2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

another coach with another method to get quicker to the ball.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2023/01/01/detroit-tigers-kerry-carpenter-career-changing-launch-quickness-aaron-judge/69758936007/

Former Division II baseball player Richard Schenck, the self-taught personal hitting coach for Detroit Tigers outfielder Kerry Carpenter, was sitting on his porch in April 2018 in Missouri when he received a phone call from Manny Ramirez, a 12-time MLB All-Star who played 19 seasons.

Ramirez, a two-time World Series champion, wanted to discuss Schenck's greatest discovery.

Launch quickness.

"I don't like you," Ramirez said. "I saw a video of you, and you said I didn't know what I was doing."

"Manny, you could do it," said Schenck, a 67-year-old father of three from St. Peters, Missouri — a suburb of St. Louis — who owns a pool hall called "Teachers Billiards." Schenck, who learned to emulate Barry Bonds' swing in his basement, told Ramirez, "You're one of the best ever at it, but you couldn't explain what you did."

One of Schenck's latest success stories is Carpenter, a 19th-round pick in the 2019 draft from Virginia Tech. The Tigers didn't invite him to their minor-league minicamp last February, which included the likes of then-top prospects Spencer Torkelson and Riley Greene, and quietly shipped him to Double-A Erie to begin the 2022 season.

Nobody was talking about him.

By August, Carpenter had 30 home runs in the minor leagues, followed by a promotion for his MLB debut. This February, the 25-year-old will compete in spring training for a spot on the 2023 Opening Day roster. If all goes as planned, he could establish himself as an everyday player.

"I wouldn't be in the big leagues if I didn't go see Rich," Carpenter said. "I think that's a true statement. I wouldn't have the ability to hit the velocity that I've hit all year and then also be able to adjust to the offspeed. The quickness that my swing gives me was a catalyst for the year that I had."...

....What Carpenter learned from Schenck resembles what Ramirez accomplished naturally. He also taught the concept of launch quickness to Aaron Judge. In January 2018, Judge endorsed Schenck to the baseball world — three months before Ramirez's phone call — as the next big thing.

Edited by gehringer_2

In an ideal world, here is your 2025 team (assumes no external acquisitions):

C Dingler/Rogers

1B Torkelson 

2B W. Perez 

SS J. Baez

3B Keith

LF Malloy

CF Greene

RF Carpenter

DH Jung

SP Skubal

SP Mize

SP ERod

SP Turnbull

SP Manning

Pen: Lange, Madden Wentz, Dylan Smith, Vest, Flores, Olson

Sorry, I’m bored.

Edited by Tenacious D

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

C Dingler/Rogers

1B Torkelson 

2B W. Perez 

SS J. Baez

3B Keith

LF Malloy

CF Greene

RF Carpenter

DH Jung

SP Skubal

SP Mize

SP ERod

SP Turnbull

SP Manning

Sorry, I’m bored.

We're all bored so given the 22 players on your list what's the over / under for the number actually on the team say July 1 2025 ?  I will start with 8

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

C Dingler/Rogers

1B Torkelson 

2B W. Perez 

SS J. Baez

3B Keith

LF Malloy

CF Greene

RF Carpenter

DH Jung

SP Skubal

SP Mize

SP ERod

SP Turnbull

SP Manning

Sorry, I’m bored.

I guess I have a hard time believing the 2025 Detroit Tigers have a majority of its roster within the organization right now.  Harris hasn't done enough on the player side to make me think he's got enough of his imprint on it that that we can project past two full seasons of play to see what that next roster will look like.

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

In an ideal world, here is your 2025 team (assumes no external acquisitions😞

C Dingler/Rogers

1B Torkelson 

2B W. Perez 

SS J. Baez

3B Keith

LF Malloy

CF Greene

RF Carpenter

DH Jung

SP Skubal

SP Mize

SP ERod

SP Turnbull

SP Manning

Sorry, I’m bored.

Not sure the point of a practice that makes such an unrealistic assumption?

Ha.  At least it was successful in driving forum engagement.  Yes, of course there will be numerous transactions that will ultimately impact what the team looks like in 2025.  This is strictly looking at the positional depth of the current organization, similar to what Baseball America does in their annual team reviews.

I apologize for all of the angst and sadness my post caused.  Moving forward I’ll try and post on more realistic topics, like relegation in MLB.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Ha.  At least it was successful in driving forum engagement.  Yes, of course there will be numerous transactions that will ultimately impact what the team looks like in 2025.  This is strictly looking at the positional depth of the current organization, similar to what Baseball America does in their annual team reviews.

I apologize for all of the angst and sadness my post caused.  Moving forward I’ll try and post on more realistic topics, like relegation in MLB.

maybe we  need a list of approved topics ? People seem to get up tight about nonsense discussions in the middle of winter

11 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

C Dingler/Rogers

1B Torkelson 

2B W. Perez 

SS J. Baez

3B Keith

LF Malloy

CF Greene

RF Carpenter

DH Jung

SP Skubal

SP Mize

SP ERod

SP Turnbull

SP Manning

Sorry, I’m bored.

Comically, IMO....

Every player except one on your list is an Avila player...

Just sayin'...

40 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Your post was fine and certainly its interesting to look at where things would fall if nothing else changed.