2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

Roster-wise it's been a very Avilaesque offseason so far.       I hope those new scouting people are really really good.    

Remember 1989-2005?         We're only in the middle of another similar run.    

I know his hands are tied.............but I hate being out of the pennant race in January every year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oblong said:

They must really be hurting on sales.  I had access to some yesterday.  I didn't get any. Not sure I could even get my money back with fees if I got them so why risk it.

So I took the wife and my teenage daughter and son to opening day last year. The girls said wow that was fun to do once. The boy said we gotta do this every year. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So I took the wife and my teenage daughter and son to opening day last year. The girls said wow that was fun to do once. The boy said we gotta do this every year. 🤷‍♂️

I go to see my friends and because baseball is back. But we are over the party atmosphere.  I just can’t take all the public drunkenness.  Same reason I don’t to go o lions games anymore.   We get there early just to secure parking.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Edman85 said:

1. What is wrong with Adam Frazier?

2. Jeter Downs isn't worth a 40 man spot.

Frazier is boring, but not terrible.  It kind of depends on what role he would play.  Would he be the starting 2B or a utility guy who also plays outfield?  I don't know that he is more likely than Schoop to bounce back next year.  

21 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

C Navarez to NYM for 8m w 7m player option; with Plays The Right Way still owed $24M

that's $20M NYM are spending on C in 2023, when their best choice is rookie Alvarez

Cohen: IDGAF

Not sure how up to date it is but last I looked as of a few days ago they were looking at spending well over 400 million after factoring in the luxury tax. The Tigers could add 7 Carlos Correa's contracts and still may not spend that much this year. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure how up to date it is but last I looked as of a few days ago they were looking at spending well over 400 million after factoring in the luxury tax. The Tigers could add 7 Carlos Correa's contracts and still may not spend that much this year. 

yeah, this pushed NYM past $425M including tax

NYY are "only" at $310M

not sure what LAD and Bos are doing, but Padres and Phils passed them as big spenders

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Frazier is boring, but not terrible.  It kind of depends on what role he would play.  Would he be the starting 2B or a utility guy who also plays outfield?  I don't know that he is more likely than Schoop to bounce back next year.  

He also doesn't hit for power. Doesn't mean he wouldn't be useful, but they ideally need to look for guys who occasionally hit home runs

8 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

They definitely don't need another LHH OF, at least in terms of quantity.  But he would bring the versatility of 2B and LHH IF was on the wish list, so OK, that'd be nice.

Schoop's bat may bounce back next year.  I have doubts that he can retain this defensive mastery that seems to have been bestowed upon him.  I think that's a bit of a product of the shift vs LHHs.  He's got the glove and the arm.  The range might be exposed with no shifts.

Regardless, they still need to figure out long term solutions for 2B & 3B and short term for at least one of them (assuming Schoop handles one or the other in 2023).