2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Madigal is interesting. He's a limited player but he does have good on-base skill. I think one or two guys like Madrigal who are tough outs, even if they don't do much OPS damage, can have more value to a team like Det that doesn't have enough tough outs, than they may have to their current team or the rest of the league. 

he was also touted as elite defender at 2b; with shift limitations, that may be more impactful; seems like a faster version of Polanco

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Madigal is interesting. He's a limited player but he does have good on-base skill. I think one or two guys like Madrigal who are tough outs, even if they don't do much OPS damage, can have more value to a team like Det that doesn't have enough tough outs, than they may have to their current team or the rest of the league. 

I like him.  And we have a hole at 2B.

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

No, it's not.  Teams that battle for the playoffs do the same thing.  They try to achieve the best record so the can advance.  

It is. You claim you would like relegation because it would limit playoff teams. It wouldn't necessarily. You could have more or less playoff teams, relegation is no factor in that. Also, you claim there would be more fan interest with relegation. Maybe so, maybe there would be less. Maybe you kill some franchises. 

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Think we need someone like him, but would prefer a LH bat as possible platoon/fill-in for Tork and/or Miggy.  Hosmer and Belt are possibilities.

ugh. a guy who could play 3 OF slots and be a backstop for Tork if he struggles. would have fit. But, I think any player should look at going to GABP for a bounceback year. tiny park. made Drury huge coin.

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I like him.  And we have a hole at 2B.

also pretty much zero platoon split over his career - much less than any of our recent SH have had.

Madrigal at 2B and Schoop to 3B. And if at some point Keith or Kriedler or Perez can outplay one of them at either spot, that's fine.

Schoop supposedly working on mobility all off-season, but it's not like that will hurt him at 3rd.....:classic_biggrin:

Edited by gehringer_2

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

How’s this for Exhibit A as to how the market has changed: 

A guy who was let go after a below-replacement-level year gets two years, the second one being his option. 

madness. I guess "there are no bad one year deals" - that should now be "there are no bad 2 year deals"

6.5M base with 3.0M incentives possible; so his 2022 season could earn him ... a raise!

Edited by RatkoVarda

1 minute ago, RatkoVarda said:

madness. I guess "there are no bad one year deals" - that should now be "there are no bad 2 year deals"

I’m in the camp that years are more likely to mark a contract as bad than dollars are. we don’t know yet if this qualifies as bad, of course, but raise your hand if you thought Tucker would get a two-year deal including a player option this winter. Now bring your hand back down, because you’re lying.

Can't believe Tucker got 2 years. It's been a crazy free agency. Madrigal would be worth a shot. Pretty clear now that Harris only wants to add position players with potential multiple years of control or, as pointed out on the board, no position players want to rebuild their resume hitting in Comerica. 

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

couple of names to consider in trades that no one asked for:
Baty - would cost a ton; long term piece hopefully

Madrigal - zero power, but may have bat to ball skills Harris wants

Josh Smith and Ezekiel Duran - blocked in Texas; Smith (LH) is wasted in LF

Victor Robles - just 25, elite RH CF defender w/2 years of control left, would pair nicely with Greene (transitioning to a corner) and Parker Meadows (in 2024)

Nolan Gorman - may K too much for Harris, but miscast as 2b

Oswaldo Cabrera (SH) - miscast as OF

Dominic Canzone - 3rd string LH 1b/OF in Arizona

Eguy Rasario - blocked in SD, but a RH bat

Vidal Brujan - over hyped prospect who has shown zero power/production in small samples; Metzler would have insights

Great list. Send it to Scot but observe the Do Not Disturb sign on the hotel door. 

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

How’s this for Exhibit A as to how the market has changed: 

A guy who was let go after a below-replacement-level year gets two years, the second one being his option. 

Holy hell.... 

Decent chance Mario Feliciano will be a more productive player, and at 1/5th of the cost lol

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

I guess I'd like to know where Harris head is ... are we looking outside the org to add players or does he think they can move around some guys and  fill in these roles.... I guess thats the 5 million question really

I think we can take him at his word. His priorities are to add young talent and the prospect pipeline, and build up the medical, training, scouting and developmental systems. He'll add free agents on a very judicious basis.

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

I think we can take him at his word. His priorities are to add young talent and the prospect pipeline, and build up the medical, training, scouting and developmental systems. He'll add free agents on a very judicious basis.

but that talk was before we saw where the market is now.... I mean Tucker Barnhart got 2 years 

17 minutes ago, Longgone said:

So, more of the same.  I just hope he does it better and quicker than the previous regime.  

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

It is. You claim you would like relegation because it would limit playoff teams. It wouldn't necessarily. You could have more or less playoff teams, relegation is no factor in that. Also, you claim there would be more fan interest with relegation. Maybe so, maybe there would be less. Maybe you kill some franchises. 

It wouldn't limit playoff teams, because "American sports fans love brackets".  It COULD be an alternative if the goal is maintaining interest in cities which have losing teams.   This is all theoretical.  

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It wouldn't limit playoff teams, because "American sports fans love brackets".  It COULD be an alternative if the goal is maintaining interest in cities which have losing teams.   This is all theoretical.  

It's like having a classic muscle car, running on five cylinders, and wanting a fancy new chrome gas cap.

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

couple of names to consider in trades that no one asked for:
Baty - would cost a ton; long term piece hopefully

Madrigal - zero power, but may have bat to ball skills Harris wants

Josh Smith and Ezekiel Duran - blocked in Texas; Smith (LH) is wasted in LF

Victor Robles - just 25, elite RH CF defender w/2 years of control left, would pair nicely with Greene (transitioning to a corner) and Parker Meadows (in 2024)

Nolan Gorman - may K too much for Harris, but miscast as 2b

Oswaldo Cabrera (SH) - miscast as OF

Dominic Canzone - 3rd string LH 1b/OF in Arizona

Eguy Rasario - blocked in SD, but a RH bat

Vidal Brujan - over hyped prospect who has shown zero power/production in small samples; Metzler would have insights

Yes, this is a good list. Can also maybe throw in a player like Joe Adell (Angels) and a few more. There hopefully will be some action at some point as the FA names are dwindling everyday (ex WMyers so far today. You would think we could of beaten that offer or the BDrury one as well. Yet, in either case maybe the park played a part also). I actually think Detroit more than likely has made a couple fair offers to FAs hitters - but nothing has come of any of them. Comerica is not a hitters first choice to build value (also just mentioned by ToddWert). Hopefully Detroit will not wait til everyone is signed - then other teams will also be on the trade train.

Even if SHarris (or any FO chief) is on vacation I bet there are check ins and if someone is available the next in charge will be 'given the go' to proceed if something can be consummated. If opportunity knocks you have to be ready, just ask Steve Cohen, lol. Was he not in Hawaii (or somewhere) this past week but still got CCorrea?

48 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

He made a lot of sense... 

Totally agree. 1B maybe some 3B, LF/RF... At this rate the end of next month - there may be no FAs left.

I see Jeter Downs was claimed by WA.

I would say patience is very important here - but it is getting frustrating. SHarris may have under estimated a bit how Comerica plays in the FA one year hitter contract efforts.

Edited by alex