2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

19. Zach Logue, SP

Drafted: 9th Round, 2017 from Kentucky (TOR)
Age 25.9 Height 6′ 0″ Weight 165 Bat / Thr L / L FV 40
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball Slider Changeup Cutter Command Sits/Tops
40/40 45/45 60/60 50/50 60/60 91-93 / 95

Logue slips his 91-93 mph fastball past hitters at the letters thanks to its upward angle, created by Logue’s low arm slot. He pretty evenly mixes in a changeup, cutter and slider, with his change operating as his swing-and-miss, finishing pitch. Though neither of his breaking balls is especially nasty, Logue has precise command of them, especially of his cutter, which knifes in on the hands of righty batters with remarkable consistency. The whole package enabled Logue to strike out 144 hitters in 125 innings at Double- and Triple-A in 2021. His workload foundation and proximity to the big leagues mean we’ll likely see Logue in Toronto in 2022. He’s a high-probability backend starter.

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Judging by Logue's numbers he appears to be a scout signing cause theres nothing in the stats that give me any hope. Somebody must have seen something in him that they think they can work with, atleast that's what I hope.

Just my two cents, but his production as part of the Blue Jays organization shows why they may like him. Didn't walk a lot of guys and his K/9 was increasing before his trade.

Not saying that the stuff with the A's/Las Vegas doesn't matter, but it's a little bit like Mario Feliciano and that they may want to attempt to reclaim some of what made him a ranked prospect in the Jays org.

It may not work, but this approach is smart and Avila never really did stuff like this. 

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Zach Logue's numbers are not impressive. I dare chasfh to pull out his percentile charts.  On the the bright side, he is a lefty with good control.  

Not a fan, huh? I find them fairly instructive. You don't have to agree. I'll still post them here when the mood strikes me.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Judging by Logue's numbers he appears to be a scout signing cause theres nothing in the stats that give me any hope. Somebody must have seen something in him that they think they can work with, atleast that's what I hope.

I think it's likely he gets churned.

4 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

26. Kervin Castro, SIRP

Signed: July 2nd Period, 2015 from Venezuela (SFG)
Age 23.0 Height 6′ 0″ Weight 210 Bat / Thr R / R FV 40
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Fastball Curveball Command Sits/Tops
60/60 50/55 30/40 93-96 / 98

Castro converted from catching to the mound late in his amateur career and while he hadn’t pitched outside of short-season ball entering the 2020 season, he was the talk of Instructional League and moved to a bullpen roll in order to hasten his advancement to the big leagues. Challenged with an assignment to Triple-A to enter the 2021 season, he excelled in short stints and ended the year with 10 scoreless appearances with the major league club. Nearly as wide as he is tall, Castro leans heavily on a two-pitch mix, with his bread and butter being a mid-90s fastball that can touch 98 mph and plays even better than the velocity thanks to vertical shape and rising action. He has a weird low-80s curve that features solid depth despite low-spin rates, but the pitch is highly inconsistent, flashing both plus and fringy. Unlike many ex-catchers on the mound, Castro has an easy arm action and repeats his delivery well. But while his control is solid, his command can be a bit spotty at times. He’ll likely break camp in the big leagues, and should have a long career as a seventh/eighth inning type.

The job of Big Fat Righthanded Reliever was open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Harris speaks (apologies if already posted)

https://apple.news/AljmZaoBeR4KN9FUg1jK3LA

Sounds like “We are going to tank, spend as little money as possible, and make a profit off of revenue sharing.”  It’s a familiar formula.

The “improvement” speech might’ve worked eight years ago, but not now. 

Looks like I’ll be making the drive to Toledo. Go Hens!

46 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not a fan, huh? I find them fairly instructive. You don't have to agree. I'll still post them here when the mood strikes me.

It was a joke combining the ideas that you present these charts a lot and Logue has some of the worst percentile ranks I have seen.   I think the ranks are interesting and can be instructive in certain cases, but they are not predictive in general.  

13 minutes ago, Clinkeroo said:

Sounds like “We are going to tank, spend as little money as possible, and make a profit off of revenue sharing.”  It’s a familiar formula.

The “improvement” speech might’ve worked eight years ago, but not now. 

Looks like I’ll be making the drive to Toledo. Go Hens!

That’s what you took from that?

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Neither do I. 

Thought experiment: what if, between now and the end of the offseason, they end up landing a couple of the remaining bigger names. For arguments sake, let's say it's Profar and Jean Segura. If those signings had happened at the end of the Winter Meetings versus in January, would people still be saying they "weren't active" this offseason?

People don't like to hear it, but the free agency period isn't over yet. The offseason isn't over yet. You don't get bonus points for filling your holes in early December versus filling them in late January... the holes either get filled or they do not. 

I dont know what they will or won't do between now and the offseason. But the fact that they haven't signed for any of their stated offensive needs or the fact that the Jon Heyman types haven't thrown their name out (ie. laundered agent talking points) doesn't mean nothing will happen going forward.

I either forgot or didn’t realize how Profar’s BB% and SO% fit well into what Harris wants.  Same for Segura on the SO% side.

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

low delivery? Hinch is a proponent of the theory that you want your relivers to all look different so each one is a change of pace. Might be part of the motivation to give a guy with a low arm angle a look.