2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

On 12/31/2022 at 9:47 PM, CMU97 said:

He does. If I remember correctly,  it was with a stripper who sued him for oodles of money for child support. I do remember it being a big story back in the day.

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=20020815&slug=albeat15

Sounds Ike an ex-fiance, unsure of profession. A simple Google search is all the effort I'm willing to put into this

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Won't predict a record, but even if they did nothing further I expect them to be better offensively in 2023

I think your also discounting that they are playing a harder schedule next seasin with playing other divisions more and the Central less

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

This guy can hit!  Maybe, he can change the Tigers offensive indentity.  😀 Or maybe the Mets, Yankees and Dodgers can stockpile more talent.   

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/kbos-kiwoom-heroes-to-post-lee-jung-hoo-after-2023-season.html

they never seem to be a player in the Asian leagues, either for Asian or Western players, at least not since Cecil

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

they never seem to be a player in the Asian leagues, either for Asian or Western players, at least not since Cecil

I don't think Harris has a history in that market either.  Lee-Jung-Hoo definitely seems to fit the "dominates the strike zone" profile though.  

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

I think your also discounting that they are playing a harder schedule next season with playing other divisions more and the Central less

That doesn't affect our offensive efficiency though.

It affects our final win-loss record.

I'm on board with our offense recovering in 2023 (I don't know to what level) because it can't get any worse than it was in 2022. 

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

I think your also discounting that they are playing a harder schedule next seasin with playing other divisions more and the Central less

I am accounting for that. They will be better offensively next year than they were this year, even if they did nothing additional 

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Tigers did pursue Segura, but South Florida was a bigger draw

Segura is the latest in a series of infielders that have also been connected to the Tigers. The club also had reported interest in Adam Frazier who has now signed with the Orioles and Wil Myers who will be with the Reds in 2023. Brian Andersonwas also listed among their targets, who is still available. Now that the Tigers have missed on Segura, Myers and Frazier, they could circle back to Anderson, or look to other free agent infielders such as Josh Harrison, Donovan Solano or Rougned Odor. None of those players will likely break the bank and the Tigers should have a bit of payroll wiggle room. They are currently at $124MM, per the calculations of Roster Resource, south of the $135MM Opening Day figure they had last year, per Cot’s Baseball Contracts.

It seems like no one who has literally any other options (C’mon, Reds? Jesus …) wants to come to Detroit. We will probably have to overpay substantially to get any of the remaining guys.

Edited by chasfh

I was thinking they might have a shot at Segura.  He would have been OK, but it's not worth getting upset about missing out. 

I can imagine the response from Tigers fans if they sign Josh Harrison.  They had him four years ago and he seemed washed up then.  Now, he's going to be 35.  

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I was thinking they might have a shot at Segura.  He would have been OK, but it's not worth getting upset about missing out. 

I can imagine the response from Tigers fans if they sign Josh Harrison.  They had him four years ago and he seemed washed up then.  Now, he's going to be 35.  

If it comes down to Brian Anderson versus the other offerings, hopefully they can get Anderson. At least you can squint and see a little upside there versus just being a total retread 

Brian Anderson is a gimpy whifftastic hitter with doubles power who a bad defensive year last year. So, basically, a less healthy Jeimer. He could probably recover defensively, but that 90 wRC+ is probably what he's going to give whomever signs him.

6 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Doubtful he can be ready, iffy if he can handle third base.

@RoadtoDetroit's last retweet.

Some of it is hype, but I dont think Beck is writing articles suggesting he could be the dude at 3rd if they don't think he can do it.

Not saying they are right or wrong, just more that it seems like they are signaling how they will develop and use JHM.

Edited by mtutiger

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Some of it is hype, but I dont think Beck is writing articles suggesting he could be the dude at 3rd if they don't think he can do it.

Not saying they are right or wrong, just more that it seems like they are signaling how they will develop and use JHM.

He's only had two years of pro ball, and only half season above A ball, with a fairly high k rate, and he has done nothing (yet) to show he can stick at third. He would have to make monumental leaps this offseason to be ready for the bigs. Possible, but unlikely.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Beck is maybe the most conservative baseball writer ever, so I usually take him seriously.  He doesn't indicate that Malloy has a chance to take over 3B soon though.  He said he could be in their long-term plans.