2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

I actually thought we might sign Benintendi even though he bats lefty. High walks and low strikeouts plus solid defender and only 28 and "affordable". I thought that was the "blueprint". So looks like I am wrong about us adding one "foundation" player this off season. Most everyone on the board was correct that this will be a year of evaluation. I guess thats prudent but we only have one real two way outfielder in Greene and Benintendi could handle our large left field really well and hit one or two in the lineup. Maybe I over valued him. 

50 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I actually thought we might sign Benintendi even though he bats lefty. High walks and low strikeouts plus solid defender and only 28 and "affordable". I thought that was the "blueprint". So looks like I am wrong about us adding one "foundation" player this off season. Most everyone on the board was correct that this will be a year of evaluation. I guess thats prudent but we only have one real two way outfielder in Greene and Benintendi could handle our large left field really well and hit one or two in the lineup. Maybe I over valued him. 

value, but not a good fit; looks like he sacrificed hit over power; just 5 HRs this year; real nice OBP with KC, 387; but rather see if Carpenter or maybe Baddoo can equal the 109 OPS+ that AB has averaged in his career

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Cabrera scored on a sac fly to short left this year, running  Benintendi's arm all the way.  No power and no arm makes him questionable value.

How is it possible that 5/75 is the largest contract in Sox history?  Does that just mean they haven't done 5 years before?

Adam Dunn got 4/56M, they let Sale go, Abreu was 3/50M and then they let him walk.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Adam Dunn got 4/56M, they let Sale go, Abreu was 3/50M and then they let him walk.

Thanks I was too lazy to look up Sale and Abreu and I forgot about Dunn.  So Abreu's AAV was a bit higher but the point was that they haven't done 5 years before.  I'm pretty sure that Benintendi isn't the player that I would break the mould for.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I'd be good with Kerry C. or Akil B. at that contract.

Benintendi is a good player, but I dont know that he made sense here at all.

Oh absolutely, if I can pay Baddoo and Carpenter less than a $1 million each I don't want Benintendi at $15 million.  He's not even close to that value for a team that already has several mediocre LHB outfielders and I don't think he is a plus defender.  Is he better than those 2 guys?  At this stage, you could perhaps say yes, but is he $15 million better?  Absolutely no freaking way.  He's not even $8 million better.  And Baddoo and Carpenter have the possibility of some upside, Benintendi doesn't.  And Carpenter has some power potential which is desperately needed, and Benintendi has none.

So I am glad he signed with the White Sox, I don't think that he makes them stronger.

14 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Setting this deal aside, the main challenge in getting a free agent to choose Detroit might be less about Ilitch keeping the wallet slammed shut, and more about convincing free agents even at the modest level of a Benintendi to be willing to risk five or so of their prime earning years coming to a team with practically the worst reputation in baseball. The year of evaluation will be as much about next year’s top free agents evaluating us, as it will be about our evaluating the players deep into our 40.

It’s a good first step to hire a new brain trust up and down the system and say we’re going to change our process and establish a winning culture, but it’s also up to us to show and prove that it’s really happening. Once we do that, free agents will be vying to come to Detroit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It’s a good first step to hire a new brain trust up and down the system and say we’re going to change our process and establish a winning culture, but it’s also up to us to show and prove that it’s really happening

especially since Al Avila said so many of those same things and then didn't deliver.

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Harris is new here. We'll see what results he gets in this new rebuilding attempt. Get back to me in 5 years for his results.....

If we don’t see remarkable improvements at any time within the next five years, it’s basically a failure. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Tigers will probably grab Eric Hosmer.     LOL. 

IF the Tigers had the plan to start Torkelson in AAA, I could see this.  Hosmer is minimum salary, might be able to handle most of Baez' throws, and hit better last season than all Tigers not named Haase and Carpenter.