cabrera.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Press can't seem to decide if Victor has decided to stay or go...

McCosky quickly corrected himself after I corrected him. Don't go to him for transaction minutiae; he is clueless on that front. He is a repeat offender of not understanding. 

Garcia and Reyes are free agents. It isn't that hard, and I don't get why there is confusion. 

Edited by Edman85
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

No team can build a winner by following one or two methods. That's why Avila failed. You can't just develop kids into stars and fill the gaps with free agents. The Tigers will have to take a chance on an aging veteran and make some trades and pick up some bounce back candidates. Maybe take a risk on someone coming back from an injury and trade for a bad contract to get someone good included in the package.

To be fair Avila did all that

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

It is amazing how much discussion there about Reyes all over the place.  He is just a fifth outfielder and fans are talking like this trancation is a big deal.  

Right.  I’ll actually be concerned if we try and re-sign him, unless we’re concerned about our OF depth at Toledo.

17 hours ago, UCFKNIGHT said:

Any interest in Josh Bell? I would really like to see the Tigers sign Jose Abreu away from the White Sox, however I believe Abreu’s contract demands could be very pricey for Scott Harris.

Because you've given up on TORK! already? 😉

Even if, Josh Bell is all bat and nothing else. We had an entire team of that drive us into the rocks for years on end. Pass.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

While this seems like a reasonable approach, I'm going to guess (though it's only that)  that ownership is pushing for results on the field because the "trust me, we are fixing the machine but it's not really going to be working until the day after tomorrow" was more or less what we got from Avila for the last 5 yrs, and it did finally get Al fired.

Yes, this, because after seven years of dog-paddling in place, we need to start putting some Ws on the board already. I don't require playoffs this year, but I simply can't take yet another deferred-gratification season of 100-plus losses.

4 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

No team can build a winner by following one or two methods. That's why Avila failed. You can't just develop kids into stars and fill the gaps with free agents.

I don't know if this can't be done, necessarily—the Cubs did this in 2015—but it definitely could not be done by the Avila cabal.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

It is amazing how much discussion there about Reyes all over the place.  He is just a fifth outfielder and fans are talking like this trancation is a big deal.  

I get where you're coming from, but he started almost 300 games for the Tigers under Avila and at one time was actually considered one of the pieces of a future resurgent Tigers team, so to Tiger fans, that is a big deal!

28 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I get where you're coming from, but he started almost 300 games for the Tigers under Avila and at one time was actually considered one of the pieces of a future resurgent Tigers team, so to Tiger fans, that is a big deal!

Personally, I never considered him to be anything other than what he is.   

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Personally, I never considered him to be anything other than what he is.   

Nor I. But many casual Tiger fans consider him an integral part of the recent teams, and so his departure surprises them. Someone here (who's not at all a casual fan) expressed surprise.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Nor I. But many casual Tiger fans consider him an integral part of the recent teams, and so his departure surprises them. Someone here (who's not at all a casual fan) expressed surprise.

yeah, I know there are some good fans who expressed surprise.  I just think the Tigers have been so terrible for so long, we have forgotten what a real ball player is!

Edited by Tiger337