2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Ha.  At least it was successful in driving forum engagement.  Yes, of course there will be numerous transactions that will ultimately impact what the team looks like in 2025.  This is strictly looking at the positional depth of the current organization, similar to what Baseball America does in their annual team reviews.

I apologize for all of the angst and sadness my post caused.  Moving forward I’ll try and post on more realistic topics, like relegation in MLB.

How about playoff contraction?

Or a new deadball era.  

Edited by Tiger337

22 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Or a new deadball era.  

I’ve never said that Baseball’s deadening the ball was realistic. Whenever someone either inside the Game or out would complain about how the game has evolved, I’ve said that deadening the ball would solve a lot of their problems, those related to too many strikeouts, too few balls in play, use of the shift, pitcher injuries, too much station-to-station, pace of play, length of games, etc.

But I’ve also said that Baseball is addicted to home runs and strikeouts, the mano a mano outcomes that constitutes 60% of their marketing materials, so there’s no real incentive for them to consider it, and that it’s more likely they double down on the so-called True Outcomes, which I think we may see a resurgence of in 2023.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’ve never said that Baseball’s deadening the ball was realistic. Whenever someone either inside the Game or out would complain about how the game has evolved, I’ve said that deadening the ball would solve a lot of their problems, those related to too many strikeouts, too few balls in play, use of the shift, pitcher injuries, too much station-to-station, pace of play, length of games, etc.

But I’ve also said that Baseball is addicted to home runs and strikeouts, the mano a mano outcomes that constitutes 60% of their marketing materials, so there’s no real incentive for them to consider it, and that it’s more likely they double down on the so-called True Outcomes, which I think we may see a resurgence of in 2023.

I wasn't referring to you in particular in my post.  I have also suggested that deadening the ball would solve some of the problems people talk about.  I also agree that baseball wants home runs more than they want to solve problems with the game.   

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Fact is, Chris McCosky is probably close to the truth on this—i.e., Tigers will probably be relying on in-house assets for offensive improvement this season—which is something I think most of us have come around to in the past couple of week.

If you lined up everything Al Avila said when he got the job and everything Harris has said since he got the job, you be hard pressed to see any daylight between them. Of course that could be because you have an owner who actually does know what he wants even if his 1st hire could only talk about it instead of doing it. And of course the ultimate irony now is that given that (barring a trade) there will be no impact offensive players added, if they do rebound it's going to be with Avila's players.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Based on articles filed this morning, looks as though Corey might be ready to shine a harsh light on Harris:

Although Chris seems a tad more eager to use the power of his pen to maintain his team access through good public relations:

The headline writer for Cody's piece makes it sound a lot harsher that it actually is.

I am still going to give Harris time, but any hope I have is based on faith at this time.  We can hope that Boyd and Lorenzon have big seasons like some of the pitchers he acquired for the Giants, but if Avila made the same signings. fans would have laughed at him.  The Jimenez trade looks good, but Avila made some good relief pitcher for prospect deals too.     I like the constant waiver wire additions as a way to build depth, but it's not likely to produce any meaningful improvement.   

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am still going to give Harris time, but any hope I have is based on faith at this time.  We can hope that Boyd and Lorenzon have big seasons like some of the pitchers he acquired for the Giants, but if Avila made the same signings. fans would have laughed at him.  The Jimenez trade looks good, but Avila made some good relief pitcher for prospect deals too.     I like the constant waiver wire additions as a way to build depth, but it's not likely to produce any meaningful improvement.   

yup.

The sad truth is that we still have to hope that we have been wrong about Al and that he was just done in by an epic run of bad luck because if the foundation he put in place and the players in the pipeline he put there do not produce, Harris is going to have a mighty long build out to do. 

Edited by gehringer_2