2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Seems pretty clear that Harris/Hinch/Fetter see Michael Lorenzen as a worthy reclamation project. They want to change him from this:

FAE150C2-71F4-4B73-BACD-0A8C8ACC3A12.jpeg.0980bfa91ccd4526868c893224b98df6.jpeg

Back to reclaiming this:

50170C7A-D647-4751-9984-387D54D040C6.jpeg.611c2b19fc40aaa03b1307f82a42b25a.jpeg

Probably the only area where this franchise currently fits Harris' criteria of "players should want to come here to get better" is pitching, so another one year get right deal makes sense. 

He may be better than half the batting order as well lol

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

This post is correct, although the highlighted number could be lower depending on advances by guys like Torkelson/ Greene/ Meadows, etc. Which also speaks to the fact that, as much as people may roll their eyes at pinning hopes on those already on the roster, in order for them to be even have a chance at being remotely competitive or even sniffing .500 in 2023, more than anything else that is what will make up the difference. Not any one individual free agent signing.

This is correct.

Hey folks, long time no see.

I saw Lorenzen signed with the Tigers so I figured I’d stop by and give a Reds fan perspective on him: 

He gets hurt a lot. 

When he does pitch there will be stretches where’s he just mows down the opposition and he looks like Nolan Ryan. Then there will be long stretches of mediocrity. He’s a very frustrating pitcher to watch because you will watch him at times and not understand why he isn’t one of the best pitchers in baseball. Then he will have 3 starts in a row where you’re wondering why he isn’t DFA’d immediately. 

His arms are massive. Looks like Popeye but on steroids. 

Anyways, hope everyone is doing well, congrats on the 2nd win in a row against the Buckeyes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

yeah, I saw that he's going to start.  It's just that the velocity numbers on the charts are an apples to oranges comp since he was in different roles.

He was also suffering from a shoulder ailment, but that also may have been a result of the shift to starting.

Edited by Longgone

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Probably the only area where this franchise currently fits Harris' criteria of "players should want to come here to get better" is pitching, so another one year get right deal makes sense. 

He may be better than half the batting order as well lol

guy use to throw 6 pitches and bat; maybe Fetter can work some magic and have him do more with less

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I just looked up his numbers: .233/.282/.429. for his career.  Nolt bad.  He wouldn't be the worst hitter in their line-up.    

Yeah, I looked that up too, but contextualizing once you factor in that most of his AB's came in a higher run environment takes the shine off a bit.

54 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I just looked up his numbers: .233/.282/.429. for his career.  Nolt bad.  He wouldn't be the worst hitter in their line-up.    

If not for Ohtani, Lorenzen would be the best hitting pitcher in baseball by a long shot, over even Greinke. 

Holy Christ, Michael Lorenzen looks like the bouncer at the toughest club in town.  If he doesn't make the rotation, who is going to break the news to him?  Hinch?  Fetters?  Get serious, they won't want any part of it.  I'd pick Horton, I bet he could still beat up Lorenzen if it came to that. 

• Haha 1