2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Just throwing it out there, but given that the Tigers employ his former manager in Houston, I wonder if he had insights / concerns about the leg injury during the time that they were negotiating last year.

It's generally implied that Hinch would have wanted Correa, but the level of familiarity also informs him on whatever flaws or weaknesses he has as well.

True, and it is also possible that Correa did not want to play for Hinch again.

25 minutes ago, oblong said:

Wasn’t Hinch spotted having dinner with Correa during that off season ? I recall a bunch of speculation.  

He was.

I don't buy that the two wouldn't want to work together, but Hinch is a manager who has a global view of an organization (owing to his background in front office roles) and I suspect he's probably able to judge a player's value fairly objectively. And also knows Correa well having managed him.

Kinda seeing how this saga has played out (last offseason and this) has left me thinking the Tigers may not have lowballed and Hinch should have been taken more at face value when he stood behind the Baez signing

31 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Hard to see a scenario where Drury was ever coming here even if the money were right.

Thats the thing, you can make a good offer, but ultimately the player still has to accept.

Come on We have a Ferris Wheel and Merry go round...... almost the same thing right?😉

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Sure, but it's only been a couple of months.  You can't expect dramatic observable changes to a crap organization in that amount of time.  Dombrowski took more than a full year before he started making major moves for the Tigers.   

I agree with this.  In fact, I think the article was a softer version of Dombrowski’s “you trade him” speech.  It’s just a never ending rebuild is all and I don’t see any impetus to improve with the MLB gravy train making it profitable.  I’m getting older and a little more impatient, I’d like to relive my memories of ‘84 before my game is over.

15 minutes ago, Clinkeroo said:

I agree with this.  In fact, I think the article was a softer version of Dombrowski’s “you trade him” speech.  It’s just a never ending rebuild is all and I don’t see any impetus to improve with the MLB gravy train making it profitable.  I’m getting older and a little more impatient, I’d like to relive my memories of ‘84 before my game is over.

Let’s hope we have the right guy in charge.

There's so much discussion about the impetus to improve, yet I'm not sure that Brandon Drury or Wil Myers signing with other teams means much given the ultimate impact either one would have on the team is pretty small. Nor do I think it was ever realistic to expect them to be in play for bigger free agents this cycle. 

There just isn't a way to cheat code around the fact that the existing pieces on the roster, particularly the young players like Greene and Tork, need to play better in order to make up ground after winning 66 games in 2022. And that the organization needs to do a better job drafting and developing talent that can be utilized at the major league level and / or leveraged in trades. 

On the latter point, DD was able to do a lot of that, but it took a lot of pain to get there. Harris was maybe left a marginally better situation, but it's still not great and will take time. Overall, I think portions of the fanbase have been unrealistic in their expectations this offseason given the situation that Al left, and DD kind of stands as an example of that, the fact that it took four years to fix Randy Smith's mess. We all remember the good times but paper over the bad times

Edited by mtutiger

On 12/24/2022 at 3:14 PM, oblong said:

And it could have just been two dudes meeting up to hang out.  I have 6 former bosses in my career and could easily meet them on Tuesday for a brunch. It wouldn’t be weird. 

I remember the story was that Hinch was giving Correa a gift for his new baby.    Maybe it was so heavy it caused an injury that is messing up his offseason. 

It’s being reported that there is interest in Chris Sale.  He’s injury-prone and a knucklehead.  This tells me three things: 

1) There must also be interest in ERod, who is a better bet.

2) Since there are no “reports” about this, or any other Tigers, Mr. Harris and team are incredibly tight-lipped, similar to how DD ran things.

3) #2 is going to drive a lot of folks here into a frenzy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

It’s being reported that there is interest in Chris Sale.  He’s injury-prone and a knucklehead.  This tells me three things: 

1) There must also be interest in ERod, who is a better bet.

2) Since there are no “reports” about this, or any other Tigers, Mr. Harris and team are incredibly tight-lipped, similar to how DD ran things.

3) #2 is going to drive a lot of folks here into a frenzy.

#2 is usually taken as evidence that Harris is sitting back and not doing anything.

• Like 1