2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

6 minutes ago, alex said:

Yes, this is a good list. Can also maybe throw in a player like Joe Adell (Angels) and a few more. There hopefully will be some action at some point as the FA names are dwindling everyday (ex WMyers so far today. You would think we could of beaten that offer or the BDrury one as well. Yet, in either case maybe the park played a part also). I actually think Detroit more than likely has made a couple fair offers to FAs hitters - but nothing has come of any of them. Comerica is not a hitters first choice to build value (also just mentioned by ToddWert). Hopefully Detroit will not wait til everyone is signed - then other teams will also be on the trade train.

Even if SHarris (or any FO chief) is on vacation I bet there are check ins and if someone is available the next in charge will be 'given the go' to proceed if something can be consummated. If opportunity knocks you have to be ready, just ask Steve Cohen, lol. Was he not in Hawaii (or somewhere) this past week but still got CCorrea?

I would be surprised if Scott wasn't available for business even on his honeymoon.

9 minutes ago, alex said:

Totally agree. 1B maybe some 3B, LF/RF... At this rate the end of next month - there may be no FAs left.

I see Jeter Downs was claimed by WA.

I would say patience is very important here - but it is getting frustrating. SHarris may have under estimated a bit how Comerica plays in the FA one year hitter contract efforts.

There are still some options out there.... Myers is really only the third guy on the board who I thought they may be in on to come down (after Jace Peterson and Haniger).

I don't think he's the greatest player, but I'm kinda warming on Jurickson Profar just due to his versatility in the field and the fact that he seems to fit the need for a guy who knows the strikezone and can take a walk. Also, coincidentally, old LLWS teammates of Jonathan Schoop.

But like a lot of other guys, I have no idea what the market for him is like.... but it seems like there should be more interest than he's gotten so far.

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I would be surprised if Scott wasn't available for business even on his honeymoon.

True.

The other we need to keep in mind is perhaps the Tigers were interested in certain players however the interest wasn’t reciprocal.  It’s certainly not the case with every free agent, but we don’t have access to those details.

I love what Harris has been doing this offseason.   Focus on internal development and figure out what they have in their current prospects.  This team isn’t going anywhere this season even with the benefit of being in the worst division in baseball.   I’m not sure it really makes sense to spend at all in this market.

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

he was also touted as elite defender at 2b; with shift limitations, that may be more impactful; seems like a faster version of Polanco

what are you going to give up for madrigal?  he was a top 5 pick and then was the centerpiece of a trade with the sox.  he's had some injury problems at the mlb level.  i doubt the cubs will give him away for a lefty reliever with control problems.

45 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I love what Harris has been doing this offseason.   Focus on internal development and figure out what they have in their current prospects.  This team isn’t going anywhere this season even with the benefit of being in the worst division in baseball.   I’m not sure it really makes sense to spend at all in this market.

i dont get why everyone is bitching about not spending on free agents.  has everyone forgotten that they spent a ton of money LAST YEAR????  and how did that work out?  

free agents fail to make a meaningful impact more often than not.  spending big money on guys in their 30s is bad business that will come back to haunt you.  and the tigers werent going to get the guys who are 27ish.  

draft and develop your own talent and then pay to keep it (or deal it to bring in more talent).  baseball has a great system for the owners who get these guys for cheap for 6 years!  use that system properly and you can keep the talent pipeline rolling along for years and years.

go trolling for big name free agents and you end up with javy baez.  how'd that work out?

Just now, buddha said:

what are you going to give up for madrigal?  he was a top 5 pick and then was the centerpiece of a trade with the sox.  he's had some injury problems at the mlb level.  i doubt the cubs will give him away for a lefty reliever with control problems.

no idea what the Cubs want. Soto is an obvious start as the Cubs have 2 LHPs on their 40 man roster; Wentz?; do they want Lange back? young pitching is always an asset.

but Madrigal plays 2b and that's blocked for the Cubs. He is coming off an injury, so that going to be a calculated risk that he can come back. take away his speed and you have a problem.

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

8 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

but Madrigal plays 2b and that's blocked for the Cubs. He is coming off an injury, so that going to be a calculated risk that he can come back. take away his speed and you have a problem.

The Injuries have probably driven Madrigal's trade value into the crapper, of course that also means if you get him you may never get anything out of him! Docs would have to have a lot of imput on this one.

I argued with Henning on twitter that the Tigers should take Madrigal 1:1 over Mize because as an every day 2nd baseman with a plus glove and bat at a position the Tigers had no one close to ready...he had more value than a P with the usual injury concerns.  

Then they both get hurt....

Edited by Shinzaki
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

There are still some options out there.... Myers is really only the third guy on the board who I thought they may be in on to come down (after Jace Peterson and Haniger).

I don't think he's the greatest player, but I'm kinda warming on Jurickson Profar just due to his versatility in the field and the fact that he seems to fit the need for a guy who knows the strikezone and can take a walk. Also, coincidentally, old LLWS teammates of Jonathan Schoop.

But like a lot of other guys, I have no idea what the market for him is like.... but it seems like there should be more interest than he's gotten so far.

Yea, just heard/saw a short video excerpt from his platform interview that he (Myers) wanted to get to play at a place closer to home and that the ballpark was a factor. Cannot say for sure, but sounds like he may have had other offers.

16 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Conforto just had his worst season in five years, although he’s young enough to have a decent chance of recovering to his last few years’ level, plus the Giants were desperate to make a move that didn’t end up publicly blowing up in their faces.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Conforto just had his worst season in five years, although he’s young enough to have a decent chance of recovering to his last few years’ level, plus the Giants were desperate to make a move that didn’t end up publicly blowing up in their faces.

He took this past year off.