2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

I am loving watching all these average or worse players get signed in free agency to teams other than the Tigers.  I am actually excited when I see another marginal name and it’s not attached to us.  Let other teams waste money on trash.   Great work Captain Harris.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I am loving watching all these average or worse players get signed in free agency to teams other than the Tigers.  I am actually excited when I see another marginal name and it’s not attached to us.  Let other teams waste money on trash.   Great work Captain Harris.  

It could be wasting money of marginal players, or it could also be that, incredibly, players have been increasingly underpaid versus rising revenues for several years and the pay is just now beginning to catch up.

If the latter is true, then the $64 question will be, will Baby Doc respond competitively when it’s time again to do so, or will he fight against a shifted market and repeatedly get outbid for players we can actually use to help put us over the top? That’s a question we probably won’t know the answer to until at least next offseason, and perhaps not for two.

14 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The reason he took the year off is he had an injury and had a draft pick attached to him last year.

how crazy would it be if Conforto's shoulder is still screwed up and they have to carry an injured guy not named Correa around for the next 2 years? (not rooting for an injury)

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It could be wasting money of marginal players, or it could also be that, incredibly, players have been increasingly underpaid versus rising revenues for several years and the pay is just now beginning to catch up.

If the latter is true, then the $64 question will be, will Baby Doc respond competitively when it’s time again to do so, or will he fight against a shifted market and repeatedly get outbid for players we can actually use to help put us over the top? That’s a question we probably won’t know the answer to until at least next offseason, and perhaps not for two.

Maybe next year my attitude will change but there is nothing that can get us over the top this year.  This team is going to be below .500.  No need to waste money and roster sports in this market.  

48 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

With whats left on the market I think its kind of pointless to sign any of these 1-2 year guys that arent really going to move the win needle. 

I sort of agree, although it's not clear to me that even a guy like Conforto was going to move the win needle all that much for a team that only won 66 games last year.

That's a big reason why big named free agents tend to end up on teams on the precipice of contending, and it's not just about money.... similar to the "last mile" problem in transportation engineering and logistics, free agency is the thing that gets you across the finish line and from 80-85 wins to 90+ wins. Versus being something that you can completely remake a roster sub-70 win roster with. There are exceptions, but that's generally not how it works.

A lot of the ground is gonna have to be made up from what is on the roster, and honestly I think it can be if a lot of things go right this year.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Maybe next year my attitude will change but there is nothing that can get us over the top this year.  This team is going to be below .500.  No need to waste money and roster sports in this market.  

I still think the near term priority is getting the structure of the organization in the right direction.  Its not to say that the on field is to be ignored.  Certainly there are gains to be made there, beginning with continuous development of prospects and hopefully finding rebounds among the numerous veteran bats that disappointed.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

I still think the near term priority is getting the structure of the organization in the right direction.  Its not to say that the on field is to be ignored.  Certainly there are gains to be made there, beginning with continuous development of prospects and hopefully finding rebounds among the numerous veteran bats that disappointed.

I agree, although I do think the Tigers will make 1-2 additional signings when it is all said and done. Even if they don't satisfy everyone's desires for big names.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

The ground is gonna have to be made up from what is on the roster, and honestly I think it can be if a lot of things go right this year.

So, Meadows, Schoop, and Baez hit at career averages.  Full & healthy reasonably good seasons from Greene and Torkelson.  How many wins does that add on its own?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

So, Meadows, Schoop, and Baez hit at career averages.  Full & healthy reasonably good seasons from Greene and Torkelson.  How many wins does that add on its own?

so we win 70 games  because you know its not everything is going to be good... injures and bad season are going to happen

Edited by Toddwert

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

Meadows, Schoop and Baez would be 5-6 wins, Riley Greene and Spencer Torkelson might be a 4-5 wins. So 9-11.... very rough from looking at WAR.

Add in Spencer Turnbull, whose presence is probably worth another win or two if he performs well. Could maybe throw Jake Rogers into the mix, but I'm less sold.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

Just now, mtutiger said:

Meadows, Schoop and Baez would be 5-6 wins, Riley Greene and Spencer Torkelson might be a 5-6 wins. So 10-12.... very rough from looking at WAR.

Add in Spencer Turnbull, whose presence is probably worth another win or two if he performs well. Could maybe throw Jake Rogers into the mix, but I'm less sold.

Well, as far as catcher is concerned, it shouldn't be too difficult to improve upon what Barnhart "produced".

15 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

so we win 70 games  because you know its not everything is going to be good... injures and bad season are going to happen

The flip side to that is that a big part of their 66 wins last year was an abnormal about of injuries and guys having bad seasons. And they have three guys coming into the next season (Meadows, Turnbull and Rogers) who were non-entities on the 2022 team and one expects they will contribute more than they did in 2022, which on its own makes them a better ballclub.

Maybe 2022 was almost the inverse of 2021.... just as maybe it wasn't realistic guys to repeat performances from 2021, water can always find its level in 2023 versus a year like 2022 when nothing went right.

Edited by mtutiger

29 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Absolutely, playing at the top end of the market was never going to work out for us now, and they may have decided that even the middle of the market is overpriced in years for them. That's really what the crux of the biscuit for the Tigers is: it's more about the years than the money, and we don't want to throw more than a year at anybody because we don't want multi-year marginal players hanging around and screwing up our plans in, say, 2025.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's really what the crux of the biscuit for the Tigers is: it's more about the years than the money, and we don't want to throw more than a year at anybody because we don't want multi-year marginal players hanging around and screwing up our plans in, say, 2025.

Yeah, there's definitely something about the years thing with this market.... even Tucker Barnhart is getting two years lol

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Yes, he had had his worst season in five years in 2021, and take the year off last year. Still gets 2/38 with an out in year two. 

It was due to an injury.  It's not like he mysteriously lost his skills.  Still, they need to be really confident that he is completely recovered after his time off.